What's a good compilation of Pushkin's poetry for someone who has never read any Russian lit before?

What's a good compilation of Pushkin's poetry for someone who has never read any Russian lit before?

Other urls found in this thread:

russianlegacy.com/russian_culture/poetry/pushkin.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Reading translated poetry
Fuck off.

Pushkin is really hot rn, beautiful writer

Stop being retarded please

Goddammit why is it so hard to have any real discussion on this board.

look at the URL and see where you are

>translated Pushkin
Хocпaди Ииcyce, кaк yжacнo

>haha I said something ironic in response to your serious question :)
>uh no I don't actually know anything about the topic at hand

Veeky Forums: The Shitpost

forreal homie, much love. follow the songs.
russianlegacy.com/russian_culture/poetry/pushkin.htm

Diana’s breast is charming, brothers,
And Flora’s cheek, I quite agree
But I prefer above these others
The foot of sweet Terpsichore.
It hints to probing, ardent glances
Of rich rewards and peerless trances;
Its token beauty stokes the fires,
The willful swarm of hot desires.
My dear Elvina, I adore it--
Beneath the table barely seen,
In springtime on the meadow’s green,
In winter with the hearth before it,
Upon the ballroom’s mirrored floor,
Or perched on granite by the shore.

I recollect the ocean rumbling:
O who I envied then the waves--
Those rushing tides in tumult tumbling
To fall about her feet like slaves!
I longed to join the waves in pressing
Upon those feet these lips…caressing.
No, never midst the fiercest blaze
Of wildest youth’s most fervent days
Was I so racked with yearning’s anguish:
No maiden’s lips were equal bliss,
No rosy cheek that I might kiss,
Or sultry breast on which to languish.
No never once did passion’s flood
So rend my soul, so flame my blood.

Another memory finds me ready:
In cherished dreams I sometimes stand
And hold the lucky stirrup steady,
Then feel her foot within my hand!
Once more imagination surges,
Once more that touch ignites and urges
The blood within this withered heart:
Once more the love…once more the dart!
But stop…Enough! My babbling lyre
Has overpraised these haughty things:
They’re hardly worth the songs one sings
Or all the passions they inspire;
Their charming words and glances sweet
Are quite as faithless as their feet.

Rusbro here
The only way to read Pushkin is to learn Russian.Most of the beauty in Pushkin comes from the way he is able to manipulate the Russian language.Translated works are only a third of what you experience with Russian.

Post the best Russian readings of Pushkin

This is true of all verse translations. Do you think what Shakespeare did with English can be understood in Russian to more than a third (or whatever arbitrary fraction you want to pick)? Naturally not, but that doesn't mean there's no point in translating him. Besides, Pushkin himself read Byron only in French, yet that turned out to be quite significant, didn't it?

Not him, but you are, without doubt, the retarded one. Why would you read Shakespeare in translation? Would you?

Can we not argue about translated poetry and just answer my question?

Shakespeare survives translation fairly well compared to other poets because lots of the beauty comes from his original and elaborate metaphors.
Other poets (particularly pushkin) rely on the music and sounds of the words and for this reason don't survive translation as well.

That being said, I still mostly avoid translated poetry.
The exception is translations by great poets, which I consider more of their work than the original poets, or like a cover of a song by another band. Examples of these are pound's seafarer and Rossetti's translation of Dante's sestina of the lady Pietra degli Scrovigni

>>never read russians before
>>starts with fucking Pushkin
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Who would YOU start with then, RETARD???

but didn't pushkin craft what is the modern russian language in the same way Dante did with italian? Retard.

Oh I dunno
Why not the fucking BROTHERS KARAMAZOFF ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL BOOKS EVER FOR INSTANCE YOU DROOLING RETARD?
Or perhaps why not ANNA KARENINA ONE OF THE MOST REDPILLS SATURATED BOOKS EVER FUCKING WRITTEN?
Jesus Christ leading a pride parade how dumb can you get.

Yes.
He did.
That's why you don't read him first, just like You don't read Dante first If You want to read something Italian and You don't read the Quixote first If You want to approach spanish literature; because most of them will fly right over your hydrocephalic head.

I think he's still talking about reading him in translation

I don't give a fuck about roasties or some idiot who needs to kill a person first to realise he's a fucking degenerate

It's besides the point because, regardless of the quality of the translation, Authors like Pushkins and Dante can only be apreciated by someone who has a certain preparation.
Which he lacks.

>nah Shakespeare isn't about the sonics
what the fuck are you on about?

As You wish. Just know You're ruining Pushkin to yourself and that You'll be here in a week asking people why you don't understand shit of What he's talking about, crying and looking like a frustated retard who can't open a childproof pack of sweets.

but it's the best place to start

Not as much as poets like Pushkin. That's why Shakespeare is famous worldwide and Pushkin isn't (as much).

It's litteraly the worst. It's 50/50 You'll be permanently turned off the Russians.
Again do you also tell people to start Italian Literature with Dante in translation?

I'm not convinced the cause isn't the successful colonization of the entire world by either British people or British ideologies

It's causal

Yeah the empire was caused by Shakespeare's genius

millions of people have, and do, and will
you are the retarded one, anonpai

cyкa пиздeц пoшёл нa хyй пидop

I find Pushkin pretty boring. Important to know if you are getting into Russian literature as a whole, but IMO not worth reading as a starting point. Most translations of Russian lit have annotations anyway, so if there are some sort of Pushkin allusions, it'll fill you in.

I would just read Eugene Onegin. They say the Arndt translation is pretty legit, but don't fuck with the Nabokov translations.

As far as early Russian poets go, I find Fet and Tyutchev much more interesting, although surely not as influential. On the other hand, anyone who would suggest that reading Pushkin is necessary to read 99% of Russian lit classics is an idiot.

t. Russian lit major

> don't fuck with the Nabokov translations
What does that mean? Is it that bad? I have no idea of Russian myself but I skimmed a book of Nabokov's correspondence once in which he minutely tore apart some American academic's translation of Oneghin, while defending his own, with plenty of arguments and explanations. Now good old Volodea is the kind of guy who can really give off the impression that he knows what he's talking about, what with his dazzling arrogance and all, and so it seemed to me in this case. So why is his translation bad and which should I get? You mention one Arendt, any fall back plan in case I can't find it online? t. Poorfag.

Bumping for an answer to this. I was just about to order a Nabokov translation because of how much I enjoy his English prose.