>I will never forget
>The horror
>It could not be described!

Other urls found in this thread:

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/te.aspx
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/rw.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=kBiMYhA9cMY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I had an experience that I could also talk about like this, but mine was beautiful.

>"My faithful cat, Nigger-Man".

what the fuck, Howard?

This is meant to be a shitpost but even this gives me the spooks

Nigger-Man was, completely unironically, the high point of Lovecraft's writing career

I know, it's fucked
Future proof yo shit FFS

I was one of the few people who actually never heard of the cat before reading him and I laughed like a madman when I read the rats in the walls and seen it

And my axe

same
i was reading it in shitty filthy chairs at the store while my gal was shopping for clothes, and laughed out loud increasingly boisterously every time the fucking Nigger-Man made his next move
i remember the day clearly and fondly

This isnt about blacks

Holy shit dogheads BTFO, catnigger master race

?

well are you gonna blue-ball us, or are you gonna give us a completely Lovecraftian account of the tale? it will surely be filled with poor use of the first person, repetitive boring adjectives, and a lot of excuses for not being able to describe or even remember it
i'm confident you can do just as good as he did though, maybe even better, considering your experience is non-fiction

HOLY SHIT DOGHEADS BTFO, CATNIGGER MASTER RACE

the horror was so horrible i can't describe it
but it was really bad
so bad i got nightmares and made poopoo in my sheets and my mommy made me wear diapers again
and that was so embarrassing i cannot describe

significantly better than lovecraft

>the feline excretes discreetly on the weeds, afterwards burying his digested treats before they reek
>THE FAT DAG SHATS HIS GATS OUT ON HIS OWNER'S CARPET AND ROLLS AROUND IN IT

I read
Colours from Space
Mountains of Madness
Innsmouth
Charles Dexter ward
dunwitch horror
Call of Cthullu
the thing on the doorstep

Anything essential I am still missing?

The Rats In The Walls is the ONLY essential Lovecraft

nah Innsmouth is peak patrician

Rats in the Walls, The Horror at Redhook, The Outsider and the Haunter in the Dark are all really good.

Special mention for the Temple and the Dark Brotherhood

The Rats in the Walls
Dagon
The Lurking Fear
The Outsider
Shadow Out of Time
The Silver Key
Horror at Red Hook

I just wish Innsmouth was longer.

ok adding to my backlog
Yeah. Horrormovies don't do it anymore for me but my cat loving niggerhating autist still manages to leave that feel of uncanniness in me for days.
added to thr backlog

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/te.aspx

Everyone seems to overlook this one, but it's one of his best.

>It could not be described
>I describe it 2 paragraphs later

anthropomorphize this much?

Lovecraft is terrible, literally trash, like so bad that it makes me ashamed to call myself a student of literature, since unfortunately, there is a very large community of pseuds who call his writing """literature"""

>Lovecraft is terrible
Horrific i would say, even indescribable.

Ever since it got popular around millennial ""nerds"" I started to hate his shit, too.
Why do have communities have to ruin everything?

>only humans have a sensibility of self respect
Brainlet

hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/rw.aspx

>ctrl+F shows nineteen times he wrote "Nigger-man"

any links to Youtube readings where they are confirmed to read the original, un-jewed "Nigger-Man"???
Rats in the Walls is the only lovecraft story i like, and i think i only like it because it's fucking hilarious every time he talks about Nigger-Man

>Nigger-man

youtube.com/watch?v=kBiMYhA9cMY

Conrad Feiniger who is by far the best Lovecraft reader

ty starting now

Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Great fucking read, desu

Music of Erich Zann
Pickman's Model

I can't get into any of his dream cycle stuff myself. Not sure why but it doesn't draw me in like his other work

>Oh no! Non-euclidean geometry!

The Horror! The Horror!

Truly the biggest meme he spawned

Why is it Nigger-Man and not just Nigger?

Did he just want to emphasize that the name was making fun of the people called nigger in case anyone mistakenly thought that that he was implying that niggerness was somehow a quality that could be divorced from black people and found elsewhere in the animal kingdom?

Yes

Not a nigger-woman either

Show a cat a piece of string and they go off their tits with excitment

Well it was male

P A T R I S H

>when your high as fuck and the girl won't stop screaming

Truly a soyboy

Whenever Lovecraft is mentioned tb H I feel compelled to post all fish people

My eldest cat, “Nigger-Man”

Where is Dagon? You're missing out on that.

