Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea...

>Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen-core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a
peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.

>The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner-ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthur-nuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends
an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since dev-linsfirst loved livvy.

What did Joyce mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/S10477819#p10478170
vocaroo.com/i/s01KvGHn00ib
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He meant that he was a blind Irishman in search of something original.

God I fucking loathe James Joyce. Anybody who pretends he's anything more than a mick fraud with an exceptional talent for churning out hot nonsense is talking completely out of their ass. Reading Joyce is the literary equivalent to urethral sounding.

Suddenly I remember that the purported FW reader's group didn't last until week two.

warosu.org/lit/thread/S10477819#p10478170

There's a bit of hope for the Anti-Oedipus group here (thanks to me) though it doesn't really know what else it wants to be just yet. The most recent AOE thread was good and seemed to have some knowledgeable people in it.

>not understanding that urethral sounding is pleasurable when done properly

This is true of Finnegan's Wake, but not Ulysses.

Finnegan returns from over the short sea (the new world (the world created at the end of the natritive)) back to the start of the story where he is killed once gain by the voice of god, thus reseting the events of the story.

You pleb

oh neat, I've read it seven times and never realised this.

Sir Tristram, violator of love, from over the short sea, had (had passencore → as passenger? pass encore → pass once more, pass again → which relates to the next word, rearrived. ancora:) rearrived from north america, landing on the scraggy isthmus (a narrow strip of land with sea on either side, forming a link between two larger areas of land., peninsula like), or europe mionr to wield and fight, to wieldly fight, his penis- penisula war;

nor had top sawyers (tom sawyer esque...top...) rocks (balls, stones, testes) by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselves to Laurens countys gorgios (Laurens gorge...his balls did not exaggerate, they did not appear bigger then they were, but maybe were quite big: to Laurens 'gorge'..vagina...:

while they went doublin their mumper all the time:... doublin, dublin... doubling.. mumper...bumper....banging...doubling, 1 and 1, doubled...double time... making kids..?

nor avoice from a fire bellowsed...bellow...said...mishe mishe to tauf tauf thuartpeatrick...

tough tough? Thwart? pea. trick?

no yet, thought venissoon after....(very soon...venison...)

had a kidscad (scad) buttended a bland old isaac.... (anti semitism?) (speaking of the celt tribes what they were up to before issac of the bible was born?)

not yet, though alls fair in vanessy... (vanity?),

were sosie sesthers... (suzzie? ) wroth, with twone nathandjoe (nathan and joe...twone..twins?)

rot a peck of pas malt (rot a pack of pa's beer) had jhem or shen brewed by arc light

and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface ( ringsome on the aquaface...circle on the water... rory end...rorys butt....moon...mooning...moon on the surface?)

The fall of a once wallstrait oldparr (au pair? old pa... old pair (of balls)... wall straight... straight and sturdy as a wall.... the death of...)

is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstresly..

(as a child, tails of the fall of man... wallstraight falling...sin.... and later on life....turn to religion...? death bed...?)

the great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man

(a solid man, (pftjshute)...pft...shoot....?? reaction of a sturdy man, to the thought of death...)

that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoesl

(humpty dumpty....hill head.... humpty dumpty fell off wall....roll down the hill.... promptly sends an unquiring.. instead of inquiring....a not knower... a nonthinker... sends to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes..... his toes.... his tummy...his footing... his grounding... and gut.....

and up turn pike point and place.... is at the know out in the park... where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since dev insfirst loved livvy.

(oranges laid to rust.. sweet garden fruit forgotten... on the green...eden allusion??.,,, since dev linsfirt loved livvy.. version of adam and eve?

baaabalakolanyopilikgaybieanolintommmmuummmbbberrrrbuuuuuuuummmmmppppp

>vanessy
fantasy

>and up turn pike point and place.... is at the know out in the park
up turn... heavensward... is at the ..... know-out.... in the park...park, eden...know-out....

Obviousshimpletimeee diggleedooda, binglee ting tong. BIPPITTEE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Slippilshammywormnessnessnessnessnessnessnessnessness callmymommyfathersistercousinmesame. Heformedhouse jimmywasIrishworldsametownbirthgoo.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh.

