Serious question fellas, how do I write a philosophical essay without sounding like a childish pseud?

Serious question fellas, how do I write a philosophical essay without sounding like a childish pseud?

Other urls found in this thread:

jimpryor.net/teaching/guidelines/writing.html
philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/files/phildept/files/brief_guide_to_writing_philosophy_paper.pdf
mit.edu/~yablo/writing.html
imgur.com/a/dOyOO
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By not giving a fuck

Don't tempt me, harlot!

By knowing what you're talking about

Keep it straightforward and stick to the point without any flowery embellishment. Don't try to impress anyone, just try to put forward a clear and strong argument. Show confidence in your position but not haughtiness or arrogance. That's about it.

i hate women!..

Avoid buzzwords.
Avoid unnecessary padding.
Avoid name-dropping.
Avoid cliches and overused tropes.
Avoid writing about things that are currently popular.
>Don't use joke titles or funny footnotes.
>Don't use endnotes.
>Don't double-space your text.
>When quoting passages in other languages, do not translate them.

>>When quoting passages in other languages, do not translate them.

What, I assume you mean self translation, if a good translation is available you should definitely use it

Nah. No translations at all.

No padding

No bullshit

You give your argument and thats it

Pseudcore
The only time you should refrain from using a translation is in the case of French quotations. Just to make fun of people who can't speak French

Don't try. Don't force it. Less is more.

Have sound arguments. If you're writing about very esoteric and meta topics where airtight argumentation isn't going to make your argument stand out, you'd better really know what you're talking about.
Read about the topic. Cite relevant works, even if you disagree with their assertions.

French, Greek, Latin shouldn't be translated for this reason. Also, if you're writing a paper for your government and your country has multiple official languages don't translate anything in an official language.

Hello Soseki

know philosophy

Make as many references as possible, how good your essay is will be completely judged based on how widely you can pull relavent examples from. From novels, poetry, theatre, painting, films, history, idioms, the more diverse set of things you can pull from the better. The big thing is that if you are a pseud you will make bad pulls and everybody will know.

Also always leave French quotations in the original, this is KEY. All non-pseuds can either speak French or can pretend like they can sufficiently.

Also you don’t *have* to be a leftist, but if you can write in a leftist idiom then all the better.

Make references to Hegel.

Start it off with a quote in untranslated Greek.

You take the problem honestly and actually think through it. If you're not good at writing you're not about to, but you can gain style by reading things. My own writing is a mix between Hegel's analytic autism and Marx's/Hegel's metaphorical phrases and allusiveness since they're what I've read most (and I like their style).

>My own writing is a mix between Hegel's analytic autism and Marx's/Hegel's metaphorical phrases and allusiveness since they're what I've read most (and I like their style).

So basically you're a childish pseud

why are there so many of these posts tonight is it because Valentine’s Day is coming up?

Only women care about valentines day

I care about Valentine's Day because woman become desperate enough to sleep with me due to overwhelming feelings of inadequacy.

no its because theyre pretty and cute and beautiful but they wouldnt care if told them that even if i really do mean it and i like them so much but they dont ever like me at all and then on a literature board i see a picture of the girl with cute little shoulders holding a book biting her lip like she likes me but she doesnt! she doesnt

Your fault for being born ugly

who is the grill?

Fully support this advice, writing anything in 2018 is a mindfield - just dont sound too autistic and im sure you will be fine though :)

Minefield* shit

sauce?

god i miss her

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME WITH THESE JEZEBELS?

1. be good at writing
2. have original ideas
3. don't be a childish pseud

New Sincerity in the preface.

Go back to your grave, Heidegger

>When quoting passages in other languages, do not translate them.
Pseud or lazy hack maneuver. Only acceptable for individual words, with a context around them such that a#nyone" understands it.

What you should do, is: Have the quote in its original language, then a translation, then a short interpretation; using that—or this (but not this).

The greatest analogy I've been given is that engaging in philosophical discourse is like entering a swank cocktail party. No one wants an asshole who crashes the affair, starts drunkenly rambling to himself in the corner.

Instead, find a small circle of people who share your interests and wait to hear what they have to say, before replying to them in a direct address. An example: Gregory Vlastos kicked off a huge debate about the inhumanity of Platonic eros. Martha Nussbaum took up Vlastos' charge, but modified it slightly. A contemporary (Frisbee Sheffield) says, "Hey, this whole debate is getting off topic!" That's when the newcomer says, "Well, perhaps there's an alternative reading that would satisfy everyone involved."

jimpryor.net/teaching/guidelines/writing.html

philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/files/phildept/files/brief_guide_to_writing_philosophy_paper.pdf

mit.edu/~yablo/writing.html

I found these helpful in school

Sof, an old camwhore.

If you don't have any academic training then just fuck off. If you do, then doubly so.

