How did Christianity win out over Platonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc...

How did Christianity win out over Platonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.? I've read quite a bit of philosophy and I must say that the Bible is the most philosophically sparse work of all of the major religions/philosophies. The entire Bible contains less worthwhile philosophy than one good Platonic dialogue or the Upanishads, for example. The few worthwhile philosophical parts of the New Testament can be better gotten from philosophers like Parmenides.

I will admit that Psalms and books like Jonah, Job are quite beautiful but overall one can easily tell the Bible is written by a spiteful, slavish people, and this is demonstrated in their hateful, jealous God.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Persuasion-Rhetoric-Italian-Literature-Thought/dp/0300191510
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

good b8

Christianity is easier. The only thing that's really comparable is pure lands sects of Buddhism.

Christianity is heavily inspired by Platonism
the Bible is not a philosophical work, of course it;s more philosophically sparse than Buddhist texts, considering Buddhism is as much a philosophy as it is a religion

>muh Buddhism is a philosophy

get your western revisionist bullshit out of here

it's obviously not pure philosophy like some new-age twats would have you believe, but it's definitely more inherently philosophical than any western religion

Wanna know how I know you're in high school?

To get the deep philosophy you need to read the early Church Fathers

Because Christianity offers hope and love to a greater degree than any of the things you listed.

I don't think people want to philosophize. The bible provides pretty simply rules to live by, I think that's what people want.

It's mostly light asceticism and Platonic ethics, lol.

>live a life of crime and murder, all while you know pretty clear youre acting wrongly
>dont worry say ur repented, welcome christ in ur heart and all is forgiven! heaven awaits for you lol
christianity is the religion of the weak and the corrupted, of course it would win everyone.

Probably by being mandatory.

It's a religion that spread through the commoners, literal slaves. So of course it needs to be shallow and whiny for them to parse it. The book is literally written by slaves and plebs. Old Testament was mostly compiled under Babylonian captivity when the Jews were a slave race. New Testament is 50% Paul, a guy self-loathing commoner who's religion is a huge reaction to James humilating him. The other 50% is the work of his followers

Buddhism, Platonism, and Hinduism were all created by aristocratic and was developed chiefly by them, than only later spread to the common folk.

the culture of christianity revolves around the praise of the individual that transcends nature.

Christianity didnt really win over Hinduism or Buddhism because it spread into pagan europe. As for Platonism i dont know, it got absorbed into christianity later i guess.

In pagan europe everything was able to be some god. Maybe the ox is zeus descended or your brother is actually at the river and the person your looking at is apollo disguised as your brother for some unknown reason. Anything could be any god, at the favour of your rival or enemy city.

Baptism was when god would give you an individual soul and would protect you against all of that, so long as you do as he commands. you had/became a part of god and that made you not fear the arbitrary pagan gods, which you were now equal to.

this is one reason why i think people converted to christianity.

>a guy self-loathing commoner who's religion is a huge reaction to James humilating him
when did this happen?

Because philosophy is bull shit for autistic nerds who don't understand how humans work. Sociology is the superior science, Philosophy isn't even a science lol. Also you are dumb as fuck "the few worthwhile philosophical parts of the New Testament can be better gotten from some irrelevant Greek butt boy"
Hahaha nigga how are you real, tell me which Greek philosopher was God made Man and died for our sins, which can be washed away with a literal baptism.

>I will admit that Psalms and books like Jonah, Job are quite beautiful but overall one can easily tell the Bible is written by a spiteful, slavish people, and this is demonstrated in their hateful, jealous God.
Stop being antisemitic

>this is one reason why i think people converted to christianity
Well it's fucking bullshit. Noone believed anything that silly in Rome. If you claim thus provide evidence.
A more realistic reason would be that for christians religion was the most important thing, highly dogmatised and written down with a at that time believable story.

It's less probable than Platonism but more probable than paganism thus all the literal plebs converted.

> Sociology is the superior science

lol

>the most philosophically sparse work
That's probably your answer

Read Rene Girard.

The Christian God is the only one that proclaims that the sacrificial victim is in fact innocent. Everything else, of which Nietzsche is the chief, basically states that murdering others for your own profit is right.

underrated

Paul basically went around doing his theology without talking to the origenal followers of Jesus. When word got out that someone was spreading heresey James wa pissed, he was the leader of the Jesus religion at the time and called Paul a fraud. He dragged him out and forced him to confess to his followers that everything he taught them was a lie. In other words he was a proclaimed a heretic by the successor of his the guy he is preaching about. I can't imagine anything more humilating.

His entire theology is about the butthurt from that time. Paul tried to draw a line between the spirit of Jesus and the physical person because James actually knew Jesus and Paul didn't. Which means nothing Paul said could be true but everything James said would be cannon.

Such as?

James 2:26, heathen.

You actually have to repent tho, you can't just say it, so most psychopaths are probably going to hell since they are probably incapable of true regret.

What are you loling about you fucking plebeian piece of Dreck, philosophers are autistic, they have NO IDEA about how human's work. Hence their retarded questions like "How come Christianity succeeded while Hinduism is the religion of anthropomorphic shit?" Most philosophy is a waste of existence, and is just autistic ramblings that have no basis in human relations.

This first response but unironically

The Church fathers aren't very good at writing or philosophy. One exception might be Palamas. Otherwise you will mostly get advice like "Stay away from satanic entertainment!". Chystostomos as an example told everyone to go to church instead of secular entertainment or festivals. Basically no fun allowed.

>How did Christianity win out over Platonism
It didn't, the two merged with each other.

>The entire Bible contains less worthwhile philosophy than one good Platonic dialogue or the Upanishads, for example.
That's why it was so easy to merge them.

