Why is this trash still mandatory reading in the public education system?

Why is this trash still mandatory reading in the public education system?

>He doesn't appreciate beautiful prose about Oklahoma
Kys

It's not, america's public education is such a fucking mess because of muh states rights that there's not even a uniform concept of "mandatory reading".

>2D characters going through comically unrealistic scenarios, making a Christ figure out of a union organizer, and hokey dialogue is beautiful prose about Oklahoma

>Unrealistic
Lol do you know nothing about history?

Also,

The people came out of their houses and smelled the hot stinging air and covered their noses from it. And the children came out of the houses, but they did not run or shout as they would have done after a rain. Men stood by their fences and looked at the ruined corn, drying fast now, only a little green showing through the film of dust. The men were silent and they did not move often. And the women came out of the houses to stand beside their men—to feel whether this time the men would break. The women studied the men's faces secretly, for the corn could go, as long as something else remained. The children stood near by, drawing figures in the dust with bare toes, and the children sent exploring senses out to see whether men and women would break the children peeked at the faces of the men and women, and then drew careful lines in the dust with their toes. Horses came to the watering troughs and nuzzled the water to clear the surface dust. After a while the faces of the watching men lost their bemused perplexity and became hard and angry and resistant. Then the women knew that they were safe and that there was no break. Then they asked, What'll we do? And the men replied, I don't know. But it was all right. The women knew it was all right, and the Watching children knew it was all right. Women and children knew deep in themselves That no misfortune was too great to bear if their men were whole. The women went into the houses to their work, and the children began to play, but cautiously at first. As the Day went forward the sun became less red. It flared down on the dust-blanketed land The men sat in the doorways of their houses; their hands were busy with sticks and Little rocks. The men sat still—thinking—figuring.

Beautiful prose.

>Lol do you know nothing about history?
Yeah half your family will drop dead on the week long drive from Oklahoma to California - seems legit.

It isn't, but it should be.

its meant to turn young inquiring minds away from wanting to ever reading fiction novels

federated republics are strongest republics

I'd take that any day over a republic like paris and friends, or london+

How about just read it and stop bitching, it can't be that bad.

Lazyass dolt.

That may be true, but it's hard to argue that lack of cooperation between states in standardizing things like education is harming the country.

yeah haha lets kick out the last book written by a white man in high school curricula because a college student thinks it's too easy! 9th graders, truly, must have nothing to gain from it, especially not empathy for the retarded.

>yeah haha lets kick out the last book written by a white man in high school curricula

Imagine being this delusional. Books I remember studying during my time at (public) high school:
>Gatsby
>Cannery Row
>T.S. Elliot's Poetry
>The Old Man and the Sea
>Crime and Punishment
>Othello
>Heart of Darkness
>Things Fall Apart
>Pride and Prejudice
>Invisible Man
>The Sound and the Furry
>All Quiet on the Western Front

Of those, only TWO (Invisible Man and Pride and Prejudice) weren't written by white men.

It doesn't make much of a difference, but it does legitimately bother me that you mentioned Things Fall Apart but neglected to mention it as one of the books not written by a white man.

Mainly on acccount of commie pedagogues

>my experience is good evidence of a general proposition

I still don't understand education.

Things Fall Apart is by an African man, Pride and Prejudice is by a British woman, and Invisible Man is by an African-American man. I think his point is that the vast majority of the recognized English cannon (admittedly using this definition excludes All Quiet and to a lesser extent Crime and Punishment) is still by white male authors, largely because they've been contributing the most and the for the longest period of time.

American teachers can get uninterested kids to read 479 pages of steinbeck?

Diluted corncobbery. Didactic pathos, barely restrained to seem low-key. Halfway between Faulkner and McCarthy, worse than either. A favourite between the ages of 12-16.

This, even the handful of edgy liberals who write articles once a year about "killing the canon" mostly teach white male authors simply because they've written the bulk of modern literary fiction

>current year
>reading

Get out, commie.

>there's not even a uniform concept of "mandatory reading".
There shouldn't be. Nor should there be mandatory education of any kind, not even literacy.

That scene of black dudes raping a little girl was too much desu

Or helping the country, depending on your perspective. You're assuming that the states with better education would bring the worse states up to their standards but it could very well end up with the stupid states pulling the smarter ones down.
Federations allow the retarded be retarded but they also prevent the retarded from preventing the smart to be smart.

>OP calls a famous novel trash
>doesn't even make a case for his opinion

What an utter waste of a thread.

It's a revisionist historical novel that is anti-capitalism. Why do (((you))) think?

GTFO Eurotrash.
Can't handle the glory of the great American novel.