I wouldn’t dare give myself a ranking among my contemporaries in any field other than craftsmanship...

>I wouldn’t dare give myself a ranking among my contemporaries in any field other than craftsmanship. And in that field I’d rank myself first. My sentences are the best-shaped of any sentences written by any writer of fiction in the English language during my lifetime. The previous sentence is a fair average sample of my prose.

Other urls found in this thread:

3ammagazine.com/3am/eight-questions-for-gerald-murnane/
meanjin.com.au/essays/in-praise-of-the-long-sentence/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

maybe it's even true, I've never read him. seems like an interesting guy.

3ammagazine.com/3am/eight-questions-for-gerald-murnane/

literally who.

meanjin.com.au/essays/in-praise-of-the-long-sentence/

Here Murnane shits on Pynchon lmao

>Pynchon was a mere pretender

funny, because this straya cunt so, basically a grandson of some random criminalliterally HAS TO shit on the greatest living writers just so that his "I'm the best writer alive dur dur!" narrative seems at least somewhat coherent, as otherwise people would just assume that he simply isn't aware of the greats' existence.

Such pity. Shameless, sad guy.

he certainly isn't doing anything to change my conviction that Australia was a bad idea.

itt: angery americans

Australia is the nightmare from which we're all trying to awake.

actually I'm British, and Murnane amuses me rather than making me angry. he has such an inflated, deliberately isolated idea of himself. I think reading him talking about his writing is probably better than he writing, I'll pretend he's a fictional character written by someone else.

As a fan of Murnane I agree with this. He has such a bizarre persona that I have to pretend that it's some kind of weird performance art to not find it insufferable.

he talks like a fag and his shit's all retarded

are any of his books worth reading or should I just browse some interviews?

The Plains and Inland are fantastic.

He's not wrong, he's a writer on the level of Borges and Proust. Most of the greats were egotistical and fully knew how good they were so I don't find it surprising.

What did you guys think of Border Districts?

pynchon is meme shit desu

what is it that makes him so great?

okay never heard of the fag what book should i read

You know why he suits Borges and Proust?

Because Borges never finished a book longer than 200 pages and Proust literally spent money on positive reviews

>My writing looks like writing
He needs to rewrite it.

What are his books about?

craftmanship, cunt

I don't know tbqh but they are certainly composed of sentences, he's made that very clear.

"... [t]his vanity about style is couched in an even more pathetic conceit: perfection. There is not a single poet who, as minor as he may be, hasn't sculpted (the verb tends to figure in his conversation) the perfect sonnet, a minuscule monument that safeguards his possible immortality, and which the novelties and effacements of time will be obligated to respect. It is usually a sonnet without curlicues, though the whole thing is a curlicue, that is, a shred of futility."

"The perfect page, the page in which no word can be altered without harm, is the most precarious of all. Changes in language erase shades of meaning, and the "perfect" page is precisely the one that consists of those delicate fringes that are so easily worn away. On the contrary, the page that becomes immortal can traverse the fire of typographical errors, approximate translations, and inattentive or erroneous readings without losing its soul in the process. One cannot with impunity alter any line fabricated by Gongora (according to those who restore his texts), but Don Quixote wins posthumous battles against his translators and survives each and every careless version. Heine, who never heard it read in Spanish, acclaimed it for eternity. The German, Scandinavian, or Hindu ghost of the Quixote is more alive than the stylist's anxious verbal artifices."

RIP