/SfFg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

No Images Means No Shitpost Edition
>Last Sff Book you read
>Shill it if it's Good and not discussed regularly (that means no like lightning, botns, conan or three meme problem)
>Next Book you are going to read

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/1059
nytimes.com/2018/01/23/obituaries/ursula-k-le-guin-acclaimed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html
bookviewcafe.com/blog/2015/06/01/up-the-amazon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for webnovels are novels too

what's some book's

morton feldman - string quartet no. 2

sanderfag a hack

>Last Sff Book you read
The Demolished Man
>Shill it if it's Good and not discussed regularly
I thought it was pretty great. Some really good setpieces that could probably make for an excellent movie. Although the last chapter was pretty gutless and should've been cut. There was no need to spell out Reich's motivations because that's already pretty much spelled out. And the nature of Demolition would've been better off if it was left a mystery
I'm not sure yet.

>no images
~4 days till deadline! Get hype and start thinking about what you want to read next month!

Download: gutenberg.org/ebooks/1059

What is the worst Sci-fi book you've ever read ?

ready player one and everything by hubbert.

Resistance Is Futile by Jenny Colgan. Quirky nerds and math wankery with a taste of Twilight but with a water alien instead of a vampire.

I don't know why everyone loves this book so much.
Every normie at my work recommend it to me because they heard I have played a video game in my life.

its popular because its basic. it has normie appeal because of video games. atleast they get their containment books. just imagine if there were no books pandering to normies. they read their one or two books a year and tell themselves the greatest of intellectuals by reading books alone.
leave em that. if there were no outlet for them theyd infest other better books or genres.

Will the culture series be hard to follow in audiobook form ? i want something new to listen to whilst driving but some can be a bit too dense without being able to reread a page.

i always got the impression that it was heavy on 80s nostalgia so people like it because 'Remember wargames with Matthew Broderick!'. Some other user told me that though. I should probably read it for myself

It was in fact fairly heavy on the 80's nostalgia.
I mean, I was not alive in the 80's but still got most of the references. Come on tho nigga this shit was dissapointing.

>Last Sff Book you read
Currently finishing Assassin's Quest. The quality drop slightly as the series go on but it's still decent.
I'm not sure. As Assassin's Quest is quite generic fantasy I think I'll read something that activate my almonds next, possibly Latro in the Mist.

>tfw you wanna read post-apocalyptic heroic fantasy, but you've already read the only series that fits that description multiple times

What do you guys think of The Expanse. I finished Leviathan Wakes and while being nothing special, was pretty fun.

uh have you tried days of future past?
some guy tags along with his superior officer who is some sort of chosen one. they both get sent to the future. your boss gets awesome super powers but is still a jackass and you get sent into slavery initially. everythings fucked in the future btw and magic and elves and monters and shit are real.

It is my solemn duty to shill this decent novel with three chapters of YA trash in the beginning so that anons might enjoy Golden Son and Iron Gold.

I didn't like the second RR book much and I never finished the 3rd

Not sure whether I finish it or start the series again since RR is great once he leaves the mines

its okay
haven't started the latest one yet because I hate belters

I didn't like all the grey goo stuff, I enjoyed Leviathan until it turned into a horror novel then my ereader broke and I never went back to it

Kinda like in dagger and coin where the same author spends way to many chapters with the hilariously retarded villain

I like the series desu. The first book is probably the best out of them, ive still not finished the latest one though

>Shea acutually wrote a sequel to Eyes of the Overworld that was approved by Vance
While technically true, Vance said in an interview that he didn't read it; he just gave permission to use the character and setting.

Is it any good? It would be tough to acquit yourself well against the two authentic Cugel books.

Fortunately for me i didnt really read any scifi until i was 20 or so and had already read hundreds upon hundreds of books. So my standards were high to start with and i had stopped bothering with shitty writing.

So, worst sci-fi books i've actually finished gotta be either Consider Phlebas or Leviathan Wakes... both purely because of massive hype behind them. Neither of them was particularly shit but definitely not worth my time.

I wish Abraham had come at the conflict in Dagger and Coin from a different angle, like gone super deep into the politics and economics of stopping the big seemingly unstoppable army or something.

