Veeky Forumserary confessions thread. Confess your sins

Veeky Forumserary confessions thread. Confess your sins.

I don't care which translations I read.

When I finish reading a book, I make sure to go to Goodreads and find the edition with the most pages and mark that edition as read so then I can inflate my page averages by the end of the year.

I stopped reading Moby Dick because Ishmael is an edgy cunt

I hate books that have edgy teens as the main character. I would have stopped reading Infinite Jest if it was just about Hal

The only exception is Raskolnikov

> Ishmael
> edgy

Did we read the same book? What did you find edgy about him? He seemed pretty understanding and rational to me. Did you read a translation?

where do you stand on mishima's the sailor who fell from grace with the sea, a book where the protagonist is a literal edgy teen who watches his mom get fucked

I need to get out of my place to actually read because my place is full of distractions.

I don't dare to confess anything significant because I'm at the library, and there's someone sitting behind me.

I regularly read and enjoy comic books

What annoys me most about him is all this knowlegde a YOUNG XIX Century sailor should not have. If he had that amount of knowledge at that age in those times he should be somewhere else

This but not DC and Marvel stuff. I'm more into Tintin, Moomins, Calvin & Hobbes, Heavenly Nostrils, Jeff Smith's Bone, Seconds, Maus and some manga.

>This but not DC and Marvel stuff.
Shit's become largely unreadable even as a lowbrow diversion.

I wouldn't ever have known, my man, I've never read those comics outside of Watchmen and V For Vendetta which I read for my boy Alan Moore. I could imagine that Marvel and DC are exhausted for ideas at this point though, the superhero fatigue has to set in within the next 10 years surely.

It has less to do with creative exhaustion, I believe. It's just become a weird parade of hammy ideology and pathological irony. Nothing feels authentic anymore; no authentic sense of adventure or excitement. It all has to be jokey and hyper self-aware and "We do the trope, but ironically ;) ;) ;)" and "EPIC DINOSAURBOT* VS. SPACE MONKEY LUMBERJACK - *because dinosaurs are awesome, science fact!" and blah... it's hideous. It's almost like watching people roleplay as comic book creators; they try to tick all the boxes but the end result is an Uncanny Valley approximation at best.

I really enjoyed Oblivion and Brief interviews by DFW. I just dont get why this most of this board wants to make everybody despise him.

It's an ironic thing, a lot of people love him here. I'm indifferent on him but I tend to skip the dfw threads

I add books I do not finish (Moby Dick, for example) as read on Goodreads and pretend that I've read the whole thing.

>I regularly read
Finally a true Veeky Forumsizen!

>and enjoy comic books
Well so long as you dont read the filth we are on good terms, but mark my word if you so far as dare to pick up Calvin n Corn on the Cobbs or any other braindead heathenistic nonsense (whats next, methphetamine?) into the trash bin your lousy bag of skin will go

I can’t read philosophy in sessions of longer than ten or twenty minutes at a time

>I don't take notes while reading
>i like the butler prose translation of homer the best
>from what i remember i still love harry potters lore
>i started a bunch of books but halfway through i stopped because i got bored or i knew what was going to happen
>i dont google words that i dont understand unless im in my kindle
>i only read at night so eyes get sleepy

It sometimes takes me up to a month for me to begin a book I bought. Not because I'm reading other books or really busy or anything, just because I procrastinate. Once I start I blow through them though.

>I don't care which translations I read.
Wait, should we?

I don't give a shit about anything when I read.
Am I making a horrible mistake?

Instead of reading new books I often just reread the ones I already like.

I haven't read a book outside of school requirements in almost 4 years

Then why do you use this board?

I have books i bought years ago still waiting.

this is the right way to read.

good!

forgot to ask, what was your page count of the last year?

I sometimes listen to audio books when I don't have the energy to read.

>incapacitated from jealously of a fictional character

I dropped Lolita because there was nothing interesting happening. Also, the writing felt pretentious.

