Could there be any way for you to be enjoy a genre fiction book?

I dislike genre fiction as much as the next guy here at Veeky Forums, but I have some exceptions. I have found novels like Solaris, Gormenghast, and Book of the New Sun to be phenomenal genre fiction. In my case, it's because they had the same characteristics that would give a book literary merit, and thus were overall much better written than your average sci-fi/fantasy novels. What about you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jhWeBvgNnIE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just don't read airport shit like King, Murakami or James Patterson or Grisham and you're good.

There are to many classics desu I need to read all those first

>I can't change overnight into a serious literary author. You can't compare apples to oranges. William Faulkner was a great literary genius. I am not.
Well at least he's honest.
Yeah, I basically want to write genre fiction but it's serious literature and not airport crap.

I really enjoy Le Carre, or the Smiley stuff anyway

Solaris is not genre fiction, most of what Lem wrote isn't to be honest.

No, fag. True intelligence comes from reading literary fiction. Reading SciFi makes you less intelligent. My IQ is above genre fiction, and it is high in number. Genre fiction is like watching film, turn your brain off. But my brain can't turn off unless it was killed. What kills the brain here is genre fiction. Better to not read what kills your brain since you have but one per life.

To be fair, you have to have a high IQ to understand literary fiction...

Lmao you're fresh. Go back to r/rickandmorty.

>Muh IQ 2high
Then I'm Kirby, a Canadian Government Agent and professor of metaphysical philosophy.

youtube.com/watch?v=jhWeBvgNnIE

>tfw you like literary fiction a lot but you also like stories about wizards and shit
Life's a struggle

You BTFO'd the entirety of Veeky Forums. How could you do that? Don't you realize that those snooty pedantic narcissists who frequent this board have feelings? Now how are they going to feel smart, stroke their egos, and hide their crippling inferiority complex?

It's cute when kids read their first big boy book and think they're hot shit

theres nothing wrong with lowbrow genre fic or high literature. the thing to avoid is midwit pseud shit

What would be some examples of midbrow pseudo literature? That's the first time I heard such a term. I need confirmation that you are not making things up.

Eeeee Eee Eeee: A Novel by Tao Lin

How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti

Open City by Teju Cole

Friendship: A Novel by Emily Gould

Tree of Codes by Jonathan Safran Foer

As She Climbed Across the Table by Jonathan Lethem

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

The Kraus Project by Jonathan Franzen

Important Artifacts and Personal Property From the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion, and Jewelry by Leanne Shapton

Can’t and Won’t by Lydia Davis

The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman

DUDE IT'S WRITTEN WORDS, SAME MEDIUM SAME THING

Is that aimed at me or at people who believe so? I said in my post that I didn't think that way.

I must have overlooked that part while reading all your "Hurr, I'm too smart for genre fiction"-shite.

Obviously 90% of genre fiction is garbage,
but the same is true for "literary fiction".

I... never said that. I just said I generally disliked genre fiction because I didn't see much merit in it and because most genre fiction books I've read were poorly written, but I never implied that it was because I was "too smart" for it. In fact, I was berating for saying the things you accused me of doing.

4channers sure are thin-skinned.

Also, name bad literary fiction.

daily reminder that the iliad, odyssey, and the divine comedy are genre fictions

This