Why is this the Veeky Forums starter kit? Most these books suck

Why is this the Veeky Forums starter kit? Most these books suck.

because literally anyone can go into paint and make a Veeky Forums starter kit

>what is entry level

I'm sure there's better entry level books, these are trash.

Okay well if Veeky Forums wants to be taken seriously they need to put a stop to that

middle school reading stack

Ha ha look at that he actually did what u said the madman

Then make your own patrician entry level chart you dingus.

this is less a Veeky Forums starter pack and more of just a basic list of books every human should read

Wtf i love dicks in my cheerios now

This is on the front page of the Veeky Forums wiki in the sticky

Get a load of this totalitarian cunt

I only started reading "seriously" last year and read American Psycho, Siddhartha and The Picture of Dorian Grey due to this list and really enjoyed them.

It's hard to dive straight into some of the books discussed here when you haven't read much in the past, and most of these are great starters. I'm not a smart person and even found Siddhartha difficult to read, having to re-read pages several times. American Psycho is still one of my favourite books.

Also I'll probably end up reading a few more off that list if I just want something easy.

Let's be honest, a lot of really old Veeky Forums had some pleb taste
Not that the board's currently in its ideal state though

I feelya fellow brainlet bro. I read a canticle for liebowitz which is fucking scifi and felt like a retard. Probably am one tbqh

Okay well maybe those are good but 1984, Invisible Man, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Fahrenheit 451 are straight up awful even if you're in middle school (When most people read these books).

There's a different one that is a lot better, but ridiculing an entry list for having easy entry books is ridiculous
That being said I can't change the fucking sticky, if I could it would direct to KJV Genesis
And the Veeky Forums Veeky Forums starting point has always been the Greeks

hyperbole is straight up awful

this is fine for anyone literally entering reading, i'm assuming there's a seperate infograph on how to get started with the greeks anyway.

i feel it's more zigzagged

1984 isn't even bad it's just overrated by normies, and as a result people who actually read books feel the need to hate it. Orwell is a good writer and 1984 has both an interesting storyline and interesting ideas.

there are at least 10 of those

At one point I tried to get into the greeks in an attempt to become a learned man. I failed miserably and couldn't understand a thing.

I think this is a starter kit to learn about what Veeky Forums shitpost the most, it's only missing Ulysses, IJ and some Pynchon

Oh fuck off. They're widely accepted books and straightforward entry points into literature because they are clear in communicating their themes and not too heady for the average person.

I honestly don't know what people expect out of what is essentially a beginner's guide to literature. There are a few odd choices but you don't typically introduce people to reading via Genet or some shit.

It's actually better than the religious and philosophical reading paint drying drivel that most of Veeky Forums is reading

>1984 suuuuuucks!! am I patrician yet boys? teheee

yeah no peterson wtf?

No, those are some splendid and accessible books, perfect for a starting kit.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a great hs read desu

This is the real starter kit, with the exception of Faulkner and Borges

And this
So check yourself OP

It's taken from middle-high school reading, because they are simple works to analyse themes, characters, and prose styling. Which is also why they're given out in schools. It's to get people who aren't at high school level to read and understand something within their range. And if you think most of them suck, you're not able to explain how and why those elements of literature are commonly accepted to apply to those books and are well dispatched.

What's wrong with Faulkner?

Not a damn thing. AILD never really stuck with me though. For me it goes: Sound & The Fury, Absalom, Absalom!, Go Down Moses, and A Light in August.

AILD benefits greatly from being short

Not entry level, atleast not Sound and Fury

As I Lay Dying is perfect entry level once you've passed 8th grade

But then he would have to create content and expose himself to possible criticism, and he is too much of a coward for any of that rubbish.

>p&v translation of notes from underground
are you kidding? their translations suck

Nice projection fag.

2010 was a different time. We should really try to update the old charts.

New chart should include:
>Infinite Jest
>Ulysses
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Culture of Critique
>Ego and His Own
>Fanged Noumena
>Stoner
>Iliad and Odyssey
>Bible

It's an arbitrary cover you fool same with Fagles

>>Culture of Critique
>>Ego and His Own
>>Fanged Noumena
>>Stoner
These don't belong. But someone should go through all the charts on the wiki and remake them.

I would consider these all relatively easy to read and in some way prepatory for further reading.

>Foundational Texts

Illiad & Odyssey
Homer

The King James Bible
Various

The Metamorphosis
Ovid

Paradise Lost
Milton

The Complete Works
Shakespeare

>19th Century

Lyrical Ballads
Wordsworth and Coleridge

Complete Poems
Keats

Middlemarch
George Eliot

Moby Dick
Melville

Huckleberry Finn
Twain

The Brothers Karamazov
Dostoevsky

Anna Karenina
Tolstoy

Selected Short Stories
Chekhov

Selected Short Stories
Maupassant

Madame Bovary
Flaubert

A Doll's House
Ibsen

>20th Century

Heart of Darkness
Conrad

The Importance of Being Ernest
Wilde

Winesburg, Ohio
Sherwood Anderson

Dubliners
Joyce

The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Joyce

Complete Poems
Yeats

Sons and Lovers
D.H Lawrence

Complete Short Stories
Hemingway

The Great Gatsby
Fitzgerald

As I Lay Dying
Faulkner

The Metamorphosis
Kafka

Journey to the End of the Night
Celine

>Lyrical Ballads
>Wordsworth and Coleridge
Does this have Coleridge's best work or is he secondary?

>These don't belong
We need to meme these even harder until there is no choice.

Lol

Only a few poems, but Coleridge isn't really an easy poet. He's very good but not easy. Has Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

The idea is to confine it to reading you could get done at a slow pace over the course of a year or so. I tried to pick stuff that's had the biggest impact on what you would end up reading, which is modern and contemporary lit, as well as putting in just enough to wet the tounge on Victorian and earlier.

that's pretty slim compared to the charts for those things and broader movements in the sticky.

Well then here's a chart for you. Tell me if you think it's missing anything.

Its entry level not an overview.

>starter kit
>doesn't include The Stranger

I agree with most of these but especially with the fact that there need to be a lot fewer American books on such lists. That Americans cant read proper literature doesn't mean the rest of us wont.

What the fuck is wrong with you? The Gulag Archipelago is a great book.

No one on here cared about it before it appeared on Peterson's meme list.

that's a list for teenagers and people who have never read anything in their lives user. Its not meant to be for adults who finished highschool with decent grades in Language Arts

Land isn't forced desu he is a perfect chan meme thinker his pseudy prose is spot on

>the best, most fluent thinker of our time likes it so it must be shit!

You're on lit, remember

fanged noumena and gulag archipelago have been on this board a while and definitely were not forced
the rest I agree with

Fuck all of you, Invisible Man is a great book and I've never heard otherwise, give me some reasoning why it's shit tier and not good for entry level readers.

name a single book from that list that isn't good for someone starting in lit.

>The Metamorphosis
>ovid
do ya mean Metamorphoses dummy?

All of them are good, short, and easy. OP is either trolling or an edgy teen trying way too hard to fit in by not liking entry-level books.