How does one read the work of Spinoza? From what I can tell...

How does one read the work of Spinoza? From what I can tell, none of it has been published in modern times or paid much attention to in the first place.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

monitoring this thread with interest

Thanks for the bump.

What? I read the Hackett version of the Ethics (the first two chapters, because metaphysics lmao). You want make sure you understand his terminology or else you will be lost. The Hackett version has a glossary.

Otherwise, he is pretty straightforward if you can grasp very abstract arguments.

Yes, his format is different, but arguably he's easier to grasp because of it. He clearly lays out his reasoning or at least his reasons.

But where do I GET it? Barnes & Noble ain't got shit.

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

ctr+f to get to spinoza, then just google the ISBNs on whichever edition you choose.

Don't even bother trying to search by keyword at the BN site, their search engine is dogshit. Also you should be using bookfinder to make sure you're getting the best deal.

Amazon

Is this bait? Do you live under a rock, man?

>From what I can tell, none of it has been published in modern times or paid much attention to in the first place

>From what I can tell, none of it has been published in modern times
How the fuck did you came to this conclusion, Spinoza is one of the most studied philosophers in contemporaneity to the point where you can kinda get sick of people trying to prove Spinoza supported whatever they want him to support.

download pdfs online

you're welcome brainlet

Hey, no need to be a fucking cunt.

Archive.org, Project Gutenberg, Amazon. You can find what you need in short time on Google.

No, you're the idiot who thinks Spinoza's works have never been published in modern times, much less ever discussed within or outside philosophy departments. Also, you are so inept as a shopper in the age of the internet that the first place you go to shop for books is B&N. So, you will sit here like literal brainlet that you are, and listen to us as we ridicule you, and tell you how out of touch you are in the 21st century!

Nah, how about you just fuck off. Cunt.

Is that Jerry Seinfeld?

No, but he is a Jew.

Spinoza isn’t really that talked about anymore, Leo Strauss has written some good essays about his philosophy in his collections ‘Liberalism Ancient and Modern’ and ‘Persecution and the art of writing’

To understand the way Strauss thinks about modern philosophy you should probably read his ‘Natural Right and History’ and ‘what is political philosophy?’ First though.

Leo Strauss’s interpretation of Spinoza, in my opinion, is the best and most plausible. Strauss’s interpretation of Plato, Nietzsche and Heidegger are probably the best also.

He was a hack

I'm more interested in the ideas of God as the unknowable, unreachable disinterested and non-interventionist sort actually.

There's two giant volumes translated by Edwin Curley

>From what I can tell, none of it has been published in modern times or paid much attention to in the first place.