twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

holy shit it's real

fffffff

F

F

>Genre fiction

>Unlocking the Air

F

Before you cunts get cute remember that if NOTHING ELSE her stellar criticism and public statements about Gene Wolfe over the decades probably did more for his career than any publisher or advertiser or critic.

F
>tfw Gene Wolfe is next

RIP Le Guinea Pig.

Your books were not that great but I enjoyed The Left Hand of Darkness and especially City of Illusion.

Lathe of Heaven can fuck off though.

Lathe of Heaven was my second-favorite after City of Illusion. Third was Dispossessed and Left Hand was practically post-1975 Le Guin-tier boring.

I never liked Earthsea growing up. What's her greatest book?

I thought she was already dead.

RIP though

Wasn't it one of « Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ »'s favourite authors?

F

S

Fuck you Veeky Forums

f

F
I'm thinking of Getting Left Hand of Darkness. is it good?

Kys

F

F

F

Holy fuck, I can't believe.

F

F

F

no u

Rest in peace. Which of her novels are worth reading?

mods pls sticky

a giant of the literary world and one the great prose stylists

Read it a couple of months ago feeling kinda guilty, this has happened with 3 authors already and thank god it didn't work with the Pyncher and it's really good, thinking of getting the rest of the trilogy. I'm not a usual sci-fi / fantasy reader (no prejudice, it's just that most of it seem unappealing to me), but her worldbuilding in particular was fantastic. I really wish there was more "anthropologic" sci-fi, accepting recs.
Also, RIP.

UKL's last blog post:

130. Poem Written in 1991
When the Soviet Union Was Disintegrating
by Ursula K. Le Guin
i
The reason why I’m learning Spanish
by reading Neruda one word at a time
looking most of them up in the dictionary
and the reason why I’m reading
Dickinson one poem at a time
and still not understanding
or liking much, and the reason
why I keep thinking about
what might be a story
and the reason why I’m sitting
here writing this, is that I’m trying
to make this thing.
I am shy to name it.
My father didn’t like words like “soul.”
He shaved with Occam’s razor.
Why make up stuff
when there’s enough already?
But I do fiction. I make up.
There is never enough stuff.
So I guess I can call it what I want to.
Anyhow it isn’t made yet.
I am trying one way and another
all words — So it’s made out of words, is it?
No. I think the best ones
must be made out of brave and kind acts,
and belong to people who look after things
with all their heart,
and include the ocean at twilight.
That’s the highest quality
of this thing I am making:
kindness, courage, twilight, and the ocean.
That kind is pure silk.
Mine’s only rayon. Words won’t wash.
It won’t wear long.
But then I haven’t long to wear it.
At my age I should have made it
long ago, it should be me,
clapping and singing at every tatter,
like Willy said. But the “mortal dress,”
man, that’s me. That’s not clothes.
That is me tattered.
That is me mortal.
This thing I am making is my clothing soul.
I’d like it to be immortal armor,
sure, but I haven’t got the makings.
I just have scraps of rayon.
I know I’ll end up naked
in the ground or on the wind.
So, why learn Spanish?
Because of the beauty of the words of poets,
and if I don’t know Spanish
I can’t read them. Because praise
may be the thing I’m making.
And when I’m unmade
I’d like it to be what’s left,
a wisp of cheap cloth,
a color in the earth,
a whisper on the wind.
Una palabra, un aliento.
(cont.)

Is she any good? I've never read any of her novels but she wrote the introduction to the book I'm reading now, an anthology of fantasy stories edited by Borges and others, and frankly it was awful. Some of the most self-complimentary, self-conscious, faux-profound, gaudy, "I am being very wise and literary right now" prose I've ever suffered through. Absolutely none of that "artlessness of art," just a total slog to get through. I could practically hear her panting

Earthsea

She's mostly read because of her political orientation desu senpai.

She isn't very good.

(cont.)

ii
So now I’ll turn right round
and unburden an embittered mind
that would rejoice to rejoice
in the second Revolution in Russia
but can’t, because it has got old
and wise and mean and womanly
and says: So. The men
having spent seventy years in the name of something
killing men, women, and children,
torturing, running slave camps,
telling lies and making profits,
have now decided
that that something wasn’t the right one,
so they’ll do something else the same way.
Seventy years for nothing.

And the dream that came before the betrayal,
the justice glimpsed before the murders,
the truth that shone before the lies,
all that is thrown away.
It didn’t matter anyway
because all that matters
is who has the sayso.

Once I sang freedom, freedom,
sweet as a mockingbird.
But I have learned Real Politics.
No freedom for our children
in the world of the sayso.
Only the listening.
The silence all around the sayso.
The never stopping listening.
So I will listen
to women and our children
and powerless men,
my people. And I will honor only
my people, the powerless.

Absolute and complete bullshit.
She wrote excellent fantasy.
Her Hainish cycle, which doesn't get much attention, is fucking awesome.

Why do they have to make it about this?

fuck

>tfw you will never be a Werelian psychic mastermind blasting Shing with your brain and making friends with your split implanted personality

Did you just find out she's a feminist?

I like her a /lot/.
I feel like a lot of people gloss over her qualities because they get triggered by her feminism.

just a good writer

only harry potter brainlets dis earthsea

>because they get triggered by her feminism.
Or because she wrote the same book over and over again ad nauseam.

>tfw you will never be an ambassador of the Ekumen and churten with your shipmates
>tfw you will never have a loving stable sedoretu as a native of O

>t. has never read UKL's impressive catalog

League of All Worlds > Ekumen

To be fair basically nobody has actually read anything she wrote past the first Earthsea book despite insistence otherwise.

F

I am actually a mega fan, and have read everything I could find, including rare out of print books.
So you're actually talking to the wrong person, user.

