Do you think Pinecone is well read? I bet he just has a team of researchers...

Do you think Pinecone is well read? I bet he just has a team of researchers. I bet he didn't even read Dosto until his 30s.

anything said on this would be pure speculation, so what's the point?

I"ve been in his apartment (I fucked his wife six times) and he only owns about 20 books. Among them, Catcher in the Rye, How to Read Nietzsche, and a graphic novel adaptation of some Borges stories. And a tv guide.

Are you serious, dude?

snakeman

do I look like I'm joking?

Thank you for being brave enough to come forward with the truth.

bump

Is there any reason you think that or just?

How pynchonian of him

Who is thomas pinecone

is there really a graphic novel adapation of borges stories?

What about the rumor that Pynchon is actually a think tank? That interests me.

tell us more user

>graphic novel
i always knew pynchon is a patrician after all

Wouldn't be surprised if this was true

I think that because no single person has that bank of references.

I guess so. I saw it at his apartment while fucking his wife.

Tom is just another phase in that ol' Rosicrucian plight to maintain the Hedron on Saturn-a-churnin', keeping us cloistered in these weird bodies that die. Mozart was another of these identities mocked up and given the work of a motley of artists.
Francis Bacon came up with this idea. His LARP was Shakespeare.

>maintain the Hedron on Saturn-a-churnin'
What did he mean by this

Is this real? He can't even be bothered to read Borges in prose form? I ask if it's real because it would kind of explain some things. His fiction has always struck me as a lesser, more cartoonish version of Borges.

you're right. i bet it's true.

why would you say that user?

That's been covered

I think he probably knows more than anyone alive.

He is kind of like Joyce in that he is amused by learning as much as he can about everything. I don't know how anyone into literature would wait to read Dostoyevsky though.

He waited because he's lazy and was intellectually intimidated. I know someone who's friends with Pynch. They have lunch sometimes and talk about all the writers and subjects that terrify them but that they feel pressured into knowing about.

I have lunch with Pynchon sometimes. He always wants to go to trendy ethnic restaurants. I'm talking about the kind of places that serve like "mongolian barbecue tacos." And he always gets one of everything on the menu even though he enda up throwing most of it away. Anyway, I can confirm that he's terrified of reading Dostoyevsky. He talks about it a lot in hushed tones.

One time when I was talking to him and Harold Bloom over korean chicken wings, it became apparent that he had never heard of Herman Melville.

I go to a knitting class with Tom and he claims his Grandmother read him Crime and Punishment as a boy.

He always claims to have familiarity with Dosto to people he doesn't like.

That's odd because when we were smoking bowls together he claimed he always claims to have unfamiliarity with Dostoevsky just to mess with people he likes to not dislike.

That makes a lot of sense. During one of our casual strolls on the beach, I asked him what are his thoughts on Don Quixote. If only I knew he was so insecure I would have understood why was he changing the subject each time i mentioned it.
Damn.

My cousin had cancer and used his Make-a-Wish request to meet Pynchon. Me and a few other family members got to be present and I asked what his favorite novels were. And he said that the only books he ever bothered to finish were On the Road, Catcher in the Rye, and Infinite Jest. He said the rest of the books in the world were bollocks (I know, weird of him to affect a british colloquialism, it made us all oddly uncomfortable).

Yeah, that was pretty insensitive of you. Most of his inner circle onows to only talk to him about reality tv.

I recall a night at our squash practice where he claimed to meet a "dying person who was without a doubt faking it which was why I lied and told him my favorite books were three that I wrote and sent off to be put under different names, yes I thomas pynthon wrote Infinite Jest under the psynonym DFW".

All of you joke but I actually knew him.

Yes, he was probably the most well read person I have ever met.

piss poor bait

As opposed to the other posts in this thread which are true.

you got it champ

I actually did have the honor of meeting Mr. Pynchon. I'm not friends with him or anything. I just happened to run into him on the street and recognized him from the James Bone photo and stopped him (while displaying deference of course). We talked for about 120 seconds, he was very kind. I noticed he was carrying a book under his arm and I asked him about it. "Oh this old thing?" He said, pulling it out. "Just something I picked up on the recommendation of Borges." It was some obscure work of theology but I can't remember exactly what it was. I thanked him and moved on.