Anyone want to answer this?

dionysius the areopagite
macarius
pic related
gregory palamas
john of the ladder etc

not a christian btw but this stuff is great

Because eternal damnation and hellfire are great incentivizers.

>How did Christianity win out over Platonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.?
It didn't. Christianity has fallen flat on its face in India

Because it isn't about aesthetics, it's about truth.

>admitting Christianity is aesthetically shit-tier

Platonism is easy to merge with most monotheistic religions. I could easily make the argument Platonism is more compatible with Islam, than with Christianity.

Chyrstostom also said it was a sin to fail to satisfy your wife sexually, so fun definitely was allowed

Most philosophers don't care how humans work. They care about truth. That's the point of philosophy.

this

>it's wrong because I would've done it differently
That's not how you judge validity

>if it's made by the aristocratic then it's more plausable
Nah dude, that's not how it works

>forced to satisfy your fat oaf of a wife
>aren't even allowed to visit prostitutes once in a while to satisfy your basic urges

Stop this meme, none of these obscure ‘le wisdom’ Christians are anywhere near as profound as you want them to be.

Christianism offers an eternal beatiful after life to the miserables of the world. It's a religion made to disminish the suffering of the slaves. Considering that the vast majory of the people suffers you know why it's so appealing.

It didn't. There are still buddhists and hindus. Besides, most christians i know have their own headcannon because they admit to the corruption of the church, even though they're all sinners

>Newton not profound
>st John of the cross not profound

>How did Christianity win out over Platonism
lol

because it's easier to grasp, most christians have never studied christianity. Especially in the time of illiteracy. It's so much easier to grasp a single anthropomorphic god and run along with some easy and nice traditions.

It was appealing to the masses at the time

>Newton
>John of the Cross
>Early Church Fathers
Not quite

I just started reading Bible few days ago, finish Deuteronomy now. Is God ever going to shut the fuck up with demands? He's more needy and nagging than a woman on period
>NOOO I SAID TWO PINCHES OF FLOUR NOT THREE THE WHOLE SACRIFICE IS NOW RUINED REEEEEEEEEEEEE
Also, why does it feel like Genesis was hijacked by retards? The God of Genesis is a demonstrably all-powerful creator of all there is, the God of Exodus is a bitch who needs Pharaoh's written permission to get the jews out of Egypt. And he sure makes a point of reminding the jews of it every 5 minutes.

>obscure ‘le wisdom’ Christians are anywhere near as profound as you want them to be.

Maybe it won because it's the truth?

>NOOO I SAID TWO PINCHES OF FLOUR NOT THREE THE WHOLE SACRIFICE IS NOW RUINED REEEEEEEEEEEEE
lmao

In Paradise Lost, God the Father withholds knowledge, sets up situations and allows His creation to do what they choose in order for them to learn and grow on their own. He essentially is playing a part for the good of His creation's growth. Perhaps God is doing the same in the parts of the Bible that are hard to understand.

The core message of Christianity is ultimately a pure unapologetic love

>reveals real motive in the last few sentences
>can’t into parables, metaphor, cryptic occultism or imagery
sad!

I have to disagree. This exact thing you speak of - that the Bible is not "philosophical" enough - is one of its biggest strenghts. The Bible actually has deeply philosophical passages (look for idealism in Matthew) but its exact strenght was the destruction of Aristotelian logic with statements like "God is one, but three" "God was killed, but still lives". It seems that you are looking for classical philosophy á la Platon (which the Bible also contains) whereas the philosophy of the Bible is closer to Hegelian logic (see Hegels lectures on religion). The Bible is so successful because it can easily be read in two ways - the one is the "simple believer" way - just read the thing and accept its incongruity - the other is the "scholarly" way - try to explain the problems using philosophy and history, try to explain something that, as the Bible itself states, cannot be explained. Theologists constantly deal with what Lacan calls the "real" - the Bible is, like every great work of art, an insolveable riddle that nevertheless invites philosophical speculation - although it can simultaneously be read as a simple book of "religious facts" (which, as we just discussed, are not really facts, but can be accepted AS axioms).

>How did Christianity win out over Platonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.?
Because it's the truth, and the rest of that crap is conjecture and bullshit.

Plato described it thousands of years ago: Rethoric vs Truth
The masses are ignorant and choose good rethoric over profound arguments. I assume you are familiar with the ship allegory? That said, I do not believe Christianity got everything wrong, but many of it's teachings are misguided.

Good post

You sound like you need to read my boy Michelstaedter

amazon.com/Persuasion-Rhetoric-Italian-Literature-Thought/dp/0300191510

Matthew 20, christcuck

Interestingly, he made no comment about it being wrong--he merely observed that "the weak and corrupted" would find it persuasive.

>its exact strenght was the destruction of Aristotelian logic with statements like "God is one, but three" "God was killed, but still lives"

I love when the best defense religious people can make is that they destroy logic by simply stating contradictions.

>The entire Bible contains less worthwhile philosophy than one good Platonic dialogue or the Upanishads, for example.

I'm a Platonist, I dislike Christianity, and I too think that the Bible as a whole is inferior to the works of Plato, but this just isn't true. If you didn't find these things in the Bible, then the problem is with your reading, not the Bible itself. Few pieces of literature are as sublime as the book of Job, the story of Joseph, or Ecclesiastes.

I think is due to the fact that Christianity is simpler to digest for the masses. AND for all intents and purposes it appeals to the highest human values (hence the greatness of western christian civilization)

Have you even read them? They are boring and preachy. Not philosophical at all.

Umm sweetie thats wrong.

They hijacked the Roman empire and then spread their cuck religion by the sword.

I am not even religious - I am just saying that this kind of religion appeals to people because it presents an unsolveable riddle, like a work of art. I am an agnostic.