Veeky Forums jobs

One of these again, boys.

What did you study in uni and what is your current employment position?

>Studied
English Lit and History

>Job
Datacuck

The job itself is tolerable if dead-end. The most draining and frustrating aspect of most modern office jobs is having to sit in an open-plan office where the lights are too bright, the people too loud, the room to warm and stifling, the microwaved meals too pungent, etc.

Studied Broadcasting, Graphic Design Major, took lots of lit electives.

I drive a truck and deliver cabinents. Its great, work with a bunch of weirdos who fight and bicker over dumb shit all the time and I get to read a lot during down time.

I didn't and back office work.

First time I read the pale king years ago it didn't really do anything for me, but now that I'm living in that boredom job doing the same tasks every day, when I re-read it I wanted to quit

>study
Philosophy, then dropped out
>work
pathetic neet

philosophy, unemployed, should have learned a professional skill alongside my lib degree while still in school

learn from my mistake anons

Iktfb.
I studied lit and philosophy and did the same thing for too long. I almost killed myself working there.
Now I manage an art museum and assist art history grad students with their research. Took a pay cut, but I'm still confortable and the last year or so in this position has made life good again.

studying German, business and probably economics. Preparing for unemployment as an artist/leech.

how the fuck r u fucks getting jobs in data with lib art degrees?

T. Neet

How do you manage a museum? Isn't that job insanely competitive due to roasties doing internships for millenia?

Keep your chin up lads. Also, this sounds patronizing and perhaps cruel but appreciate your spare time and try to make the most of it.

The Pale King really influenced my general thoughts about life and adulthood. I still ended up being angry and frustrated when I first started working full-time, but that book always taps me on the shoulder and tries to remind me not to expect too much of life etc. I love the fact Wallace (or the editors) left in chapters full of boring, complex tax-related writing. It's a neat invitation slash test to realize that even reading fiction is often a boring, thankless but ultimately rewarding experience.

I assume it's Data Entry, not Data Science or anything like that

>appreciate your spare time and try to make the most of it.

Spent enough time appreciating my spare time, I need to up and get the fuck outta my parent's house and move on with my life. :(

How would they even get a job in data entry? I wouldn't mind doing that!

give over half your life to the state for huge tits money, try anything else and you're going to a factory or a burger king

Yeah, the parts of the book about Lane Dean have stayed with me for a long time after re-reading it.

Even if it's fiction it's still good to read about someone having similar problems to you.

That, a life of crime, or inherited wealth.

Have you tried shaking hands with the manager?

But realistically and without doxing yourself: how old are you, what degree do you have and where are you based?

I don't know what you want out of life, or whether you intend to pursue some form of "literary career" but you have no interesting in writing and don't really care about reading all that much in a focused manner then I would recommend retaining in law, digital marketing etc.

you get like seven

Look online, they're shite jobs

I admit that much of the detail is lost to me, including the details of Lane's life. Though the chapter wherein he and his girlfriend are discussing abortion by the lake is one of my favorite short stories. It was published (in inferior form imo) as Good People but the book version is just great and an example of what Wallace was capable of once he synthesized his eye for detail, weirdness and sense of humour with his ability to be serious, artistically vulnerable etc.

The short version is he's struggling with his faith.

Realising that hell isn't a place you go where you die but somewhere internal, two great armies staring at each other ready for battle but no battle ever starts.

Studying:
Electrical Engineering
Work:
Security guard for construction sites

I read classics about 4-5 hours a day and get paid for it.

Correct, to an extent. It certainly isn't data science/architecture/anything requiring CS-type knowledge, but moreso than data entry it's managing large amounts of practical data (opposed to code or whatnot) and organizing/entering/calling field offices/conflict resolution/etc.

I'm not a curator, Im more of a planning and budget manager and director of research for our grad student interns. I have my own office in the back of the museum and spend most of my day reading when I'm not with the students. I got the job because one of my professors who wrote me a letter of rec for grad school is very involved with the museum and close friends with the head director. When I got rejected from everywhere but my safetys he reached out to the director because he knew there was an opening coming up. So basically good connection + good timing + grad school failure

I should also say that "director of research" is also a bit misleading. The grad students already have their theses and dissertations planned when they come here, and I essentially give recommendations on where to source references and provide thought-provoking discussions based on their studies. I'm almost like an extra chair on the PhD committee without actually being involved with their university in any way other than helping provide the required internship experience depending on the track they're taking.

Good luck mate. I had to live in my mother's partner's house with him and his kids for many months while unemployed. It can destroy your self-esteem. Keep applying and try not to despair.

It sounds comfy. I wish I hadn't been such a depressive sperg in college because I missed some great opportunities to make connections and to learn from people. Live & learn I guess.

>Studied
Journalism

>Job
Reporter

I love it.