I don't think anyone gave a shit about Geder after he's revealed to be a weird douchebag with an inferiority complex. Give his PoV to someone else.

the biggest problem is that he's a middle of the road liberal trying to tie economics into his novels

Stross' economic fantasy works because he explicitly made his books about the transition from mercantilism to industrialisation, Abraham's fantasy is about economics but he doesn't really have anything to say

I wish to thank the sadistic fuck who recommended me The Trysmoon Saga. Next time someone comes to me and ask for a book where the characters are tortured continuously and that will make their terrible failures of a life seem so bright by comparison I'll know just what to recommend.

In the first book, the guy suffers, but you start thinking, oh, it's gonna be alright in the end, and then his waifu gets raped and decapitated. Wow, pretty graphic, ok, but surely that was just a stepping stone to strengthen the character! The next book, he gets his girlfriend forcefully married to someone else and then gets cucked when """his other girl""" gets impregnated in front of him by an annoying cunt who can best be described as Gideon from Gravity Falls, which by the way is the voice in which I read every sentenced he said because the author surely must have meant for this, it's Gideon in the book! Magical powers and all! Well, it's getting annoying by now, you know, 2 books of misery, next book surely will be the turn around, right? Except not, and now I won't even start the next book because, from how every book turned out to be, I know exactly what's going to happen: every one will be tortured killed and the devil will win in the end.

Thankfully, I didn't spend a single penny in this piece of shit, but I wish I had my time back.

Troy Rising. My god, that sucked.

Does anyone have those pictures of pages from Ready Player One? I need a good laugh.

nytimes.com/2018/01/23/obituaries/ursula-k-le-guin-acclaimed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html

I've become so desensitized to fake obituary postings that I really was expecting this to be a 404.
This really sucks, I was in the middle of reading the Earthsea books.

>sranc in the fucking billions
>three seas in chaos, drained of all manpower
>kellhus dead
>insane sociopathic oedipus complex half-dunyain no god with korean micromanagement skills
>five superdunyain leading the consult
>esmenet still a nagging bitch

how will akka pull it off?

Battlefield Earth. The Iron Dream might have been worse per page but was much shorter.

City of stairs has both those things

Hi guys.

Where's your Sonichu medallion Ian Brandon Sanderson?

You mean how will Kellhus's disembodied head pull it off?

Any Orson Scott Card standalone books worth reading?

I can't wait to see people recommend everything she wrote before 1975 and literally nothing after.

i also wanted to post that

Catwings was all right. Some of the stuff in Changing Planes.

Treason was anime before anime fiction was around.

i liked enchantment.
havent read the other two.

It's not like she'd be the only author who has the vast majority of their works ignored. Just look at PKD who mostly only gets nods for Ubik/VALIS/Three Stigmata around here.

Isn't it depressing though? she'll receive more attention in the next 24 hours than she had in the last 24 years.

Maybe she shouldn't have made all her later novels suck then.

how many novels have you published

Well there was a couple of Earthsea adaptations in the 2000s or so. Otherwise she's been surprisingly lowkey in the public consciousness despite being one of the last of the old guard. But that's kind of a blessing in disguise honestly.

Have you got a image of the article where she had literally zero clue how book stores worked and thought books stayed on the shells indefinitely until sold? that was gold.

I hope you've never criticized a movie bucko.

Just the one where she thinks Amazon is killing indie publishers.
bookviewcafe.com/blog/2015/06/01/up-the-amazon/

i shit on things all the time

completely writing a large portion of persons career because 'lol feminism' is a shallow act stop being twelve and get off the fucking internet

The Birthday of The World and Four Ways to Forgiveness were fucking great.

God bless her ignorant heart.

I'm completely writing off a large portion of Le Guin's career because all of her books sucked during that portion and I tried to read them, believe me. That portion, from Eye of the Heron to her very recent death, coincided with her starting to read feminist critical theory and focusing on that rather than the interesting anthropological stuff she'd done before.

>Four Ways to Forgiveness
>Werel isn't a planet of psychic brain wizards anymore
>it's just muh colonialism
>four short stories that don't go anywhere
Next you'll tell me The Telling was good

Did you read the Annals of the Western Shore? More greatness.
Lmao, I think I just brought up the Telling in the other thread.
The Telling was fantastic, so NOW what do you have to say?
Incidentally, have you read Always Coming Home?

>This entire post
Did we get linked to from r/fantasy again?

Oh fuck Le Guin has died

Eat a bag of dicks.

