Why does this shit resonate so much? Has it permeated our culture to that degree...

Why does this shit resonate so much? Has it permeated our culture to that degree, or is it truly one of the greatest things ever written?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/11054461-the-iliad-of-homer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why does everyone love the iliad? At least in the odyssey homer was going out and doing shit here we got crybaby achilles and a bunch of people who I don't give a fuck about fighting for a whore that i dont care about

The gods in it represent pieces of our psyche is you allow them to overpower you.

>Poseidon:Tell that Zeuz faggot I will fuck his shit up if he keeps nagging
>Messenger: You sure I tell him that?
>Poseidon:You right maybe next time, tell him we cool babay

any further reading on this?

No but its common sense

It actually changed my life more than any fiction. The ideals of bravery, pride and above all Arete made me rethink my own existence, and how I could achieve those virtues relative to my time and place. Starting with the Greeks is not a meme

Achilles is possessed by wrath, Paris lust/love, Agamemnon power, and above all fate. Greek heros have to have a fatal flaw. Like Odysseus and his arrogance.

Yes, but we can agree chapter 5 was kind of shit though right?

If you're a faggot, sure. For the rest of us, Diomedes's aristeia was good fun.

>chapter 5: In which diomedes flips his shit
>bad

>crybaby Achilles
His outrage is that of a soldier's whose commander has betrayed what is right. Abandoning the war and getting his immortal mother to convince Zeus to push the Greeks to their breaking point us strictly his prerogative. I doubt you'd have the balls to go up to Achilles's tent to tell him otherwise.

>Like Odysseus and his arrogance.
Hm, he didn't strike me as an arrogant person.

him gloating to polyphemus is pretty much what causes his ensuing ten-year punishment by poseidon

Is there any reason to try and remember all that shit at the end of Book 2?

>Everyone loves the Iliad
Umm sweetie I don't so
goodreads.com/book/show/11054461-the-iliad-of-homer
(filter by 1 star reviews)

think so*

>violence against women
I guess i've read it in a wrong translation. Where can i get what she has read?

>by today's standards there are better things to read
I mean they're not wrong

The book opens with agamemnon forcibly seizing briseis against her will
And Achilles is upset by this not because of injustice but just because someone took his bitch
IDK what you're on about man

No, but if you read the Greeks besides homer you'll notice them popping up constantly in foundation myths. Pretty much every classical city/region could trace its foundation back to someone in the Iliad. It's alot easier (& more enjoyable) to memorize once you have a neat myth and some historical narrative to tie each hero to.
I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself to memorize anything by rote without some broader knowledge/context of the subject.