Woah, guys, I think I just rewrote the world with that masterpiece.

>'
>hating on books whose title you can't even spell

>rot a peck of pas malt
rot (brought, wrought, got, - rot...fermentation...)

FW is a fucking meme that he wrote just to prove that he could get away with anything and the retards who worship the author rather than the work would still eat it up.

Don't get me wrong, Ulysses is probably the best novel of the English language, but that doesn't suddenly make everything that Joyce wrote genius. Whatever you take away from Finnegan is something that you've read into it yourself.

Who knew Joyce was the most elaborate shitposter of all time?

The potato famine didn't go far enough, evidently.

i have Finnegan's wake in spanish, and is really fun

>venissoon
venus son....ven (diagram)...is soon

i read my brother a couple passages from this and he laughed his ass off at all of them. he's doing it right and you're all doing it wrong

>nor avoice from a fire bellowsed
nor a voice from a fire bellow said

>were sosie sesthers
were so thee others...were rosie sisters.... were so they saysers...

>the great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute
entailed the...pft ...shut

>since dev insfirst loved livvy.
dev...devil??(apparently..divine, god...)... insfirst...incest....loved livvy....livvy...living...live...
((Armenian mythology) a monster, dragon, serpent, or giant
(Armenian mythology) immortal spirits who inhabit old ruins)
(Derived from Sanskrit देव (deva) meaning "god".)
(In Sanskrit the meaning of the name Dev is: divine; god.)

Devin is an English-language masculine given name. It is of dual origin, from the surname Devin, which is an anglicization of the Irish patronymic Ó Damháin, and from a nickname based on Old French devin "divine" ( Latin dīvīnus). The Irish patronymic is in reference to the given name Damhán "fawn".

Can you give me a source for your first claim? Without giving proof of his "writing it just to fuck with retards," you yourself are guilty of taking away from the book something you've read into it yourself.

that's just very soon

thats just what you think, and who are you, what are your credentials, how are you certain you know?

what now? hey now...

Just read Dubliners

we are at the beginning of a new cycle. of course from "not yet" to "the fall (thunderword)" joice is giving a timeframe by mentioning things that have not happened yet.
i havent seen a lotta people mention this but i noticed the events mentioned here sort of reflect the events that happen each cycle.

sir tristam - penisolate war: talks about the first of the howth family who came over to fight some shit in dublin.
embodies war, also implied to be a sexual one
topsawyers rocks - mumper all the time: talks about the creation of a town in georgia called dublin.
embodies the building/creation of something
nor avoice - thuartpeatric: talks about both moses getting his mission, petrus getting his name and st. patrick baptising ireland.
embodies some sort of baptism/getting a name
kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: besides some irish politcs, talks about jacob fooling isaac
embodies some sort of betrayal
were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe: some stuff about jonathan swift's side hoes and possibly a reference to the story of esther
embodies some sort of act of the feminine i think, least sure about this one.
rot a peck - arclight: reference to the part in the bible where noah got shitfaced drunk and his kids had to cover him with a sheet
embodies some kind of covering of the body
end - aquaface: talks about a rainbow on the water. the whole stuff about god making peace after the flood and all
embodies some sort of peace

now in the next few pages we go through this cycle (stuff is from the synopsis on fweet.org):
–003.15+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.C: [003.15-003.24]: the fall — the thunder}}
–004.01+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.D: [004.01-004.17]: storms of warfare — fall and rise}}
–004.18+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.E: [004.18-005.04]: Tim Finnegan the masterbuilder — his tower}}
–005.05+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.F: [005.05-005.12]: his crest of heraldry — his fate}}
–005.13+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.G: [005.13-006.12]: the causes of his fall — he dies}}
–006.13+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.H: [006.13-006.28]: his wake — laying him to rest}}
–006.29+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.I: [006.29-007.19]: he is interred in the landscape — about to be eaten as a fish, he disappears}}
–007.20+ {{Synopsis: I.1.1A.J: [007.20-008.08]: he sleeps under Dublin — entrance to the museum}}

top tip of the day----

normies love finnegans wake; always keep a copy around so you can read it to drunk people at parties

y-you do get invited to parties, don't you user?

