What are some good e-readers? They can be chinese knock offs too

What are some good e-readers? They can be chinese knock offs too.

just read it on your phone or computer my friendo

A tablet

Just get one of the kobo's with a backlight. I still have the aura hd one from years ago, it still works great and vastly reduces eyestrain

Go to the Kobo website and choose the one that's best for you and your budget. I have a Kobo H2O and the new Aura One. Both excellent.

Kobo Glo HD is good and pretty cheap.
God-tier e-reader is the Sony DPT-RP1

I can never focus when I try to read this way

You won't do this anymore once you enjoyed e-paper for the first time.

This is what I do with my Note4. Moon+ Reader works well. Easier for me to load and transfer stuff than on a Kindle. Battery life kind of sucks for extended reading. Airplane mode helps though.

>I have a Kobo H2O and the new Aura One
which one do you recommend the most?

i want to reduce eye strain, thats priority. im never near water.

just get a kindle

why. whats wrong with kobo?

also besides reducing eye strain i want a big screen and the capacity of upload whatever file i want and not be bothered by cloud shit or nonsense like that. i wont be downloading shit, i have a huge pdf collection i want to read, thats all.

PDFs won't work well on most e-readers. Make sure you get one with a big enough screen or it will be all but useless, even if it can technically support the file format

>good
>knockoffs
No, they can't be. Literally pick ONE (1).

lego knockoffs are exactly the same but much cheaper. knockoffs can be good.

Spotted the Duplo kid. Go play with your retard blocks with the other autists whose parents are worried about them swallowing the pieces

Why are waterproof e-readers a thing?

unironically a paperwhite or better kindle model. I for one am lusting after the waterproof oasis. Might be a birthday present for myself this year.

Icarus Illumina HD
Kobo fucking sucks ass.

>Kobo fucking sucks ass.
whats so bad

The microusb port unseated itself from the board once it was out of warranty, making it impossible to charge.
The build quality on those things is exceptionally horrible.
The Illumina HD isn't a perfect device, but it's a lot better than what you'd be getting by going with a Kobo.

Aura One (if price isn't a concern). Great display quality and besides the backlight you can change the colour of the backlight (more orange for reading at night) to reduce eye-strain.

>Icarus Illumina HD
saw a video on youtube, comparing it to a kindle. it fucking sucks, its so dim even at max brightness, letters are pale, software takes ages, its a piece of shit, why cant anyone give proper advice and not their buyers remorse "but, hey, i like it" devices?

>saw a video on youtube
>its so dim
Blow your fucking brains out, Kobo shill.

Ever got spilled a drink over your e-reader? It's pretty great to be able to properly wash off the sticky stuff.

Using my Kobo everyday, got it with me everytime I'm travelling, never had any problems with build quality. So maybe it's an issue with the production batch?

kobo or kindle?

Kobo. Everytime. Much more flexible.

will the aura (old one) be sufficient?

So you can read in the bath

Don't own it myself. So I can't say anything about it from a hardware perspective.
But go for it if you want to be able to configure line spacing, letter thickness, margin size, even install your own fonts. (And you can read a lot of different formats.)

My Kobo Glo HD can do this as well

Yeah, I'd guess every Kobo can do this. My point was using a Kobo in general because of the configurability.

im getting the kobo, ty.

My Kobo Aura H2O is pretty much all I ever wanted from a reader but only after firmware upgrades, installing additional software, and writing my own Python scripts to keep the database in order lol.

So what tweaks did you make?

I have a Kobo H20 and a Kindle Paperwhite. The Kindle is so much better out of the box. Better fonts, more convenient size, minimal interface etc. Only problem is that you have to convert epubs to mobi but that takes seconds. If you disable the home screen you don't get spammed with Amazon recommendations, which you can't do on Kobo without using something like koreader

Collections show a higher number of books than are actually present whenever I upload new books to Kobo with Calibre (I convert everything to .kepub format) but then change the filenames on the device before unplugging it (I cannot for the life of me persuade Calibre to export the books with the exact filename structure that I want). If this happens you have to remove superfluous books from Kobo's database, which is best done programmatically of course.

How much can you configure on the paperwhite compared to the Kobo (font settings and general settings)?
I guess you could just install the fonts the paperwhite comes with on the Kobo. Or does it have some licensed stuff?

They're pretty much identical in that regard. Although with Kobo I end up with a massive gap at the bottom of the page no matter what for some reason. I haven't tried installing Amazon's fonts on Kobo because I don't need to

Kindle is better for metadata. When I put my own covers on books with calibre they show up much better on Kindle. Sometimes Kobo doesn't show them at all.

Hey I just got a Kindle, I am loving it so far, very easy to read stuff outside/on the train.

Does anyone have any good sites to download ebooks?

I was going to start buying all my ebooks, but I want to try the Dresden Files and Storm Front was $5 on Amazon. Then when I looked again the next day, it was changed to $12. Yeah no thanks amazon

Read the sticky

I'm dumb and thank you