Authors Wth The Best Book Cover Art

Which authors have the best book cover artwork?

I liked the artwork on the Neuromancer trilogy reissues. Generated using neural network image processing, which fits the themes of the books pretty well.

I love this set, I pick them up whenever I see them

Denis Johnson

guaranteed some fag will post in this thread saying cover art is meaningless and superficial or similar garbage.

Dumas

I don't like the faces. Covers should be abstract to allow for the reader's imagination.

All the Del Rey Lovecraft paperbacks have amazing art

Umberto Eco

Too bad the contents of these suck.

Too bad the content of your comment sucks.

>Count of Monte Cristo
>Name of the Rose
>suck
wew lad

Good one.

Grow up. These are children's books.

What would you say is a book for men?

This cover is fucking great. I'm thinking of getting these. I have the old ones with the animu faces but the publisher offers you 50% off if you mail your old ones to a public library and send them the receipt or something like that.

the ones with the most pages and biggest words

You realize authors don't actually make the covers, typically artists do or graphic designers who work for the publisher.

Michael Crichton seems to lend himself particularly well to covers.

Not sure if this is just a UK thing, but Terry Pratchett's covers here were done by a guy called Josh Kirby who captured the spirit brilliantly.

Yes most are commissioned, but authors usually have a say in what gets published assuming they are still alive and they give a shite about anything cosmetic.

Pretty much anything by Philip K. Dick that was printed prior to the 1980s.

Authors almost never have any say in their covers. Publishers decide on basically everything after the author submits, from any introduction or foreword to all design aspects. Authors frequently get salty about it.

This is also why publishers frequently have similar design styles between books, they have a number of designers they typically use.

>Authors almost never have any say in their covers
I've read read about that from time to time, but isn't that an over generalization considering the sheer volume of indie, independent, small press and self-publishing going on these days?

Joyce's are usually pretty neat. I especially like this one. No clue as to why.

>Self publishing
Yikes

This, not to mention most of the authors ITT wouldn't have a say due to having been dead, often times long before covers were something people gave a shit about.

From what I've read they used Fractals to design the covers.
Are the editions in your picture English language ones?
I don't know about the Sprawl covers. Allegedly Gibson commissioned them himself and says it's the closest anyone came to visualising the sprawl, but it features impossible geometry and I doubt the Sprawl does.

For the first three, it's still industry standard to keep the author out of the process. For the fourth, that's why they all suck. Authors are not graphic designers.

Also the first two are literally all the same thing.

The iconic Stephen King covers are some of my favs.

Ive set to collecting his hardbacks off eBay for the art alone desu

Jeff Vandermeer ones are usually pretty cool

What's this art style called?

One of these days when I finally get the courage to read Finnegans, it'll be this edition.

i have this one. most beautiful book i own.

I really loved John Gall's covers for Murakami, it's a shame that the new editions look like fucking shit. Gall's ought to be considered the definitive covers at this point.

You have no idea how much I want that. gg on getting it.

Italo Calvino consistently has great goddamn covers, although those newer ones look like John Green covers

the new ones make sad and want to vomit.

I don't know what the heck they were thinking
>Shit generic minimal design
>Awful plastic sheen and feel instead of Gall's satisfying thick paper
>Seemingly impossible to find Gall's editions anymore at bookstores
I've honestly put off reading Kafka on the Shore until I can find Gall's edition

On the other hand, this is one of my favorite covers of all time

Word. I have that too as well as Kafka. Do not fucking even think of buying the new ones. I'll kill u kid.

I like the Vintage covers more 2bh

Are these still available anywhere?

book depository has them if you want to buy new. otherwise just search by isbn on ebay or some shit for used.

With the exception of 4 or 5, I bought all the new versions of Murakami's books, just cuz I was binging them and wanted to read them ASAP.

The new covers get fucked up really fast. Fingerprints, scratches...shit way beyond the normal wear & tear around the edges books typically show.

Also, I mostly miss the old Gall editions, with a couple of exceptions. The Elephant Vanishes, Dance Dance Dance, and Blind Willow Sleeping Woman all looked off to me, somehow. The rest, though...god-tier. Wish I could still find them

I'm surprised no one's brought up pic related. The Bond series has had some really incredible covers over the years.

Of course, like Murakami, the new minimalist covers are utter garbage...

Name of the rose is a piece of shit work user.

k

No u

I really like the cover of the first American edition of Invisible Cities. Too bad it's so expensive

Wish covers could still look like this today

It honestly hurts that nearly every cover nowadays is just a hooded person with either a sword or a bow and arrow, a random color in the background, and some mist

Or you could just stop being a YA pleb and you will never have to see that

Infinite Jest?

Carter Wilson

any good? covers make me wanna read em

Name any other cover(s) nearly as simple and perfect

I have that exact same Mort cover and I bought it maybe 3 years ago so you might find them somewhere, user.

Holy shit, thanks. Is there any particular order to read them in to fully appreciate his work? I only ever read The Old Man and The Sea and that was a long time ago.

The original Japanese Maki Sasaki are far better