He’s talking about commodes; commodes gave him the horn. That is they gave him erections which people called horns back then for the erect penises resemblance to a horn. That is where we get our contemporary word horny from if you didn’t know.

getting drunk and reading passages from finnegans wake seems hella fun

what version and where did you get it?

It's actually more true for Ulysses than Finnegans Wake

>doublin their mumper all the time
doubling their number.....doubling their mum ... per....

brb

gonna try to read this a bit later

in a bit

vocaroo.com/i/s01KvGHn00ib

since Dublin first-loved Liffy.

> had passen-core rearrived from North Armorica

pas encore is 'not yet' or 'not again' in French
Armorica is a Celtic area just north of the Iberian

>since Dublin first-loved Liffy.
devlins... devilings....devin...devlin...divine....dev.... since peters, since pauls, since rorys, since chrises, since devlins first loved livvy...since the first man loved the first woman...since the masculine arose and loved the feminine

>Sir Tristram
trist...sad...ram...tryst...a private, romantic rendezvous between lovers.....tram

The first section you posted is a cartography of the body of Humphrey Chimpden Earwhicker (HCE) as a giant who has morphed into his environment. This was hinted at in the first paragraph where his initials become "Howth Castle & Environs" which just refers to his environment.

As mentioned "penisolate" refers to his penis and "rocks" refers to his balls. Also, "passencore" is his core or heart, "bellowsed" is his bellows or lungs, "oconee" is his knee, etc. The word "nathandjoe" when read backwards with the exclusion of the letter "d" becomes "joenathan" which is a reference to Jonathan Swift who also used giants and toilet humor in his satirical stories and probably influenced Joyce.

But this is just one of many interpretations of this section.

>gorgios
gorgeous

ooh the cartography one is good, haven't heard that one before

He was trying to tell us it was Autism.

yo Op post the next paragraph....wordddd

You can read more about it from John Bishop's book about Finnegan's Wake.

Pic related is his drawing.

anna means "favor" or "grace" or "beautiful"....livia name meaning life .....plura refers to more than one thing.....belle means a beautiful girl or woman

Favor/grace/beautiful-Life-Many-Beauties

Plausible interpretation.

Another interpretation is that the word "riverrun" in the first paragraph evokes Anna Livia Plurabelle (ALP) in the form of River Liffey which runs in the center of Dublin and of FW. However, River Liffey does not seem as not as beautiful as her name. It has been said: "You pull a chain and in a jiffey, your shit is floating down the Liffey." Brendan Behan said, "Someone once said that "Joyce has made of this river the Ganges of the literary world," but sometimes the smell of the Ganges of the literary world is not all that literary." Some commentators have also linked the word "riverrun" with the German word "urinieren" which means "urinate." The connection of River Liffey to excretion and urination could have been entirely unintentional, but when Joyce's previous works are taken into consideration, it seems that this was intentional.

Also in the same sentence the word "commodius" in "commodius vicus of recirculation" can be interpreted as a pun on the word commode which is just a toilet. This further supports the scatological interpretation of ALP.

What clashes here of wills gen wonts, oystrygods gaggin fishygods! Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu Ualu Ualu! Quaouauh! Where the Baddelaries partisans are still out to mathmaster Malachus Micgranes and the Verdons catapelting the camibalistics out of the Whoyteboyce of Hoodie Head. Assiegates and boomeringstroms. Sod's brood, be me fear! Sanglorians, save! Arms apeal with larms, appalling. Killykillkilly: a toll, a toll. What chance cuddleys, what cashels aired and ventilated! What bidimetoloves sinduced by what tegotetabsolvers! What true feeling for their's hayair with what strawng voice of false jiccup! O here here how hoth sprowled met the duskt the father of fornicationists but, (O my shining stars and body!) how hath fanespanned most high heaven the skysign of soft advertisement! But was iz? Iseut? Ere were sewers? The oaks of ald now they lie in peat yet elms leap where askes lay. Phall if you but will, rise you must: and none so soon either shall the pharce for the nunce come to a setdown secular phoenish.

dope

hold my beer...

