I miss it lads

I miss it lads

I miss it too, there used to be one within walking distance of my house

>set up moderately comfortable bookstores all over the country
>drive all competitors out of business with questionable practices
>???
>bankruptcy
I don't. The stores were always nice right after they opened and then got progressively worse as they went unmaintained and poorly managed. Independent bookstores were always the best, but thanks in part to Borders there's far fewer of them around anymore.

The one I loved to go to as a kid is now a Dick's Sporting Goods

B&N?

>that time when i saved up $50 in change and my mom took me to a coinstar and then to borders where i blew it all on magic treehouse books

>???
>bankruptcy

Online Retailers

I mean do you blame Amazon, or do you blame the retarded Borders management who were so focused on becoming Starbucks-for-books that they actually partnered with Amazon instead of trying to compete with them?

i used to go to borders and jerk off to erotic calendars

In the aisle? Or would you go into the bathroom?

>tfw liked Borders over Barnes & Noble and bought all my Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z mangas there at 7 years old

idk if this was a standard feature at most borders but at least mine had these like three sided wire racks in the middle of the floor in the main area before the shelves. so i'd just sit cross legged in between these racks with a calendar on the floor and one hand in my pocket and go at it.

borders was so much better than barnes and noble but i cant even say why.

>go at it
What did he mean by this?

Borders was DFW
Barnes and Noble is BEE

BEE? Yes, I'm a pleb.

do you live in colorado springs? cuz this exact same thing happened to the borders on southgate

not literature
shut up
no one cares

bret easton ellis

I only miss the flagship in Ann Arbor. That store was nice.

Borders was the shit growing up. There was one in the same mall as a stop and shop growing up, and when ever my parents were in the store I was there reaing books and manga

>do you live in Colorado Springs
Yup! Perhaps we knew each other

There was a good one near my old college. I pulled in there once on a winter bike ride and settled down like a homeless guy. I actually got my KJV Zondervan Holy Bible from there over a decade ago once it dawned on me that I should have that as a general reference text on general principles. I seem to remember making certain other important purchases at that store, over the few years.

More generally, other chain spots stocked large manga trades and I was always happy to get driven to one in my younger weeaboo days. I seem to remember also being able to get rarer Orbital CDs during these chance trips. I do have positive memories of the chain just as everything was transitioning over to the internet.

Their pseudo leatherbound classics weren't tacky compared to B&N's series.

But they had no books?

>literally who

Last time I was in Chicago I saw one. Does anyone from the Windy-city area know if it's still there?

this makes more sense than I want to admit

Used to stop by here after school to look at those star wars cross section books. Comfy 2bh.

I'm from Chicago, one closest to me closed down a little later than most of the others, but as far as I know they're all gone

I would go to Borders every friday night with my mom and she would buy me two new goosebumps books and I would finish them by monday. I can still smell the aroma of coffee and paper that assaults you when you walk through the doors

In general, I miss the bookstores that remained intact until the end of the 2000s. This has become less part of the culture here, now, with Barnes and Noble remaining as one of the only shows in town, among small bookstores.

small bookstores are the best though. maybe we have some nostalgic fondness for chains like borders but local independents are better in pretty much every way except a clean/streamlined presentation which arguably isn't even a benefit for a bookstore

New bookstores are always a bore because they more or less carry the exact same inventory (which you can just buy cheaper online). Used bookstores on the other hand may have rare, out of print items for good prices, and they are more enjoyable to browse because of the thrill of discovery

Yes. The best feeling is finding a book that you weren't looking for.

>both trash
Sounds about right

On hot summer days, I used to go to the Borders because it was airconditioned. I remember sitting on the carpeted steps upstairs, drinking the Gloria Jean's iced chocolate that I bought with the leftover gold coins I had saved up. I would read books there, until my parents came to pick me up after they were done shopping. I would beg for them to buy me a book, and sometimes they would. I still have a lot of those old kids books on my shelf, as a reminder, or maybe just for nostalgia.

rip borders

Damn. Thanks for the heads up. It was the one you can see from the train.
>Successful non-description.

no.

>book selection wasn't any better than b&n
>music was super overpriced (~$20 when other places were $15 or cheaper)
>cafe was always full of local university students, each with like ten textbooks spread out across every table

the only positive association i have with borders was when i was 14. as i made my way through the cafe area my eyes caught the eyes of a muslim woman. they were the bluest eyes i've ever seen. normally i would have looked away immediately but i kept looking her directly in the eyes until she turned away.

Relic of a time gone by.

:(

That feel

>not going to your LOBS

cucks

Wtf is a "lobs"? Sounds British or some shit.

>everyone in my extended family knew me as the kid that likes to read
>every Chhhhhanuka, I'd get a bunch of gift cards to borders
>tfw

>tfw autistic 10 yo pseud who bought a shelf full of fan fic Star Trek novels and never read a single one