Dan Dennett: the point of philosophy is to convince average people that science has everything figured out

>Dan Dennett: the point of philosophy is to convince average people that science has everything figured out

youtube.com/watch?v=9qxadhDB6qQ

Mission accomplished

How seriously is this man taken in academia? And I mean that as a genuine question. I know that a lot of famous physicists that normies rave about like Hawking are just considered "pretty good" by academia at best, and obviously we all know that normie "le auteur" authors like Hemingway are just considered "pretty good" in English academia. I know nothing about how how philosophy academia views this man, and I suspect he's considered great by some professors and that the majority just consider him the hawking of their field: his work is alright, but he's so outspoken that he's more meme and man

I had a philosophy of science professor shit on people like Dawkins and black science guy when they try to speak about philosophy. However, he said that Dennett was okay.

I fucking hate Dan Dennett but he's definitely well above Dawkins and le black science man

He’s generally respected but seen as kind of a dinosaur in some aspects, especially w/r/t his behaviorist tendencies

He's Peterson-tier

Quine is the worst thing to happen to philosphy

>Hemingway are just considered "pretty good" in English academia

I mean, relative to who? He's considered one of the 20th centuries greatest American authors.

By the general public and academia. Academia doesn't treat him academically however, they just poke him with a stick and say that he's a solid author and then move on. He's not a darling of academia and compared to his peers, for instance Faulkner, he doesn't have as much good critical commentary or theory applied to his work. The opposing type of author would be Joyce or Nabokov.

the opposite of Ernest Hemingway is Thomas Wolfe

This lad is willing to sacrifice truth, reason and consistency just so that he doesn't have to give up the free will noble lie before he croaks because he believes humanity depends on it.

Elaborate.

He redefines free will to such a degree that it has nothing to do with the conventional discussion on free will because he wants to keep the phrase.

What would be your satisfactory definition of free will?

I'm genuinely interested.

I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE

He's rarely (if) ever mentioned in serious academic contexts. When the topic of science popularizers comes up, he's usually regarded as the most agreeable of the bunch, but that's mostly in reference to his rhetoric and general cuddliness, not to his positions.

Personally, I think he's a bit of a non-entity, and his empty babble on compatibilism rubs me the wrong way.

He meant in the context of academic treatment.

So elite among the elite?

This dude's knowledge of philosophy is broad and deep, when it comes to bill nye's netflix show. not even the old PBS one, just the netflix. wtf is he talking about, who is going around praising scientists right now?

>the science meme

>the fedora meme

seriously enough I guess

>le free will vs determinism false dichotomy