Okay, what the actual fuck was his problem? Not even memeing...

Okay, what the actual fuck was his problem? Not even memeing. What has to happen in a person's life to make them write stuff like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/double-consciousness/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He saw Napoleon and had a boner

>someone actually has more complex ideas than you
>you treat things you don't understand like they're evidence of an aberration
Stop being stupid, sweetie

>What has to happen in a person's life to make them write stuff like this?
Archangelic premonitions

Being German

bump for knowledge

He was incredibly intelligent, but also had some seriously different ways of thinking about things. His disjointed narrative style is not only present in that book, but according to various people was how he actually spoke and taught. He at some point in life had given himself over to the tantalizing idea that once you think of something, you have doubled it, and once you realize you have doubled it, you make it back into one thing. This process of othering and subsuming is the basis of his logic.

That being said, I think he's wrong.

One part 17th-18th century epistemological crisis of scepticism and nihilism

One part German pietism

One part German national pride at thinking you have the true solution to the waning English and French philosophies

One part German pride at thinking you are the true inheritors of the world-historical moment of the French Revolution which the French are squandering precisely because they can't actually think worth a damn

Two parts uncontrolled nuclear pulse propulsion of German romanticism emerging as second Axial Age of humankind and going "??? Why did I wake up in the 18th century? I'm not done yet, put me back in! Wait, what do you mean I can't go back in?" through the mouths of Goethe and Herder and Lessing and Holderlin, like when you wake up the Chenjesu and the Mrnrhrm in Star Control 2 before they are done fusing into a new superbeing

2 parts Jena milieu manly competition to see who will be the Socrates-Plato-Aristotle of the era and who will be remembered as "that guy Socrates-Plato-Aristotle was friends with, and who had dimmer versions of some of his ideas"

1 part fetish for ur-philosophical system-building at the only true way to do philosophy

1 part incestuous intellectual milieu so obsessed with its own precociousness and world-historical character that it didn't take into account even the barest possibility that there would ever be some posterity that wasn't completely shaped by and steeped in the ideas of its highly self-referential discourse, no possible future that wasn't an organic result of what Schelling and Hegel were writing to each other under the table about Goethe while playing footsie

1 part Boehmean esotericism

Section 11 of the Preface,

Besides, it is not difficult to see that ours is a birth-time and a period of transition to a new era. Spirit has broken with
the world it has hitherto inhabited and imagined, and is of a mind to submerge it in the past, and in the labour of its own
transformation. Spirit is indeed never at rest but always engaged in moving forward. But just as the first breath drawn
by a child after its long, quiet nourishment breaks the gradualness of merely quantitative growth-there is a qualitative leap,
and the child is born-so likewise the Spirit in its formation matures slowly and quietly into its new shape, dissolving bit
by bit the structure of its previous world, whose tottering state is only hinted at by isolated symptoms. The frivolity and boredom
which unsettle the established order, the vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of approaching
change. The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash, illuminates the features of the new world.

Hegel just knew it was time to develop Wissenschaft and save it by the boorish disciples of Schelling who misunderstood him and reduced his findings into a mere formalism, Hegel began to grasp the Chalice of Forms which would slosh with the Absolute, and tried to make it accessible to all, giving everyone a sip of the froth.

>you have doubled it, and once you realize you have doubled it, you make it back into one thing

what do you mean by this? how do you double something?

what's special about this that it gets posted all the time here? Not familiar with Hegel
I'm starting with the Greeks

to smart too write in a clear and concise fashion

some people consider all philosophy after Hegel to be either a continuation or reaction against him.
this is something of an overstatement, but the fact that it is a perception that many people have should at least hint at his importance.

he gets memed often because his work is considered challenging due to its scope, but also more importantly Hegel's style of writing; at an extreme some heavily influential people in subsequent philosophy
considered him all bluster - which is somewhat ironic due to Hegel's own disdain for obscurantism.

the phenomenology is an introduction to his "science of experience" and was written with the intention of being a text-book for high-school students, and is now the most popular work of Hegel's in the English-speaking
sphere (a spot which used to be taken by his Science of Logic)

also, he is the closest thing to a modern Aristotelian there is

We're talking about Hegel, not Nietzsche.

He is very interesting and accounts for the totality of human experience and history in his system, and the abstract obfuscation makes it a good meme

So Hegel was very much into this consciousness. Take you hand, and think about it. There is the hand, and the hand you are thinking about. For Hegel this is a doubling. For various reasons, he finds this an unsatisfactory state of affairs, and so he seeks to find a way to make "the hand" and "the hand you're thinking about" the same thing for consciousness.

Thats kind of interesting desu. How would you read his books in order? Im interested in checking his stuff out.

Reason in History is a book made of the lecture notes of a course he taught, published posthumously. It's short, way easier than Phenomenology, and gives real insight into Hegel's conception of history. And Hegel's view of history is one of his most important ideas, being the philosophical underpinning of Marxism, and interesting in its own right.
That's what I started with, anyway.

plato.stanford.edu/entries/double-consciousness/

>The preface has at least 11 sections

>Thats kind of interesting desu
yeah its like that but with literally everything ever and also everything never

So does your mother's vagina.

the preface has 72 sections

Hegel can into poetic phil prose sometimes

OP, I into'd this like six months ago, if you have any questions about the first 5 chapters regarding sense-certainty -> self-consciousness ask me

Cool. Ill check the book out. Thnx man.

What the fuck is happening in Force and the Understanding.

He couldnt complete the system of german idealism