*teleports behind you*

*teleports behind you*
*name the song playing in the background for no reason at all*

Why does he do that?

Atmosphere

he's a hack.

>le sad character
>breaking point
>"Should I describe his thoughts and feelings in a deeper way in pos of crafting a complex and emotional moment around its psyche?"
>Got an idea
>Starts typing
>"sounds some Bach-Jazz-Beatles shit in the background"

Why wouldn't he? It seems absurd to me that people take issues with him using name brands or naming the artists his characters listen to

This man... in my country... he is nothing.

Not OP, but in my opinion is just irrelevant and mediocre.

If you want to create an atmosphere using the music as a catalyst, use your 'writing skills' to DESCRIBE that music instead of just dropping a random band/name.

Geez, how many writers can fall in the same mistake?

>Don't tell, describe

That's retarded and just seems like some sort of anti modern bias. Murakami's books largely take place in the late 20th century and are in the first person. It makes perfect sense for the narrator to name the artist of the music they're listening to.

Explain After Dark.

its 'show, don't tell'

but i get your point, desu

What about it? I've never read a single good argument against the using of name brands or companies or artists in his work. Of course it's possible to do it poorly but it always feels natural to the character and the situation with murakami.

Which is advice for people who are completely new to writing, it's bad advice for anyone talented or who knows what they're doing.

>implying Murakami has any discernable talent

He's a naturally talented, immensely succesful and very intelligent writer who has won every major literary prize in his home country and many outside of it.

Boomers are obsessed with pop music

gr8 b8

The popular "origin story" for Murakami on how he began his career is that one day while at a baseball game the home team hit a grand slam. In the instant that the ball was struck, he thought to himself, "I could be a writer". The story is almost certainly apocryphal, but in a way it is very true. I read a couple Murakamis and the feeling I always got from his books was that while he could write a story, he himself was not actually a writer. Constant references to things he likes are just inserted in there, characters sound like lifeless moutpieces for his own values and reflections, and the constant stream of sudden, explicit imagery is put in seemingly only to shock the reader. The books are filled with so many flaws common in stories made by fresh-faced high schoolers that I can 100% believe that this is just some random guy who picked up a pen on a whim.

*main character starts eating a lemon*

Only fact, which is why your refutation is a meme

Congratulations, you seem to be a very surface and facile reader. I recommend 'How to read and why' by Harold Bloom

Wow.

Calm the fuck down, Haruki.

Go on then, tell me what I'm missing when Kafka screws his mother and drinks her blood, or when the narrator in Hard Boiled Wonderland lists out his movie collection before talking about how kids these days just don't appreciate Bob Dylan

>or when the narrator in Hard Boiled Wonderland lists out his movie collection before talking about how kids these days just don't appreciate Bob Dylan

hahahah this sounds like a great take on a boomer, I hope it's ironic, I need to read this book now.