Want 2 better my SPANISH what are some good spanish AUTHORs that rival english ones???

want 2 better my SPANISH what are some good spanish AUTHORs that rival english ones???

"that rival english ones???"
I don't even know how to adress this.

Cervantes shits on everyone

Read up bitch

Whose the girl?

My favorite book is "100 años de soledad" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I don't know if it's the best book for improving your spanish because it's hard to understand. But it's just my opinion.

Isabela Moner

Why do you say that?

I’m honestly interested. I tried to read Cervantes three times already, but never make past some 50 or 60 pages. He’s prose just seems too crude and primitive to me. Some user posted a Borges essay where he says that Cervantes prose is not what is good in his work, and I honestly have to agree with him.

Yet I know that I am missing something, for several great minds over the centuries have covered the Spanish author with the highest praises.

So tell me: what is it that makes Cervantes so great in your eyes?

I have tried to read him in Portuguese, in a translation that I compared to the original Spanish and it was almost like the original, so similar are the two languages. However his prose seems to me very archaic, the sort of thing that a rural professor with some knowledge of Latin and the Bible, writing with a country dialect, would produce. I’m always astonished to see how rich, exuberant and cosmopolitan was Shakespeare’s handle of his own language - what is especially relevant in this case, since both writers were contemporaries.

I want to like Cervantes, but I don’t know how to do it.

moar

>Isabela Moner
>16
Omg I want to lick her bootyhole

She has really nice breasts, . . they have a nice shape, and you can tell they're not too droopy or anything, and she probably has nice nips.

>Saying "bootyhole" (ironically or otherwise)
K I L L Y O U R S E L F

Why the fuck does she look like she's from 2007 in pic related?

Also this

Woops. . .

Why the fuck does she look like she's from 2007 in pic related?

Borges is probably one of the favorite authors of all time
The Museum of Eterna's Novel is also really good, haven't read any of Macedonio's other works (does he have other works?)

Yo, leed mi diario desu

>millie posting
>isabella posting

I want /tv/ to go. Veeky Forums isn't your colony

cool it. she's only 16

I'm gonna be honest user, it very much depends on your level of understanding of the spanish language. The acme of spanish literature is, in my opinion, 100 years of solitude by Gabriel García Marquez. However, spanish is my mother language and it still was kinda hard to follow. If you do decide to give it a go, however, keep the Buendía's family tree on hand, and don´t stop to try and make sense of everything in the moment. It will make sense over time. Best ending to a book ever tho.

>The acme of spanish literature is, in my opinion, 100 years of solitude by Gabriel García Marquez.

Same here. Even better than Quixote.

I would never thought that Gabo could do that; still don't know how he did it - he dosen't seem to have that kind of capacity.

Colombian =/= Spanish

also, Oprah liked it so how good could it be, really?

Shes Incan

Puta madre, yo ni he leido mucho de espanol hace un rato.

that is exactly my opinión (im from spain).

if you doubt here about the "quality" of cervantes they say you dont know a shit.
(its not like Veeky Forums is different anyway)

i like this
>I’m always astonished to see how rich, exuberant and cosmopolitan was Shakespeare’s handle of his own language

cervantes is not too imaginative with words. i dont know how someone with that handicap can have some kind of genius status in literature.

JIIIIZZZZZZAAAABEEEEEEELLLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS on my THINKING MAN'S BOARD

None. They're all above anglos

100 años de soledad it's the most fucking over-rated book i've ever tried to read. i started reading it like 5 times and i always gave up around the 40-50 page's mark.
Marquez is fine, i really enjoy some of his short stories, but whenever someone says that he's the greatest latin american/spanish speaking writer i fucking sigh.

>So tell me: what is it that makes Cervantes so great in your eyes?

I'm also interested on this. Can some Cervantes admirer answear this question.

I,too, want to love the knight of the lonely figure, but holy crap it's hard. Mainly because of this:

>his prose seems to me very archaic, the sort of thing that a rural professor with some knowledge of Latin and the Bible, writing with a country dialect, would produce.

and this:

>cervantes is not too imaginative with words. i dont know how someone with that handicap can have some kind of genius status in literature.

Cervantes, Rulfo, Calderon de la Barca and San Juan de la Cruz and that's it. Then you have stuff like Garcia Marquez, Vargas Llosa, Neruda, Octavio Paz, etc. which are all quality but clearly a level below and not on par with the best english writers. Personally I don't like Borges, but most people seem to love him, so give him a try as well.

>good spanish AUTHORs that rival english ones???
just... what?

What's wrong with that sentence?

just found my new waifu

mi diario desu

>Mario Vargas Llosa
It might be spanish literature, but he doesn't deserve to hold a place in a list along with Borges, Bolaño, Rulfo, Marquez and the others.
I'd put him at the level of Perez Reverte or Sánchez Dragó.

Tbh the spaniards are good at poetry.
Read up Poeta en Nueva York by García Lorca or some Góngora crap.

Quixote or bust, fag

what the fuck?

Why? Age of consent is 16 where I live.

Canada

Imagine being from Canada.

Because she looks like a young Vanessa Hudgens. Shit's uncanny.

Such a qt

Maybe try googling Isabella Jones, her acual name, instead of Jones, Isabella. Google isn't a government database, lol.

Cervantes and the other Golden Age authors: Lope de Vega, Gongora, Tirso de Molina, etc. Honestly throw a rock in that direction, you'll hit a great one. Start anywhere.

Personal favs for poetry are García Lorca and Rubén Darío desu

This. Why is Cervantes so praised?

Move to a spanish speaking nation.

Ima bout'a be servin' sixteen ifyaknowot'Isayin'.

On topic, if OP wants to better his/her Spanish s/he should probably stick to contemporary authors. Wait a while before attempting Cervantes or you'll ruin it for yourself.

Because he is meta and he was the first one to do it. It was one of the first books that dealt with the influence of fiction in our daily lives and also deconstructed, how we as ppl construct the world around us.

you're a big board

Have no idea what they’re talking about. Other than the weird capitalization of “authors,” there’s nothing even remotely confusing ablution OP’s post.

You're comparing a poet with the first novelist in the history of mankind. Cervantes himself is not sucha a great writer, apart from Don Quijote the rest of his work is mediocre.

Also, Don Quijote is a satire and is intended to be funny so it's not going to be comsopolitan and rich like a Shakespeare play.

If you want something like Shakespeare read Calderon de la Barca's "La vida es sueño".

Short stories by Cortázar and especially Quiroga