I thoroughly dislike the works of Shakespeare, with the possible exception of The Tempest, purely for the fucked up adventures of Stephan, Trinculo and Caliban - my personal favourite being the mistaking of a blanket with two men under it for some primordial beast. Top kek Bill, top fucking kek.

Do you hate The Catcher in the Rye?

I dropped Cather in the rye after 50 pages

What's wrong with Calvin and Hobbes though?

Ah I hate that kind of thing, that sense of humour doesn't resonate with me at all. I think it's immature but I also wouldn't try to turn someone away from it if they enjoyed it - it's stupid but it's harmless and I've known plenty of people who enjoy it solely because they wanted some entertainment they didn't need to think about.

This. My edition of Poetics by Aristotle took me two weeks to read and it's not even 100 pages. Philosophy takes me a while to process and I definitely needed to re-read passages. I'm probably a fool for diving into Poetics at the time without having much knowledge of Greek poetry, mythology and philosophy so I'll revisit it once I've read more of the Greeks.

> i stopped because i got bored or i knew what was going to happen

How did you know what was going to happen if you didn't finish the book?

14-15 year old me would be fine with stopping reading halfway because of boredom though. I had a really poor habit back then of starting a lot of books and never finishing them, sometimes never getting further than 40 pages.

I get why people make a fuss about translations. Depending on the translator, they can either effectively convey the book's initial tone, author's prose (to the best of their ability - not everything works in translation like idioms and dialect), pacing, etc, or they can royally fuck it up, and plenty of translators who do piss poor jobs unfortunately have really high-selling translations of popular classics. I'm the kind of guy to research the best available translation in my country (and even the second-best, just in case if the best translation isn't available) because I've had books before where translators outright drop huge chunks from the original novel just because they believed those segments fuck with the pacing (I'm looking at Denny's Les Miserables specifically).

It is worthwhile if you're worried about not getting the best version of a book in your native tongue, but if you didn't worry about it beforehand I don't see why you necessarily need to worry about it now.

I need to do this more often. Planning on re-reading Dubliners this year.

12k on 20 books lmao

The only good thing about The Tempest is the adventures of drunk Caliban. Loved the part where he mistook Stephan and Trinculo as gods because they had booze. The rest of the play feels so empty to me and this is coming from a Shakespeare fan.

Which other plays have you read by him? Why did you dislike them so much?

I hate reading 90% of the time, it feels like a chore to my tech addled brain. It's just that I enjoy the other 10% so much that I keep doing it. Not as much as I'd like to, though.

The only novel I truly love is Don Quixote.

>I don't care which translations I read
here's a translation for you:
>I'm a pseud

I read almost exclusively historical fiction and sci-fi.
I frequently get bored of a book right before the end and drop it forever, even if the rest was amazing.
I brag about reading to impress girls, and it sometimes works

>because I've had books before where translators outright drop huge chunks from the original novel
I fucking hate when they do that without even notifying the reader.

half way through IJ. how is hal edgy?

>when memes ruin your ability to comprehend beauty and truth
What are you afraid of? That you will somehow become unlovable by exposure to anything that Veeky Forums deems bad?

I dislike most American classics and I don't know why.

Probably a combination of america having a dubious literary heritage and you being a brainlet.

lil pump oooo

Omnes traductor traditore

>10585875
>The only exception is Raskolnikov

Imagine being this retarded

I dont read books that are hailed as a great american novel. If those three words are printed on the jacket i know it will be about a middle class middle age white American man staring at his own belly button.

This annoys me so much. America wants to be taken seriously as a global cultural entity and yet anytime an American writes a good novel it gets branded as being The Great American Novel™ instead of just a great and universal piece of art. No other country does this - its infuriating.

it feels as if the thing in my head that created things for me has been scooped out.
do i need to consume media to get inspiration or do i seclude myself?

my unread shelf keeps getting filled with books and the read shelf changes once every three months
give me a good reason to continue brothers karamazov tonight instead of playing with my friends a shitty game with my old pc

I’ve barely read any german literature because I tell myself that one day I’ll get off my ass and learn german well enough to read them untranslated. This has been going on for about 5 years.

