What's the most difficult book you've read that's not a Joyce book or Hegel?

What's the most difficult book you've read that's not a Joyce book or Hegel?

The Sound and the Fury

was going to say this
War and Peace or The Brother's Karamazov because they're really long
also chinese books because of the weird names

Ἐννεάδες

It's really not hard at all. At most, Benjy's part is disorienting, but that's it.

grande sertão: veredas by guimarães rosa

Quentin’s section ain’t no cakewalk either. It wasn’t until I got to Jason’s part that it all started making sense

OP was baiting for this reply with his pic choice tbdesu

Quentin's part was pretty understandable to me, mainly because of how relatable and smooth his train of thought was for me.

Past and Present by Thomas Carlyle. Was assigned it in a university class and tried very hard twice to read it but nothing sunk in at all.

History: A Paraphrase.
Not particularly hard tho.
>Devil to Pay in the Backlands
>Hard
Boa piada viado.

Romance de Dom Pantero na Terra dos Pecadores

Kierkegaard pretending to be Hegel.

Sometimes a Great Notion was difficult at times but still very manageable. One of the things that makes it difficult is how Kesey constantly jumps from one character's perspective to another within the same paragraph. Sometimes you end up reading two or more characters' dialogue and thoughts at the same time.

Anti-Oedepus hands down.

Proust. It was like every other paragraph sent me into a spiral of sorrow, memory and regret. I could barely manage 20 pages an hour.

Good answer desu

This and Whitehead's P&R

This. I'm a bit of a brainlet and while I definitely enjoyed the book a lot of it was over my head. I am glad to have read it though.

does anyone actually read hegel? I don't believe hegel should be allowed on this board.

I did desu, and you know what, I enjoyed it. He's a fun throwback to pre-socratic totalities, but with German rigour and Kantian Idealism

am i the only one who thinks proust is entry level?

You are a child

Currently finding that Gravity's Rainbow makesUlysses look like a casual stroll through the park. Am I autistic?

No that's stupid, and entry level is supposed to be small otherwise there's hardly anywhere to go

I find GR pretty tough, too, desu...

Proust can be tough.

His entire prose style can feel like the unfurling of a train of thought, with all the asides and endless tangents. It's beautiful if you can get the hang of it, but with all the parentheses and endless sentences, it can be easy to lose hold of and there can be a lot of backtracking.

Don Quixote -
what a boring piece of shit, I stick to 20th century and newer now.

are you children going to read McElroy in 2018?

You too read it in the original Greek? That was part of the difficulty.

Joseph McElroy--and not any of the novels, I'm ashamed to say, but his collection of short stories.

I can't read greek, but if you said metaphysics, me too. That fucking book, i'd spend ten minutes struggling to finish a paragraph and a half hour deciphering it.

Definitively one of my proudests faps