Why is Latin+Hellenic mythology the go-to for western mythological references?

Why is Latin+Hellenic mythology the go-to for western mythological references?

Why not Slavic, Germanic, or Celtic, especially in their homelands?

Other urls found in this thread:

sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because we know much more about Greek and Roman mythology. Because it was the mythology of the cultures which had the biggest impact on Europe. No one knows hardly anything about Celtic mythology, or Slavic. Germanic is cool but Christianity kind of put people off it.

Are you retarded?

Most western fantasy is explicit Tolkein inspired who stole all of his mythology from Germanic and Celtic folklore.

>what are King Arthur stories
>what is Beowulf

That's like asking
>Why is Latin+Greek the go-to languages for literate Europeans?

Somewhat unrelated, but when did Germans start replacing most of their Greco-Latin scientific and technical terms with German translations?

Slavic mythology is awesome, but nobody ever thought of writing it down so the only thing we have are scraps from Byzantine writers and folk legends written down in the 17-18th century.
That's why Slavic mythology is often so comfy, since the important affairs were left over to the Catholic Church, what remained retreated into the folklore and became various genies, nature spirits, wandering old ladies, watermen, living rocks, etc...
Germanic mythology has been overused and killed by edgy 13yo metaheads
Celtic mythology is so similar to the Roman pantheon, they had no major problems merging it.

In general everything from Spain to Anatolia worshiped a pantheon derived from the original proto indo-european one, so there aren't any striking differences.

It was the first written down

Medieval Norsemen were so jelly they tried to claim the Aesir were from Troy

Don't forget Finland

that seems more understanding, i know that Celts and Germans didn't write down their religious teachings, and so we don't know as much as we could. otherwise, why not more on the one's we do know?

this is true. i may not be giving credit to the ones we do have referance to, elves, dwarves, trolls/ettens, and the like. Tolkien really did define fantasy for a while.

thankfully present, but not celebrated to the extent of the Olympian Gods id imagine.

>>Why is Latin+Greek the go-to languages for literate Europeans?
its not though

>Slavic mythology is awesome, but nobody ever thought of writing it down so the only thing we have are scraps from Byzantine writers and folk legends written down in the 17-18th century.
>That's why Slavic mythology is often so comfy, since the important affairs were left over to the Catholic Church, what remained retreated into the folklore and became various genies, nature spirits, wandering old ladies, watermen, living rocks, etc...
thankfully doesnt the Witcher series take from Slavic mythos? its fucking sick.
>Germanic mythology has been overused and killed by edgy 13yo metaheads
sadly, yes
>Celtic mythology is so similar to the Roman pantheon, they had no major problems merging it.
all of them stem from a common Proto-Inod-European religion, we think. theres shared traits throughout.

Tolkien's elvish language was based on Finnish i think

Eh, witcher doesn't really have Slavic anything aside from the odd name

Although I think that the more germanic mythologies probably do come up more than we think, my answer to your question is they simply wrote more of their shit down compared to other societies who barely wrote anything at all

Germanic is massive
much bigger than Roman, though not Greek.

>Why is Latin+Hellenic mythology the go-to for western mythological references?
it's not
>Slavic, Germanic, or Celtic, especially in their homelands?
it is

>le i dont know anything about celtic mythology so its all been destroyed meme
dunno about other celts but irish mythology is very commonly known of in ireland and very well preserved. its just greco romans have prestige and anglos being germanic would look to germanic mythology if they wanted to learn about their past.

It sure does, loads of the monsters and tales come from Slavic folklore.

Slavic stuff in particular tends to be limited to Slavic language sources

Even in academic writings, there are comparably few English translations of Slav stuff because everyone who would focus on Slavic myth and folklore is already fluent in Slavic languages

BECause the celts didn't write their shit down.

I have a book that explores celtic myth and uises it to explain celtic history-their myth and actual history were woven into the same stories-as wel as the themes that generlaly repeat.

It's interesting stuff, and more is used than you'd think.

What little I Know of celtic myth shows major variation form roman.

Things like the spirit world being a place you could pass into, for one. As in simply walk in unknowing.

The witcher is a franksteing of german, latin, slavic, and english shit.

And that's just the little bit I bothered to pay any attention to.

>otherwise, why not more on the one's we do know?
and which ones are those? Probably the most well known after Roman/Greek is germanic mythology but most of what we know about that even comes from Roman/Greek sources.

because Zeus cuck the others while Odin get Cucked

>He didn't learn about Wodan and Donar in primary school

Yes. Since the Germanics practiced ostensibly the same religion (but they were so decentralized it was a spectrum essentially, but the core shit is all the same), doesnt that mean that the goths, suebi, and franks had Germanic religion to inform their culture before they were christianized? Which is why "the West" is so different from the weird Slavic/finnic/nomad shit that formed the underpinnings of eastern Europe? Both got a dose of Christianity tho.

Slavic mythology is practically identical to Germanic mythology just with different names.

Theres a game called THEA the awakening which is based of slavic mythology and is actually pretty fun

Their shamanic tradition is wayyy different though. Most pagan pantheons were really just derivitive PIE gods, Greeks included. Unless you have Slavic gods hanging from a tree, having dwarves craft weapons for them, or shapeshifting into mares, I would hardly call it the same religion.

>shamanic tradition

The fuck are you talking about?

because the myths which aren't stories with moral meaning have a mystical/occult meaning which can't be deciphered or isn't relevant to 99% of people. In contrast the psychological meaning behind greek and roman myths are relatable to everyone and easy to decipher.

Manu, the progenitor of mankind, was also the very first king to rule this earth. the Hindu Manu is known in Germanic mythology as Mannus. For Germanic people, Mannus was the progenitor of the three first Germanic tribes. It is tempting to see a link with the three main paternal lineages found in Germanic people : haplogroups I1, R1a and R1b.

>Their shamanic tradition
there isn't any in neither. of course they did sometimes borrow things from their shamanistic neighbors like sami or hanti since polytheistic pagans were open minded about other peoples beliefs because they actually already believed in other people's deities, just didn't worship them. but they weren't their culture's indigenous traditions.

prove it

in the publics eyes it isnt common

i think it's up to you to prove that there were any indigenous shamanism or even it's remnants in any indo-european culture. there isn't any evidence to suggest something like that ever existed in europe's agricultural societies.

but you made a claim not me, I just asked you to prove it

there is absolutely no reason to presume otherwise. you could just as well ask someone to prove that aliens didn't build pyramids.

Slavs, Germanics and Celts weren't so concerned with written records. Most of the oldest written pieces on their mythology were done in Latin script. And the writers often had Christianity goggles on, so an actual believer might've recounted some bits differently.

Where can I learn about slavic/germanic/celtic mythology?
No one provides resources, while Greek/Roman mythology is practically everywhere.

As others have already mentioned, most of the sources on Slavic mythology are in Slavic languages.

There's a bunch of very interesting articles on Slavic mythology in all sorts of languages here: sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html, if anyone wants to check them out. There's even some in English.