Finnegans Wake is fucking fantastic, one of the best things ever conceived.

I willing to wager I'm the only bloke who has read John Bishop's book here

>the whole thing is just a big poo joke
Figures

It isn't

yaasss

not him but i feel like the idea of joyce fucking with the audience is an idea someone could state just from cursory skimming of a few paragraphs rather than actually having to read 'into' it and derive a non-surface meaning like others

we are born between shit and piss

Wall straight (standing straight up...)....fall.....(giant)laying down (across dublin)....(weird old englsh habit of making S's F's)lay down your sin..... Sin agains wake.....

.... fin...(like shark fin...something in the water that directs movements...makes wakes...)....gan....(go)...fin... a gans...wake.....fini....finish....the wake of finishing....wake....ceremony of death.....wake...to wake up....to finish again and wake up....finishes death ceremony....

o word

gonan try ana reed tomer

ayy ayy, ai ai oi oi thatta boi

joice is really going wild on the love = war thing here. just a few examples

oystrygods gaggin fishygods:
- Visigoths vs Ostrogoths, the two gothic tribes that sorta decided the fate of europe
- can also be read as oyster (vagina) and fish (penis)

the Verdons catapelting the camibalistics out of the Whoyteboyce of Hoodie Head:
- the verdons, an old english family in dublin vs the whiteboys, a sort of resistance thing of irish farmers.
- can also be read as a verdon (a type of lance/longsword, aka a penis ) catapulting cum n' ball-istics out of whoyteboyce of hoodie head (semen)

. Assiegates and boomeringstroms. Sod's brood, be me fear:
-assieger, french for besiege, boomeringstroms, a boom storm, probably related to artillery or canon fire. sod's brood, reference to Sodom and Gomorrah, which got destroyed by fire and brimstone, very artillery like.
-assiegates,(arse gate, anus), boomeringstorms (knowing joice, probably farts or something) sod's brood (sodomizing aka good ol' anal)

>>North Armorica
>from north america
The absolute state of Veeky Forums

>the love = war thing here
I follow the connections underneath this statement, but not how they relate to that statement or how you come up with that statement

>almost every word contains multiple meanings
>except that one!

joice tends to mention war or conquering to sex or love together as double entendres quite a lot of times, hinting at them being connected or maybe being two sides of the same coin. even in the fist page you see it back:

Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen-
core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy
isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war

note the violer d'amores and penis-olate war, which both have the war/sex double reading as well.

He meant that he was a pretentious twat.

is this a tristram shandy reference, I know Joyce loved it

>What clashes here of wills gen wonts wills and wants
....wills and wonts ...gen...generation??...gents??

>oystrygods gaggin fishygods!
oysters...pearls...fishys gaggin on pearls....or yes...penis and vagina stuff....oystry...strong casing...protecting pearl....fishy...fins....swift...slimey...

>Kóax Kóax Kóax!
cocks...cocks...cocks....coax....coax...coax....co ax...co ax...co ax...

>Where the Baddelaries partisans are still out to mathmaster Malachus Micgranes
Baudlarie His most famous work, Les Fleurs du mal (The Flowers of Evil)....bad lair....baddelaries......battle aries.....battle rays... battlers.....perfectly master....malchus: (French) a type of sword.....migraines...

>and the Verdons catapelting the camibalistics out of the Whoyteboyce of Hoodie Head.
cannibalistic.....self kind eating....cam...Etymology. From Latin quam....A cam. Recorded since the 16th century, from Dutch kam (“cog of a wheel; originally, comb”) (cognate with English comb, and preserved in modern Dutch compounds such as kamrad, kamwiel (“cog wheel”)).....balistics....out of the .....white supremacists.....

>Sod's brood, be me fear!
sod....grass....the children of grass/dirt....graves....death......

>Sanglorians, save!
The name Lorian is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Lorian is: Modernand Laurie referring to the laurel tree or sweet bay tree symbolic of honor and victory...
Sang....lorians....save...

>Arms apeal with larms, appalling.
larms....alarms....arms appeal with alarms...appaling.

