The Sun Also Rises

Well, now I'm depressed...

gay

You just made me want to read this again it's been awhile since I have picked it up.

I'd be depressed too if I devoted that much time to Hemingway.

Good read, but For Whom the Bell Tolls is still better. Especially the ending.

Is there any particular order one should read Hemingway in? Or should I just go at a random order?

Greetings, OP. I see that you've successfully read between the lines on Hemingway's transparent roman a clef which euphemistically describes his ravaging butt sex crusade through Europe as a ripe young man. It's not easy seeing the truth and trudging on, and you are to be commended for your fortitude.

Here's a pretty useful chart except I'd start with The Old Man And The Sea, it's pretty short (my edition is less than 100 pages long).

Definitely read some of his short stories like Hills like White Elephants, The Butterfly in the Tank, and The Short Happy Life of Francis Macombe

Does Hemingway have anything insightful to say that would make him worth reading or is it all just manly man im drunk and not gay i swear tripe?

I was thinking of getting this set, is that ok?

>fiesta

Best chapter
>Fishing and drinking wine with a brit

Don't buy a lot at once, buy what you're gonna read.
Also, a farewell to arms isn't that good.

As someone who's not read Hemingway, I don't really know what to make of you highlighting Fiesta like that.

bulls and drank, that's the whole book bucko.

Yanks call Fiesta the sun also rises.
It‘s strange. It‘s mostly Fiesta everywhere, except the US, except in some editions. Also Hem was a Yank so they probably have it right.

Ooooh, cool, thanks.
Based on previous answers I'm thinking of reading them in this order:

>The Old Man and The Sea
>Fiesta
>A Farewell to Arms
>For Whom the Bell Tolls
>Death in the Afternoon
>Green Hills of Africa
>The Snows of Kilimanjaro
>A Moveable Feast

Adding short stories wherever I can.

The brits called it fiesta. The original name is the sun also rises.

That order seems solid, but keep in mind that For Whom the Bell Tolls is an almost 500 pages long book so be sure to start that one only if you are in the mood to follow-through to the end.

I'm actually pretty cool with that, been looking for somewhat of a longer read.

>british brainlets can't handle a good literary title, so they advertise it as a travel book
>mfw imagining some bucktooth opening his spanish travel book for the first time only to find a description of a jewish nose

I know other people told you differently, but you should definitely read them in the order they were written.

>Adding short stories wherever I can.
Honestly you could start with them if you want, some of the writing in them is as good if not better than his novels.

>British brainlets cant handle literary title

>Started the avant-garde in literature
>Biggest and most accomplished literary names of all time from Britain
>Americans using their language

Dont be a retard user

TSAR is a great pleb filter. I can't count how many times this book has come up and some idiot says, "nothing happens lol"

Beginner Tier:
>The Sun Also Rises
>Old Man and the Sea
Mid Tier:
>A Farewell to Arms
>Death in the Afternoon
High Tier:
>For Whom the Bell Tolls
God Tier:
>Old Man and the Sea (but you actually get it this time)
>A Moveable Feast
>Nick Adams Stories

Explain

That's the must reads by Hemingway, and in that order. He does have other good things if you get interested and want to go for the more obscure stuff, but this is the good stuff.

>no short stories
bad chart

Most people want to start with his novels. Personally I think Francis Macombe is possibly the best story he wrote, but it's not nearly as famous as something like Old Man and the Sea.

>A Moveable Feast
Very underrated IMO. Reading about his relationships with other authors was fascinating.

Buy 2-3 hardbacks instead of 8 cancerbacks.
Then by the time you finish them, you'll have gathered enough money for more hardbacks..