>Read Orwell's "rules for writing."
>Use simple words whenever possible.
>Avoid clichés.
>Use at least one example to support everything you say.
>Quote only when you're directly arguing for or against an author's ideas. Otherwise, leave them out of your paper.
>Use Chicago-style footnotes for citations and asides, so your reader doesn't have to flip to the appendix.
>Begin and end with your thesis statement.
>If your thesis is complex, break it down into sections and argue for each section separately.
>Introduce your idea completely before you give examples of it. Give examples before you make formal arguments.
>Shorter paragraphs tend to be better.
>Shorter sentences tend to be better.
>Don't be afraid of semicolons; they're good for connecting two brief clauses.
>Narrow your focus. A paper can only discuss so much.
John Searle is a good example of high-quality philosophy writing. He brings things down to earth without dumbing them down or losing sight of nuance.

I want to cum on her chest and on her lips and in here mouth and fuck her pussy must taste like honey lubaluba give me some!

dont call her that please she is very pretty and probably nice so dont

Like said, read jimpryor.net/teaching/guidelines/writing.html

Several of my professors in intro philosophy courses have recommended this article

technically its gods fault

imgur.com/a/dOyOO

thank me later

>imgur.com/a/dOyOO
can I thank you now?

SHE LOOKS SO CUTE AND PRETTY WHY IS SHE SO GROSS AND SLUTTY AAAAAAAAH I HATE WOMEN

The true nature of the cum slurping thot is revealed. Thank you for denying the narrative the sweet innocent nymphet

>why don't random internet women encouraged by neets like me conform to my puritanical standards of conduct
just kill yourselves now and save us the media uproar when you go on your misguided little murder spree

This.

B E G O N E T H O T
E
G
O
N
E

T
H
O
T

>les freres karamazov

is she /ourthot/?

I feel you user, even though I'm not ugly. I'm just unlikable and socially autistic. I blame my parents.

Hope user murders you

Yeah you got me. However, I'm in education and employment, but I have horrible social anxiety. Also I like femdoms

thank you

Why does Veeky Forums have the best gril pics on Veeky Forums?
Except for /a/, obviously.

Anyone else find it ironic that she is wearing a cross necklace.

>Only women care about valentines day
y-yeah t-this!

That picture made so horny were she here, I would have ripped that book out of her hands and fucked her on the spot. But when I saw your link the mystique was gone and I no longer desired her. Why am I like that? Why is the idea of a woman so much more desirable than the woman herself?

Why would it be any other way?

It seemed part of it to me.

>tfw coming up on my 22nd straight valentines day alone

Quit blaming God, you sad fuck. Take a shower, hit the weights, gain height, get a clue.

Sex is just about dominance or submission do you even read daddy Foucault?

Because it has lead to me willingly choose jerking off to videos of women than actually fucking them.

prostitutes man

Honed aesthetic sensibility

Gorgeous. May I enquire for further examples?

have /ourgirl/
you could have saved her

Read Ritual in the Dark by Colin Wilson

I honest can't tell if you're being serious or not. Makes you think.

Two Questions:

Do you have a background in philosophy, and why are you wanting to write a philosophical essay?

rip

I'm starting to get the feeling that if I want to give up jerking off, I'll have to quit this wretched site for good.

did she died?

do it user. this board does nothing for you and everything to destroy any kind of healthy development you could have. just read books and be free.

Depends on the odds of the reader knowing the language. English and German are mandatory in schools here, so sources in those two languages (and sometimes French) generally aren't translated - but sources in e.g. Japanese, isiZulu or Slovenian definitely should be.

Why would you do that? As long as its not stopping you from doing other things.

>implying they aren't all stolen pictures from Veeky Forums

I find most boards post the same pictures anyway.

is that an unwound shirt?
shit

Are soles Veeky Forums approved?
It's called selection.

idk

ok. not all the time but moments like now, seeing a woman's body, the little things that characterize a woman's body--the paleness, the smoothness, the shapeliness, every little suggestion of her inner nature--these things fill my mind and afflict me with something resembling madness

I’m just glad it’s not flooded with chink women like yours.

thank you for posting evidence that we have terrible taste too

you said it brother.... wow you said it. I think I"m going to lay down now.

;(

the ultimate aprodisaic is that of soul

Yeah, pretty much this. If you actually know your shit and understand it you won't be tempted to write bullshit in the first place, or copy the writing style of others who you think sound good but don't really get.

you're overthinking
she looked desirable in the OP picture and she looked like shit in most of the pictures in the link
like who told her that lifting one leg sideways like a pissing dog is hot

???

What's wrong with her? Might seem somewhat unattractive at first, but look how perfect the angle of her face looking downward is (eyelashes), the whiteness of her skin, that expression of boredom yet intellectual concentration...

A lot better than your pseud-tier thots. Here's another qt

I want you to feel pain for being this ugly and stupid

Foucault basically regurgitated a shitfuck of ideas (regarded as revolutionary) which he basically borrowed from the likes of Erving Goffman and Durkheim. Social psychology for pseuds

Why would I be kidding? One of the main themes is the inability to realize the sexual ideal.

might as well have

Just looks like no makeup + allergies or temporary sleep deprivation, desu

Damn Mira got old so fast

What the fuck is up with them spic genes

That looks remarkably like an ex girlfriend of mine.