Learning Sanskrit

It seems like a lot of philosophers have a hard on for ancient India. Is learning Sanskrit the move Veeky Forums?

Yes

I plan on learning in next 6 months. Starting with some history related stuff first + yoga then full Sanskrit study.

>“The Sanskrit language, whatever may be its antiquity, is of a wonderful structure; more perfect than the Greek; more copious than the Latin, and more exquisitely refined than either, yet bearing to both of them a stronger affinity, both in the roots of verbs and in the forms of grammar; than could possibly have been produced by accident; so strong, indeed, that no philosopher could examine them all three without believing them to have sprung from some common source which, perhaps, no longer exists; there is a similar reason, though not quite so forcible, for supposing that both the Gothic and the Celtic, though blended with a different idiom, had the same origin with the Sanskrit."

- Sir William Jones, 1783

I read that the dude knew like 9 languages before puberty

if you can, then yes. they have trouble because these people figured out ontology and epistemology 3000 years ago and its embarrassing to admit for the Franco-Anglo niggers

sanskrit is one of the most /litty/ languages ever developed.

Too bad they never figured out a toilet

Indian philosophy is overrated. Its amusing when you see the funny memes they got up and retroactively finding parrelels with various modern ideas but in the end of the day its too more of an irrigorous and contaminated mess to be of any serious use today

Whats with retards on this board believing that lagnuages have some inherent magical qualities attached to them besides aesthetic? If you're interested in indian philosophy, just fucking read indian philosophy, you don't nead to wear a sarong, poop outside, adopt a little brown child, and certainly not spend years studying some ded language for it.

obligatory kys faggot

this

We don't take kindly to turboplebs around here...
So much Sanskrit material is meant to be read/recited out loud, with perfect pronunciation necessary to get the point and beauty of it, so yes, Sanskrit is something you should learn if you're really interesting in ancient India

Give an example where recitation is necessary to 'get the point', or fuck off for eternity, faggot

That material is also not meant to be heard by non-Brahmins

this is true

Spotted the monolingual anglopleb

>language requires straight horizontal lines for every word
Impossible

I'm ESL, but thank you

>retroactively finding paralels with modern ideas
Remember kids: when a shill is trying this hard, it means you have to keep on

>these people figured out ontology and epistemology
how so? sauce pls?

>six months
Hahahaha. Sorry, i mean, i wish you good luck. I've been studying it for a year now(actually, it's been i year since i started, but i've barely done two months worth of work), though i'm sure you'll actually put more effort than i.

One tip, if i may offer some... fuck grammar (especially sandhi) until you have a decent vocabulary

I'm just saying its rather weird that Vedic scripture is apparently this treasure throve of insight yet no significant thinkers have emerged from modern India

Because when the job is done to perfection no one is going to keep working on it.

There's no question of thinking. Your own mind is your worst enemy. The brahmanas know this; their whole deal is being dogmatic about the śastras and NEVER to interpret or add new things. Because they treat their scriptures like the actual word of God

Anyone here able to recommend any resources for learning Sanskrit? Preferably free stuff since I'm a poorfag student.