What is the most obscure book have you ever read Veeky Forums? Did you like it?

What is the most obscure book have you ever read Veeky Forums? Did you like it?

>define obscure
Not popular but very good, censored, polemic, obscene and/or is related to social taboos.

MY

Don't say your diary

... j-journal.... desu...

The journal of albion moonlight isn't that rare, but I have yet to meet anyone who's heard of it.

I have a first edition of a book detailing German combat tactics, written by a Polish general in 1941, and published in 1942. The copy belonged to a local library and the checkout card shows rapid checkouts and returns up to 1944, and then becomes extremely sporadic. Somewhat interesting.

IM OBSCURE BOOK RIIIIIICCCKKKKKK

Probably "In Search of Lake Monsters" by Peter Costello, about lesser-known Loch Ness type situations around the world - not bad considering the /x/ content.

I literally read nothing but obscure literature all the time. I lurk in the hopes that someone might mention something remotely similar to what I've read or to post about God.

ooHoly shit

Dude you're being a real Gregory Berrycone rn

local biographies. Im fairly sure there are some books Ive read where I am the only living person in the world who as read them

That's.... a wwweeeeiirrrd kinda feel man.

Parcelsus is prettt obscure i guess

had a mild chuckle

is Gurdjieff worth a read?
he could be associated with new age bullshit, but he isn't as cited as others

Heavily fictionalized biography of Rimbaud. I pulled it off the library shelf because the title sounded cool. The author seems to have been popular in the '50s, but fell into obscurity. I highly recommend it.

gurdjieff's influence on the new age is massive. he was a major influence on osho, idries shah, and he has some really sketchy connections with naqshbandi sufis

he's a fraud, steer clear of his work. check out whitall perry's book on him or louis pauwels book "gurdjieff"

>gurdjieff's influence on the new age is massive. he was a major influence on osho, idries shah, and he has some really sketchy connections with naqshbandi sufis
>he's a fraud, steer clear of his work. check out whitall perry's book on him or louis pauwels book "gurdjieff"
psh

Don't listen to this user, form your own opinion on Gurdjieff. Ouspensky's The Fourth Way, or his In Search of the Miraculous is a good place to start.

>major influence on Idries Shah
Debatable. Shah seems to have claimed that Gurdjieff was using esoteric Sufi doctrines and hinted that he himself (Shah) had received the same teachings at Sufi schools, and that Gurdjieff's teaching was only suited for his particular time and place. There's no proof he was a direct influence on Shah, and if anything, Shah seemed to refute Gurdjieff by subtly suggesting he somehow corrupted/stole Sufi teachings.

>some really sketchy connections with naqshbandi sufis
What's so sketchy about naqshbandi sufis? I think they're great and fine people.

I just want to read some ocultism that is more practical and doesnt predicate on metaphors or phrasing things weirdly.

I was reading The Fourth Way as I wrote the post, thats why I wanted other's thoughts on him.
He is very practical and straight forward, I liked that a lot.

>metaphors or phrasing things weirdly.
that's a perfect description of gurdjieffs convoluted bullshit

Free key to enlightenment

Then rec something

Der Golem by Gustav Meyrink

It's really well written and unsettling.
Allegedly Lovecrafts favourite horror novel.

Name of the book? Maybe a pic?

Reminder.

delet, also
>jung

me and caleb

Attack, Major F.O. Miksche. Also, he was Czech, not Polish, sorry about that.

I have a bunch of nice hardback magic books.

Personal favorites:
Encyclopedia Goetica - JSK
Techniques of Graeco-Egyptian/Solomonic Magic - Stephen Skinner
Typhonian Trilogy - Kenneth Grant
Dragon Book of Essex - Andrew Chumbley

this, also The Green Face by the same author

Herodas Mimes in Swedish

My great grandfather wrote a book on spiritualism. Probably that.

Gurdjieff's not doing that because he's a postmodernist, he did it for, also, a very straightforward and practical reason. He thought people could only value his ideas if they worked hard to grasp them. He didn't want to activate the reader's passive consciousness, but rather their more engaged and active consciousness. Because you'd have to take a lot of effort to read it, he thought the very effort would allow the ideas to be more memorable in the mind of the reader and have a greater effect on them.