Whenever someone tells me to watch a movie that is based on a book I instinctively tell them I have read the book. Then I say, "I don't want to sound like a pretentious cunt, but the book was better".
I say this regardless of whether or not the book was better.

This. American literature is ridiculously self-centered. You'd think it's the only country in the world.

do you usually lie this much or just this case?

Everything I say is a lie, even this statement.

This reminds me about a question I was asked in a questionnaire for a job interview.

Do you always tell the truth?
A. Yes
B. No

How the fuck do you answer that one? (I said yes naturally).

i dont even fuckin read lol

May I ask what makes you want to lie so much? Have you sought help? Also how are your relations with people? Have you been able to keep a relationship for a long time? Not just love ones I mean, do you have any friends that have stayed for a long time?

You're looking too much into this.

But since you asked, I have no friends. Who needs friends when I got people like you user?

plen

Reading War and Peace is the only worthwhile thing I've done in the last 2 years

I haven't read a single page in 2 weeks. I just want to die.

Sleep and fresh air user. Hope you get better soon

I come up with a lot of book ideas but feel too lazy to write the actual books, so I just keep coming up with more and more ideas

>he says when the author of said book worked on a wailer.

hey me too

I figure Borges was the same though so we're probably going to be very well known one day like him.

I read and fully enjoyed YA novels until I was 25.

He does things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it!"

i believe that the consumptive faculty is in serious opposition to the productive one. peak productivity only happens in the complete absense of consumption. that being said, a certain amount of consumption is needed, going out just to watch people, listening, lying not to make them see something in you but lying so they reveal to you a world you don't normally have access to are all needed. and periods where production stops, and you go back to consuming to both rest, and have new inspiration which will come out.

so there are three states you should think about:
productive
mixed 50-50
consumptive

sounds like you have come out of a mixed 50-50 into a consumptive slump.

the mixed 50-50 is the healthiest and the usual disposition of a student. someone who is not devoted to their creative faculties which they know are deficient, but still must be exercised AND fed with new knowledge. they read a book, write a paper on the book, take exploratory notes on the book, and in terms of major projects will at most once a year attempt something original.

it is very easy for this, atleast for me, to slide into a consumptive slump, where what i write becomes just the book in my own words and not an exploration. and then this slides into less and less reading (reading in itself requires a mixture of consumption and production) and more consumption of art which requires less and less use of productive faculties, first i watch great classic films, then nature documentaries, then binge-tier trash (the office, arrest development, twilight zone).

I am fuzzy on the details, because the switching between these is only realized long after i've done it, but I believe the only way to get it back is to completely isolate yourself from books, tv, movies, and like an addict who is withdrawing. endure excruciating boredom where you sit and do nothing (not even clean or cook or smoke just staring at the wall)

best of luck man, I'm in a slump rn too.

That's not edgy, just sort of dorky

>The only novel I truly love is Don Quixote
Now that's a masterpiece.

I may never read Stoner because I'm worried it will make me depressed

I come up with a name for my stories before writing them, and typically base the stories around the name

I read and reread multiple books at the same time, jumping from one to other in no specific way. I'm curretly reading like 3 books and rereading 4.

I refuse to read DFW because of this board and twitter users shilling him

Same. I'm reading 2 books and listening to two audiobooks right now, can't ever decide which ones I want to read/listen to.

For me the prose didn't seem like anything incredibly brilliant or special, but I enjoyed the story and the way the characters were conveyed immensely.

sometimes I post garbage meme rappers on unrelated boards

This is a good post. Though instead of just sitting you should go out and bike around, or go hiking, or just walk through your neighborhood. Helps me when I get into that state and it's always enjoyable once you get out.

I've been writing fiction since I was 10 years old, but I've only started seriously reading any books outside of school two months ago.

I've won various writing competitions and have several self-published works that have brought in a good amount of money. Even then, from the short time I've been reading, I already feel I've doubled in talent as an author.