>The Telling was fantastic, so NOW what do you have to say?
The Telling was the most boring thing I have ever read and I have read the Book of Deuteronomy.

>I've been found out!

Maybe my memory was faulty... I know the mountain ascent bored me, but I thought the city was pretty interesting, with the "March to the Stars" and all that...
It has been quite a few years since I read it, so...

>hmmm, I don't like what this poster has to say: must be from r*dd*t!
Not from r*dd*t, user. In fact I probably predate you on Veeky Forums.

Children of Time
So much wasted potential

There wasn't any sign that the hippie locals were going to be anything but good and holy or that the book-burners would be anything but cartoon villains. I don't read Le Guin for that. Even the Shing were at least pathetic.

Oh my apologies oldfag-sama. It seems Veeky Forums has changed since 1986, you will probably find the environment at r/fantasy much more suitable to your tastes.

>I wish to thank the sadistic fuck who recommended me The Trysmoon Saga.
You're welcomed.
You should really finish it. The crazy King the Best character.
You even get supple milf pussy.

Yeah, that's a valid criticism.
I just really like anything related to the Hainish, so I ate it up anyway.
I'm wracking my brain for some of my favorite short stories... I really, really liked the ones about churtening.

Someone make a thread and ask the mods to sticky it.

H-how did you know that I've been in Veeky Forums since 1986?? Are you stalking me?

I liked Solitude a lot. It's really a horror story. I was never too enamored of the Hainish themselves. My favorite shorts from her are actually probably mostly in Changing Planes.

inb4 someone says "Neuromancer" wasn't good then, either.

is r scott baker's blog worth reading or is it just philosophical nonsense?

"A Fisherman of the Inland Sea"! That's the book I was thinking of.
I really, really like Changing Planes.
I think I'm gonna try to read her whole catalog, of course rereading many.

The latter. He's a failed PHD who became a reddit darling.

No Ursula Le Guin thread eh??

I can't believe that Le Guin is dead.
But Ada Palmer is the new hotness

>spoiler
You are just saying that because you want me to finish just so you can see me suffer.

Is there anything like Worm that's not Warden? I don't give two shits about Glory Girl

Just released a 4th book called Iron Gold set ten years in the future is supposed to be another 3 part sieries on top of the existing series. Just finished it and it was alright definatly didn't seem as strong as Red Rising was but i will probably buy then next two books just to see how it ends.

I'm torn between reading it and waiting for the trilogy to be done

I always fucking forget loads if I read the start of a series when it's published

Has this been done before

>your average story about a kid who steps through a portal into a fantasy world and learns he's the chosen hero with powers
>only difference is, this is an urban fantasy world, and in this world the word "hero" implies masks and spandex

there's not really many superhero books out there but there's like a 70% chance that's been covered in a wildcards short story since there's so many of them

Just wait.

Naw. He gets it. then lives with his eternal milfu
i liked that the book didn't do retarded cliches.
No one escaping, no slim stupid act that lets someone live. Bad guys were bad, and bad things happened.
but it was recommended to me for the milf pussy, and that is what I recommended it for

>/SfFg/
How many more versions of this remains? Did that user ever come back to complain?

Good. Fuck that liberal Boomer.

I don't know user, I've been searching to no avail my self.

Better than Le Guin's senilia, worse than Le Guin's prime, hotter than Le Guin at any point

You do know that bad shit just happens to people? People die for no reason.
Everything doesn't have to have a profound meaning. Shitty things just happen. Life doesn't have every single activity tied to another in someway.

It's popular with the ''I'm such a nerd 80s references LMAO XD'' crowd. In short it's just a fad.

Yes but things just happening for no reason doesn't necessarily make for good or compelling literature.

>there are people ITT right now that wants to fuck Ada "I'm a tranny in disguise with a gimp leg" Palmer.

I didn't say Ada Palmer was attractive, I said she was more attractive than Le Guin.

Do you ever just read obituaries for fun? Would you recommend them to someone who wants a novel? They're real. They're true to life. They don't have to have profound meanings.

Old Man's War. I didn't need 100 pages on how old farts shit themselves and can't get erect.

>Old Man's War
Is that the only book you've read by Scalzi? Because he has written worse, some of the sequels to Old Man's War like Zoe's Tale are pretty bad in a phoned in/cash grab kinda way.