I forgot to add in my anecdote that he admitted he couldn't understand a word of it and found it very intimidating.

And he really misprounounced 'pseudonym'. That wasn't a mistake by you, by an accurate transcription.

pls include me in the screencap

I ran into Pynchon on the Yale campus where he was visiting his good friend Harold Bloom. I asked him if there were any 21st century writers that he enjoyed. "Well, there is a young man by the name of Tao Lin that I'm partial to." was his response.

What if half the post in this thread were by Pynchon himself.

I used to carpool with Thomas Pynchon back in the 90s and the only book he had was one he used to snort pure cannabis from.

>before and after you read the thread posts

No I met Ruggles (that's what his friends call him) at a Jack-in-the-Box once and I must say he's very well read.

When I approached the counter with 5 dollars in hand in order to pilfer myself one of those "Munchies Boxes," a man wearing what seemed to be a mustache made of brush bristles approached me with the awkward gait of an electrified skeleton. He stopped me mid-air, my stomach rumbling as I licked my lips with only the thought of Merry Munchie Meat on my mind, and he said "hey, my friend Ruggles... well, let's just say he's the kind of guy who reads a book, he reads a book and he says 'man, what a world we live in.' Do you catch my drift?"

His iron-grip on my shoulders paralyzed me. I smelled his cologne, it was like a burning forest of pine rippling through my sinuses. He pulled me away from the counter, the Jack-in-the-Box employee's empty stare barely changing direction as she greets the next customer with "Hello, Jack Box." The mustache man pulls me to a table at which sits a beautiful Jewess, her black hair descending from her neotenous head to form two pillars between full red lips - soft chubby hands calmly placed a book onto her table next to a half-eaten order of Bacon Cheddar Potato Wedges.

The mustached man grabbed one of her tacos and slowly forced them into his mouth, bits of meat and cheese getting caught on the bristles that formed his mustache. The Jewess looked at him with pretend disdain, slowly forming into a grin as her hand traveled up his leg. "I used to date a Vietnamese girl named Bao. Her parents fled 'Nam. She told me that the horrific fate of her people had activated some strange instinctual drive towards obscene amounts of sex. I was eating a pizza. She told me that without the threat of death and oppression, sex would lose any of its existential meaning. It would just become sneezing or coughing. Once I finished my beer, I told her 'shit, that's intense.' I only called her again to get my Russian dictionary back."

The Jewess asked me if I had any weed, her sultry voice exciting me to no end. I asked her what book she was reading and she answered "Milk and Honey." The mustached man scratched his crotch and told the Jewess to get up so they could make it to Mexico before morning. "If anyone asks, I'm Thomas Pynchon," he said as he left the premises.

That's incredible. I counted up the posts I made and it amounted to exactly half. Very astute.

You're a terrible, tryhard writer.

>mfw he walks with a duck head cane

If I lived in New York I would probably go Pynchon hunting

Just wait outside his apartment. You do know his address, don't you?

No.

At first I doubted this was him but I thought about it and realized that his walk is the same as the one in the James Bone picture.

compare the hair

The hexagonal storm on Saturn I think. Hard telling with tweakers and schizophrenics.

Wow

When Doc and Coy are talking at the Boards' house he walks by the window and looks straight to camera.

meh I don't believe this. Hang out with Rugster (nickname for his close friends) every now and then when he visits Nova Scotia. We talk about writing and writers sometimes (btw he stole the idea for Mason and Dixon from me) and he LITERALLY never said this.

He despises DFW though. Thinks he's still alive lol

>Thomas Pynchon himself posts on Veeky Forums
>you call him a tryhard writer
The absolute state of Veeky Forums

I like to call him Ruggie