Wait, so you're all doing the "press F to pay respects" meme?

I had no idea it was this popular anywhere that isn't /v/.

Whatever floats your boat.
I remain very curious about the Shing, and super bummed that she never wrote about them again.

She hated that she accidentally wrote a book with a clear antagonist so she deliberately memory-holed it along with telepathy in general, which made the majority of the Ekumen stuff just UN fanfiction.

WHATever.
You clearly haven't read any of her later Hainish books, fucking awesome with kinds of bizarre worlds.
Definitely my favorite was O, but I'm a very mellow person.
Did you even read The Telling?

>WHATever
>fucking awesome
>Definitely
>Did you even
Jesus contain your redditness.

I tried, man. I tried so hard. I kept going back to it but she was still just hiking to that mountain and commercialization was bad and yoga was good. There weren't any stakes. It was so boring.

>“There’s some innate arrogance here: I want to do it my way,” Ms. Le Guin said in an interview at her home here. “I don’t want to be reduced to being ‘the sci-fi writer.’ People are always trying to push me off the literary scene, and to hell with it.”
>She chuckled. “I won’t be pushed.”

There was weird unexplainable phenomena that you missed... shoulda stuck with it.
But I actually agree that she lost me for a while during the interminable mountain ascent.

Not a redditor, sweetiepie.
Just feeling emotional about Ursula's death and also running a fever.
So sue me.

they seem to be well fed, the ones who walk away from omelettes

I've only read the Dispossessed and that was quite a mixed bag but there's a lot to like about her style and indeed the skill with which the themes of the novel are handled

Very literary for a writer of genre fiction

It's true that she is mostly read for her politics, but worth keeping in mind that that isn't the only reason to read her, nor is it the most important reason to read her.

She went to glide on the Other Wind, where the dragons are ;_;

>a child locked in a closet, forced to eat all the eggs

desu

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Hello newfriend

> he doesn't pay attention to our Reddit memes therefore he must be new

I guess this is why Veeky Forums hates genre fiction.

I've seen many boards doing it actually.

F

I JUST listened to the dispossessed audiobook last month.
10/10 book and reader

I was just thinking about re-reading The Dispossessed.

RIP

Anyone have a link to her Would You Please Fucking Stop? essay? It's not on her blog anymore.

>Very literary for a writer of genre fiction
This is kind of why I don't like her. I like genre fiction that just owns its pulpiness and doesn't aspire to be respected by academics and critics so much as it aspires to be good on its own terms. Le Guin always seemed very self-conscious and insecure about what New York circles would think of her writing. Compare her to PKD or Lovecraft, who just wrote what they thought was compelling and in turn basically invented their own styles

Shut your goddamn whore mouth.

On a different note,

Le Guin was a strange author. Earthsea was a fine fantasy series, nothing amazing but great compared to the modern YA being shit out today. The Left Hand of Darkness was highly respected for its exploration of gender and other topics but it lacked much in the way of insight, it was a novelty without depth. The Dispossessed was heavy handed to the extent that I consider it a pleb filter, if you think it's insightful you're probably dumb. The Lathe of Heaven was fun pulp, entertaining with its central premise but nothing beyond average with its prose and characters.

In sum she was a highly respected science fiction author without a masterpiece, great as an advocate of the genre but not contributing anything irreplaceable to it. She would have been a mid-tier writer if science fiction was more developed, but she was solid in an age where most authors were (and continue to be) shit. RIP, you never took my breath away but you were worth reading.

this one?
forum.malazanempire.com/topic/22354-would-you-please-stop/

Yup, thanks.

Reminder she publicly tore Miyazaki's son to pieces after he made the anime adaption.

ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiResponse.html

F baby girl

you will probably like the dispossessed more

Nigger what the fuck are you talking about, PKD constantly namedropped writers and musicians and went on semi-philosophical tangents on his books. I'm saying this as a fan btw
LeGuin's pretentiousness comes from the ever futile attempt to bridge "genre" and "literary" fiction while trying to be both or neither, the same problem with people like Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.

Will check it out, thanks m8

Who the fuk is Gene Wolfe. I loved her books since the 90's.

Ha! Enjoy sucking cock in hell, dyke!

Like I give a shit about this liberal hippy. I'm glad that fucking Boomer is dead.

S

Earthsea. The Hainish Cycle (Left Hand of Darkness, etc.). The Lathe of Heaven. Orsinian Tales. Annals of the Western Shore. Lavinia. "Buffalo Gals, Won't You Come Out Tonight." The Wind's Twelve Quarters...

Oh, that's good.

as well she should, he tarnished his father's and his father's studio's names along with hers with that pile of garbage. A Wizard of Earthsea has a very simple plot and it shouldn't be hard to adapt but if it ever happens she won't be around to see it.

Is any of her recent stuff good?

No she went to shit after discovering feminists theory.

Thank god finally, she wrote at a middle-school level, just read The Dispossesed to see what I'm talking about. The only reason she had any acclaim at all was because she was the token 'genre fiction' that high brow critics could name drop in an effort to seem inclusive.

What if I like feminism?

t. Soyboy

Yeah.

real answer please

Nigger she grew up in fucking Berkeley, child of a musician and an humanities academic and lived there through the 50s and 60s. I can guarantee you she's been a feminist through her whole career.

imagine being such a brainlet that you cant even bare reading something that even slightly suggests women arent the semen stealing succubi your broken ego insists they are

>crying over the death of a red
Nah

Except she somehow didn't know how to write women until 1977.

She was always a feminist, no doubt, but her early works are more informed by anthropology and Golden Age fantasy and science fiction than by straight-out feminist theory.

I don't get it either, but before she got into feminist critical theory her books were great and afterwards they were trash. She probably experimented with making plots that weren't as conflict-centered or something, with the side effect of making them boring as sin.