When did it become fashionable for pseuds to dislike him and belittle his novel?

When did it become fashionable for pseuds to dislike him and belittle his novel?

Other urls found in this thread:

electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03
harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/HarpersMagazine-2001-04-0070913.pdf
exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Around the time reddit was created

circa 2017, but don't worry, it's a temporal meme and DFW was a great author.

Women
It's literally women. Their tone has shifted over the ten years. They used to be impressed by guys who read Infinite Jest because it's big and dense and smart people have written good things about it. Then, with the explosion of twitter, women started to form their own opinion about the book, which of course, was not about the book (because they never actually read it), but rather on the pseuds who had tried to use Infinite Jest to sleep with them. So all of a sudden, "DFW is for fuckbois," as a girl I had over told me the other day, completely unprompted after she had seen it on my shelf.
So, of course, you now have the pathetic pseuds, who just five scant years ago would have been singing its praises, spouting misinformed hatred about bandana-man all for the same reason: audience pucci

This is a good thing, I don't want nu-males to be reading based Dave

>"DFW is for fuckbois," as a girl I had over told me

-user 2018

Its just the cycle of contrarians once in a year or two when it becomes "uncool" to like DFW then people will start praising him again.

Real woke people know DFW has written some of the best works of literature in the past half century

>when she sez dfw is for fuccbois

Who cares they'll get over it eventually

Is there any necessary reading before starting it?

the M*A*S*H Complete DVD Collection

>fashionable
friendly reminder that save for middlebrow amerimutt and one wop youtuber who does not like him anymore anyway, dfw is utterly irelevant outside of burgerstan

dammit now I want that teeshirt

>one wop youtuber who does not like him anymore anyway
The_bookchemist?

>actually knowing the literary opinions of people on youtube

so you're one of these pseuds who follows what opinion is fashionable on DFW nowadays?

Lit used to be on his dick not a while ago, we still have the book. Pseuds will take care of themselves

This is legitimately good

proof he was a patrician

I recently got into his work. I find him enjoyable so far, but I can definitely see how people would be turned off by his rambling and at times manic prose. The recent dismissals I've seen of him however are generally shallow and mindless.

I want you to be completely honest right now, not just with me but also with yourself: are you a fuckboy?

axaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa
wow nice bait

It's not bait, he's right.

electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03

>Article does that thing where the pull quotes from the article appear directly beside their actual occurrence in the article
Why are the people who run these pretentious self-indulgent blogs always so incompetent?

>Is there any necessary reading before starting it?
Required -- White Noise, Speedboat, Naked Lunch

Optional -- Hamlet, Gravity's Rainbow, Emerson's Essays

It's a good book for first getting into hard literature, in my opinion. From there you can hopscotch into Joyce, Rushdie's bigger novels, Woolf, and modern classics with a little less difficulty than the average person.

Infinite Jest is a crossroads, a horrible final destination tho

God I hate this article so fucking much, and I'm a girl btw ;).
She's using literature primarily as a marker/reinforcer of her own identity, just like the pseud dudes she's criticizing.

Seconding Speedboat in particular

>has never read dfw
>hates him because men who like him fits a stereotype she hates

kill me now

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen the movie with Jason Segel of him? Is it any good?

Its not great. They over emphasized the autistic weirdo angle

it's funny that she mentions Justice Gorsuch

I'm reading the book Nino & Me about Justice Scalia's friendship with the lexicographer Bryan Garner, and they were introduced to each other by DFW

i guess DFW really is essential WASP-core

It's okay. Jesse Eisenberg is a chore to look at.

better than the shitheap that was the BIWHM adaptation.

Wait, how did DFW know Scalia?

through a love of language

harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/HarpersMagazine-2001-04-0070913.pdf

This essay had to do with Bryan Garner's "Modern American Usage", which he admired

Garner got to have lunch with Scalia through DFW, and eventually they became co-authors on "Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts"

It's genuinely bad, they are just not familiar with the meme of pretending to enjoy this particular talentless snowlfake because he offed himself

t. fuccboi

Go to bed Mira

This is bait but you're right. No one reads infinite jest, but the women who don't read it read that one click bait article making fun of the fans and it became a meme. I've never heard a good explanation why exactly DFW is for fuckbois, because it's not clear. There just one click bait hit piece that takes a faux feminist stance (could have been any cause really) and that faux cause hides the weak argument the author made. If I'm missing something somebody roast me, (but be specific)

people hate post-modernism because they’re big bags of cynical denial!

contrarianism because a substantial minority of DFW's fans are really annoying

>Staw Whas T-shirt

DFW is the Rick and Morty of literature

DFW had real cultural capital for a short period and so he was actually for fuccbois then but also he was picked up by genuine readers, etc. The problem is the girls who write these thinkpeices just hang out in NY bars and get hit on by people who aren't at home reading, who are, guess what, fuccbois trying to impress girls who write thinkpeices and hang out in NY bars by namedropping hot contemporary authors. The same sorts of dudes are in there right now talking about Knauusgard and shit talking Franzen because it's popular to. It's easy to pick up the lingo if you just read the NYer and hang out on middlebrow twitter. Mark my words Knauusgard will be the next fuccboi/mysoginst thing after Min Kamf is finished,

>misogynist
lol at you

I asked to be roasted. You just agreed with me. Fuck you but also I agree completely

>muahahahahaha
>jump into the water
>us adults are all miserable, don't be like us
>that speeding driver has a crying baby inside
>frolic in the water
>muahahahahaha

e unibus pluram

reading infinite jest atm (like halfway through) but just saw that speedboat is only 200 pages, gonna read it today on my kindle i think

This is just how it works.

First something is cool, then its not, then it is again, then its not again, and so on.

Humans are, among other things, predictable.

Cool shirt Dave. Where'd ya get it?

A reminder:
exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/

Very good piece.

Yeah. Oh well, at least they'll never touch Pale King.

Nah, you can just start with IJ if you want. It might be a good idea to check out some of his essays first though. A lot of similar themes.