Shelf thread

I didn’t see a current one in the catalogue, so post your shelfs and get some recommendations senpai.

please do it part by part for a better picture, thanks!

Judge me. (I know I have three copies of the Sun Also Rises and I don't know why)

*don't judge me

r8 it

Zappa book is underrated af

Pt. 1

Wew you got fucking meme'd lad.

Pt. 2

I should add that it goes all the way around, but that is the most b8 side so I posted it

Pt. 3

>shelves with those gay little bezels in the bottom corner
why the fuck do they do this

Pt. 4

you got some good shit there, friend.

Strauss and Cropsey 10/10

It was custom made for me by a family member, but yeah they're not the best if you're trying to put a tall book in.

What's the big, fat, brown thing on the upper left?

Euclids elements.

It was kind of a waste of money desu. I also have Mathematics for the non-mathematician tucked in there and it ironically teaches Euclidean Geometry much better.

Muh diary desu

No it’s not a waste and if you ever want to discuss any part of it go ahead

>that book XIII
Uuuuuuuuuffffffffff uhhhhhhhh oh yeah baby DODECAHEDRONS DODECAHEDRONS OMFG

Seriously though XIII. 10 is just a mind blowingly awesome prop

I'm only about 200 or so pages into it. It's just something I crack open on the weekend if I don't have too much going on to try to keep learning new things, so I haven't quite gotten there yet.

That being said
>tfw looking at all the knowledge contained within and realizing one man assembled all of it

Couldn’t fit the bottom shelf, mostly international relations books

That’s because it wasn’t one man. You’re reading Euclid like I, or anyone else on this board has read him, once in a while every now and then. Trust me when I say, you will not be disappointed with how it affects your life. Yeah. Your life.

I find that if I read a geometrical proposition before the day I can think about it all day, and come back to it in my own brain while talking to others, or at work. I ruminate over it and it actually improves my logical capacities. One or two propositions a day will do ya.

But yeah it wasn’t one man. It was primarily Pythagoras, Eudoxus, and Euclid, among others actually. Still, the Elements remains one of the most impressive feats of mankind to date, and you are a logical warrior for sitting through that.

From there you could go on to harder logic or linguistics, or more mathematical propositions. It sets you up for anything. If you were interested in mathematical history you could even continue reading ancient mathematicians. What piques your fancy? Is it Books one and two, or the arithmetical work of Book V? If it’s the former you could delve into Archimedes a bit who loved I.47 so much he invented calculus with it, or Apollonius who adores props II. 4,5,6,7, among others and uses them to prove the Harmonic ratio. If it’s the latter, then Nicomachus is your sure bet, who only deals with numbers.

Last but not least read this carefully: I, and everyone else who has read The Elements knows it is hard, but it changes you into someone capable of rigorous philosophical logic. You can wield reductio ad absurdum with ease. You find the superposition arguments of other geometers similar to those of Euclid. You see a proposition for what it really is: a collection of axioms and propositions proved with other axioms that are as least demanding as possible helping to discover a system which was waiting to be discovered. Like any great philosophical truths.

>All of this middle-brow pop-politics, phil and history written by hacks and radio hosts.

Why would anyone except different from an AMerican?

please kill yourself retard

the storm before the storm is a fucking stupid name for a book
i mean the storm before the storm IS ALSO A STORM
how are you supposed to distinguish one storm from another. especially if the second storm starts as soon as the first storm ends
the book should really be called ONE BIG FUCKING STORM

i guess it would be ok if they were different kinds of storm or something. like a thunderstorm followed by a snowstorm. but if that happens you've got major meteorological shit going on, that's no time to be reading a book

>inb4 some fags start complaining that the spines aren't damaged enough

It's about the political upheaval in the Roman Republic before Caesar's generation. So it makes sense but the author did mention in the interview the publisher strongly suggested it to be marketable. It's ehh imo

>hurr durr
>le americans

we literally cannot keep people out. the best and brightest from all corners struggle to arrive at our institutions of learning

Rate mine.

fake&gay

this is one of the most patrician ones ive seen in a thread here

are you jealous, my poor friend?