>Killykillkilly: a toll, a toll.
a toll...a price to pay....from the irish (gaelic) word "cill" which means church, its pronounced like "kill".....The origin of the name "Killeen" Derivation from the Irish "Killeen" is the anglicised version of the Irish Surname "Ó Cillín", (pronounce "O Killeen"), which, in the female version, may be changed to "Uí Chillín" (pronounce "Ee Killeen") for a woman's married name, or "Ní Chillín" (pronounce "Nee Killeen") for an unmarried female. The prefix "Ó" means "From," i.e., "Descended From." "Uí" is the genitive (or possessive) case of "Ó", indicating "(wife) of the descendant of Meaning: "Cill" + "ín" The suffix "ín" (pronounce "een") means "small." "Cill" or "Ceall" originally meant "cell," and then extended in meaning to "church," "church-yard" and "grave-yard," as well as "treasure-box," "nest-egg" and "treasure." In the "grave-yard" context "Cillín" (and its English version "Killeen") came to mean the small "cill" or burial-ground, outside of the consecrated grave-yard, where unbaptised infants were buried. This is often its meaning in placenames....

>What chance cuddleys, what cashels aired and ventilated!
..what chance cuddling??....cud. the portion of food that a ruminant returns from the first stomach to the mouth to chew a second time.......what castles large and airy.....cashels....money....

>What bidimetoloves sinduced by what tegotetabsolvers!
bid me to love....induced...by sin....thee got it absolvers....the goat tit ab solvers.....tet...The root is not tet, but tetra-, meaning 'four' in Greek....
absolve to release from blame, sin, punishment, obligation, or responsibility. 2. to pronounce not guilty; acquit; pardon. absolvable..... the go for absolvers...

>What true feeling for their's hayair with what strawng voice of false jiccup!
hay hair....blonde....heir.....hay...straw...strawng...strong....voice of false.....jig up.....hiccup.....jacub.....hay air....

>O here here how hoth sprowled met the duskt the father of fornicationists but,
how those sprawled....spr owl ed....sprow led.......duskt....dusk....evening....death...the father of sinners....butt.....

>(O my shining stars and body!) how hath fanespanned most high heaven the skysign of soft advertisement!
pro fane...spanned....most high heaven... feign....

>The oaks of ald now they lie in peat yet elms leap where askes lay.
ald Etymology. From Proto-Germanic *aldaz (“grown-up”)....old..... elms....alms...money or food given to poor people....leap... where askes lay...asks....questions...ashes....

>Phall if you but will, rise you must: and none so soon either shall the pharce for the nunce come to a setdown secular phoenish.
Phall....phallic....fallacy....pharce for the nunce....none....nounce....once....nun...come to a set down....set....Set /sɛt/ or Seth /sɛθ/ (Egyptian: stẖ; also transliterated Setesh, Sutekh, Setekh, or Suty) is a god of the desert, storms, disorder, violence, and foreigners in ancient Egyptian religion....phoenish....phonenicians.....The mythical bird phoenix also carries the same name, but this meaning is not attested until centuries later.)...phoenish....finish....

>except that one!
except....accept...

and so...love = war...in what way? Why do you think Joyce thought that? What can be meant by that? I am going to attack and destroy those people cause I love them? I love my wife so I am going to battle her to the death?

you're not supposed to take it as literal as that, but fair enough, i didn't phrase it very elegantly. what i think he meant with it is in reference to the whole repeating cycle the book seems to be about, which starts with some act of intense action, which can be read as both sex or war. but even then you must be at least somewhat familiar with the whole "thin line between love and hate" sentiment

>oystrygods gaggin fishygods:
>- Visigoths vs Ostrogoths, the two gothic tribes that sorta decided the fate of europe
>- can also be read as oyster (vagina) and fish (penis)
Holy fuck this is pathetic. So glad I never wasted time on this childish trash.

The reason this doesn’t make sense to you is because everyone has told you it’s nonsense. Ditch the preconception, then let the words wash over you and realize just how simple it is, and how multilayered.

Offwall is apple but also offwall

Each makes sense on its own. Hereon lies the secret to fw

>>Kóax Kóax Kóax!
Cucks Cucks Cucks!

Names Noice

here thee here thee I reckon I do declare

form