Bleeding Edge

why did Pynchon include so many pop culture reference in this book? it was almost as bad as Ready Player One

You know that Pynchon unironically loved Ready Player One, right? I love the Pinecone, but the guy is past it.

Thomas Pynchon died in 2008. Inherent Vice was autocompleted by an AI using fragmented and incomplete rough drafts, and that same AI wrote Bleeding Edge from scratch.

If I’ve learned anything from the way Veeky Forums whines about Murakami all the time, it’s that any and all references are contemptible and immediately ruin a piece of writing. I guess that means Pynchon is gutter-tier

i guess the problem is that since i was in my teens in the mid-00s, i got nearly every reference in Bleeding Edge. it sorta took me out of the book

And how is that different to the early Pynchonites in the 60's, 70's or 80's? References in those days were as acute and definite as the ones in Bleeding Edge for today's youth/audience. Think historically.

Historically Murakami a hack fraud that’s how

from Britney Spears to Metal Gear Solid haha

source?

an author must write as if only he and his reader exist, and his book is the only book written

I guess I should add then, possibly the readers had in mind, were born year 2000-2090s (and beyond)...or those born in 1940s... or even in the 70s or 80s for nostalgia, impression, connection, sentiment, and refreshing memory

the multiple Pokemon and DBZ references were what threw me

All this talk is just making me want to read it. Not having to look up references in a Pynchon novel sounds like an interesting experience

ive been reading this and i have no idea what's going on

Is this your fist Pynchon novel?

The difference is that Pynch is doing it ironically

>i guess the problem is that since i was in my teens in the mid-00s
Jesus. So was I, and I didn't get a single reference. What is wrong with me?

read Ted Chiang instead

thats not a normal response for a person to have

seems like you're just projecting personal self disgust

you take these little ephemera of childhood and see them through your mist of self

so what book should I read first from the pinecone

V. And then Gravity's Rainbow

essentials:
The Crying of Lot 49 -> V. -> Gravity's Rainbow -> Mason & Dixon

if you want more:
Inherent Vice
Against the Day

Bleeding edge sucked and exposed Pynchon as a pseudo intellectual Wikipedia skimmer.

someone please post the Ready Player One excerpts. I gotta see em again. I need a laugh.

I'm finishing this book. It's nice, but I can't stop imagining Pynchon doing some Wikipedia-research with those programming-references that we find in almost every chapter.

no. he has one good story

How can you be sure?

because they are just thrown in there carelessly

Because he does everything ironically

I always saw his detective books as an exploration of the mood of the time in which they take place. Therefore it makes sense that a book taking place in the 2000s is pop-culture heavy and deals with the exploration of cyberspace.

i think that period, late 90s-2000s, and present-day as well, are a lot less vapid then commentators think it is. the characterizations of millennials in mass media feels like character assassination by bitter boomer and gen x ceos desu