I like the Jesus+erotica combo

1/3

2/3

3/3

How's "Alaska"? Worth reading?

Ugly as sin.

>How's "Alaska"? Worth reading?
John Green's best work

1/13
Chinese literature shelf

2/13
Japanese shelf

3/13
German literature

4/13
American literature

5/13
Slavic literature+other sizeable novels

6/13
Hungarian literature 1

7/13
Hungarian literature 2

8/13
History

9/13
Philosophy

10-11/13
Textbooks and dictionaries (Bottom left),Poetry (Bottom right), French Literature (Top right) and Books about travelling (Top left)

13/13
Literature of the British Isles

pseud

have you read grant? is it good?

is that ulysses in english?

Yes.
The only Joyce I have in hungarian is that copy of Portrait, since it was below a dollar's worth of money completely new.
I've read Dubliners in both languages.

what’s that Pynchon?

Seriously entry level shit. Kys get some taste

you strike me as someone who carefully selects which edition of a book to buy, and this decision weighs heavily on whether or not the cover is appealing

Gravity's Rainbow
It has a banana that's shaped like a dick on the cover.

Evangelion & LOGH, nice!

cool, may I see it?

You may.

Mindig van egy magyar...

Mindenhol ott vagyunk

bad pic

This shelf is a postmodern wet-dream.

> begins with pulp, pop-art
> into books commonly considered high-art, classics
> finishes with books deliberately mixing the two

>knick-knacks in front of the books
>books leaning instead of having support
Nice ladder

yeah i have some random objects

i always see like 4 copies of those michener books at my used book store.

>tfw you accidentally buy Infinite Jest twice

the rope lol

Rate my shelf Veeky Forums

Patrician coming through

Very nice. Are the majority of those Heritage Press?

Exceedingly narrow/10

isnt this elias' bookshelf lmao

Got any good Hungarian book recommendations? I read skylark last year and really enjoyed it.

Anyone who hasn't ditched physical media at this point is just trying to say

>LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT HOW MUCH I'VE READ! DON'T I HAVE GOOD TASTE!?

Just pirate all your books you pretentious attention whore faggot

Might look like my meme shelf but it's actually where I put nontranslated fiction. Portuguese is my first language.

noice

Might look like my meme shelf, but it's actually where I put nontranslated fiction. Portuguese is my first language.

Might look like my meme shelf, but it's actually where I put nontranslated fiction. Portuguese is my first language.

god i love the folio designs, too bad i'll never be able to read any of that shit

i know, there is no organization to this at all, i moved in recently and was lazy. gotta get to that. this is only like 3/4ths of what i have, the rest are just stacked on top of each other on the ground. sorry.

Also have a stack next to my bed with Omensetter's Luck, The Forgotten Soldier and a few others

I think you have a nice little collection. Good stuff in there.
Augustus is great. One of my favorites.

I know I'm disorganized.

Just got back home after several years overseas. Preparing to shift from a quick stay with my parents to a flat close to university.

matchbooks and bottle caps
animal figurines

Whoever started pointing this stuff out I effin hate you. now i can't unsee any of this shit. your contagious autism has me aggravated now

yeah i gotta put those matchbooks somewhere, and prob throw those bottlecaps out. more laziness than autism

>t. poorfag

I keep most of my books on my desk, but I gotta few shelves that I cycle through which are mostly uninteresting.

It was pretty insightful. Could have been edited down a little more, but leaps and bounds better than some of his other books.

This is a solid shelf. Don't listen to the pederasts who say otherwise.

The incomplete modern set of Akira is infuriating. I hope you've read your Moby-Dick.

-t. guy who's read both

I ordered the first three on Amazon years ago and saw the fifth at a used book store in perfect condition so I had to grab it. It was only like $8 which is a steal.

>Sade
>Houellebecq
>Bataille
>Dracula

Well aren't we an edgy young man then? Who is an edgy young man, hm?

No no I'm just fucking with you I have a 120 days of Sodom and other edgelord books as well.

1/?