>how do I into 19th century English lit, Lord Dunsany and the storied tradition of creating entirely an self contained mythos?

qt on the bottom middle, would spawn

>nobody posted how he described Brooklyn

"The organic things inhabiting that awful cesspool could not by any stretch of the imagination be call'd human. They were monstrous and nebulous adumbrations of the pithecanthropoid and amoebal; vaguely moulded from some stinking viscous slime of the earth's corruption, and slithering and oozing in and on the filthy streets or in and out of windows and doorways in a fashion suggestive of nothing but infesting worms or deep-sea unnamabilities. They — or the degenerate gelatinous fermentation of which they were composed — seem'd to ooze, seep and trickle thro' the gaping cracks in the horrible houses ... and I thought of some avenue of Cyclopean and unwholesome vats, crammed to the vomiting point with gangrenous vileness, and about to burst and inundate the world in one leprous cataclysm of semi-fluid rottenness. From that nightmare of perverse infection I could not carry away the memory of any living face. The individually grotesque was lost in the collectively devastating; which left on the eye only the broad, phantasmal lineaments of the morbid soul of disintegration and decay ... a yellow leering mask with sour, sticky, acid ichors oozing at eyes, ears, nose, and mouth, and abnormally bubbling from monstrous and unbelievable sores at every point…"

>Implying that a horror writer should show you the boogieman

All good horror writing, movie, story, anything, is steeped in our fear of the unknown. Whether we fear the mysterious thing, the alien thing, the impossible to know cognition of the serial killer.

Where is it? What is it? Jesus fucking christ it killed John smashed his head where the fuck is it.

The moment the creature is seen, it loses half its scare factor. It becomes a tangible entity, that may be avoided, mitigated, or even destroyed. Our lack of understanding to its composition or biology are other scare factors, but we begin to hash these out the -moment- you see the boogie man.

"Oh, it's a tentacle monster." "Great we can fucking burn it."
"Oh, it's a vampire." "Great we're safe during the day, we grab some crosses and we're Guchi."
"Oh, it's a ghost." "Great, priest time."

>"Oh, it's.... I don't know what it is. Some kind of timeless unkillable existential horror that will drive one insane with terror as soon as it is perceived."
>"Oh.... fuck. What the fuck do we do?"

There's nothing you can do. Lovecraft cuts off the avenues of response. That's good horror writing. Only thing I'd say he's missing is the lure, the bait. Great example is The King in Yellow. It seduces the reader, just pops up, manifest when you least expect it. Curiosity could be a draw mechanic instead of just a hubris mechanic in Lovecraft's work, but it's otherwise quite good horror construction.

Shit characterization though.

Reminder that Lovecraft's career literally and unironically began with a racist shitpost

>In 1911 Lovecraft's letters to editors began appearing in pulp and weird fiction magazines, most notably Argosy.[38] A 1913 letter critical of Fred Jackson, a prominent writer for Argosy, started Lovecraft down a path that would greatly affect his life. Lovecraft described Jackson's stories as "trivial, effeminate, and, in places, coarse." Continuing, Lovecraft said that Jackson's characters exhibit the "delicate passions and emotions proper to negroes and anthropoid apes." This sparked a nearly year-long feud in the letters section of Argosy between Lovecraft, along with his occasional supporters, and the majority of readers critical of his view of Jackson. Lovecraft's biggest critic was John Russell, who often replied in verse, and to whom Lovecraft felt compelled to reply to because he respected Russell's writing skills.[39] The most immediate effect of the feud was the recognition garnered from Edward F. Daas, then head editor of the United Amateur Press Association.[40] Daas invited Russell and Lovecraft to the organization and both accepted, Lovecraft in April 1914.

Why do you think that? Maybe I don't lurk enough, but I haven't seen any genuine points against his work. Maybe I'm gay. Probably.

if you think a little more about it you'll come to realize it's actually a cop out. it's easy to shroud a monster in mystery, but it's difficult to construct and reveal a truly scary monster

>lovecraft fanbois
>thinking
there you have your explanation

I think this isn't true. In many cases, lack of description is lazy. In horror, it is not. You may get the semantic concept of the thing, but the thing itself remains mysterious. Actual amount of time the shark was visible in Jaws, etc.

In the case of horror alone, shrouding in mystery is the correct path, that produces the desired reader reaction if the other writing supports it. A great horror movie up to the last 1/4 is Man Vs. The utility of suspense in this film is peerless outside of the upper crust of horror. The feared entity is shown to be extremely brutal, intelligent, malevolent. The entire movie collapses once they show you the boogieman. Because the alien is an existential, corporal entity, it may be negotiated, defended against, and counter-attacked. Same happens in Jaws. You can hit anything you can see.

>What is scary about something I know that I can destroy?

Nothing. It becomes a matter of problem solving, the horror is lost. I do not fear the lion if I hold a sufficient gun. It only becomes a matter of caliber and ammunition. Pacific Rim is not scary. Pacific Rim would be terrifying if they did a movie about the first monster from the perspective of a swimmer in the water, with the thing sliding through the unknowable depths. The actual shape of the creature is arbitrary.

We are not scared by 5,000 teeth more than 1,000. We are scared by the idea of the leviathan in the water. Coming.

>Pic related. There are only so many teeth.

Event horizons are a thing described by non-euclidean geometry and I don't see you nonchalantly walking towards one.