How's that novel coming along, Veeky Forums?

How's that novel coming along, Veeky Forums?

You're not tapirbro

The best I can hope is starting a shitty novella and keep trying for good short stories

I've written two fantasy novels out of a planned five book series. I don't have an agent yet so I am reluctant to write the third.

I think instead I will write a more realistic novel, something biting and satirical.

It's finished

I don't know what to do now. I finished it in March last year and have been severely depressed since then. Do I go to a writing group? Do I find an editor? Do I self publish and start working on my social media game and create a writer website?

Being a shutin writer for 5 years was a lot easier than this RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

post excerpt

I literally don't know how to start it.
I have all the ideas in my head, and the entire plot structure I literally don't know how to put it on paper.

Almost done my second. Planning a third in my mind already.

write another one

>i don't know
feel bad for you user

Just let it be shit to start and fix it as you go

it would be out of context

Why? Endless writing for itself is moronic. I need to see this to completion instead of perpetually writing. I need to know if I suck. I do have an outline for a second one but I need to see the first one through with actual criticism and editing.

Enjoy your perpetual stalling and procrastination then.

>Endless writing for itself is moronic.
except for how you apparently get severely depressed when you don't write

but yeah, pay a freelance editor to look at it for you, do rewrites, then submit it to publishers or just self publish, then move on

I am not creative anymore. It is a literal mental block. I used to write haikus and have ongoing actual letter writing correspondence with a friend. That has stopped. I have a backlog of reading and music that I haven't touched. Everything is just noise and symbols I don't care for.
Where do I find one, preferably IRL? I live in a college town but everyone I know only want to look at academic technical writing.

Just hit 2k words. Going to start pumping out more, now that I know what the stories going to be.

>you eat the kraut, you get blown the fuck out

I've finished it. I was working on it for a year and my views changed drastically during that time. Now when I am re-reading it, the text appears rather dull, flawed. I mean, it is still kind of appealing, but I have so much more to say than this, I could have made it so much more packed and pretty.

I am going to write my next work to be more complex, engaging, deeper. This one though, sometimes I doubt it is even worthy of publishing. Still gonna show it to the world because I might be to critical on myself, as well as I don't want to just throw that much work away.

fine, im just starting my first serious attempt. going to set a daily work or time limit.

Its about a first mate on an oil tanker. the captain is a crazy alcoholic and steers them into a storm which they barely survive. following this they fine a wrecked ship from a distress call and go to rescue the crew. they pull a man from the water and he describes to them that their boat was attacked by a giant sea monster. the crew is spooked and the first mate tries to convince the captain to return to port because another storm is coming. captain refuses and they run through the storm and get attacked by the sea monster. The first mate narrowly avoids dying, and in a fit of rage kills the captain, then blows up the oil tanker killing the monster and escapes into the water. coast guard find him and he tells them the ship went down in the storm and that there were no survivors.

I suppose it will take me six months to write, but it will be a good exercise and a good start. I don't really think it will get published. I may self publish it, but I want the experience of writing. From there I will write more and work on flushing out ideas with more and more subplots and themes. I wanted to start with a small world to work on character development and plot first before biting off more than I could chew and getting stuck.

>Do I go to a writing group?
May as well, sounds like you’ve got nothing else going on.
>Do I find an editor
Why haven’t you already?
>Do I self publish
Really depends on what your work is. There are only certain lucrative self-pub genres
>and start working on my social media game and create a writer website?
Yeah, do both of those. I’d suggest making some of your shorter work available, so that you can try and draw in interested readers. Don’t be afraid to shill your stuff, either. We bitch about shills incessantly but how the fuck else do you expect people to discover your work?

it’s gettin published in late May. The head of the publishing house said i’ll have to travel across the country doing presentations at bookstores. I’m scared as hell

Yeah mine is out end of may aswell. Not going to any bookstores though, my editor wants to do a weird advertising campaign so whatever.

What sort of writing is it? I do an amount of freelance editing for general and genre fiction.

I wrote out of sequence because I thought I had an idea, have roughly 40,000 words of rambling about adventures which could be tightened into plot development but have no end in sight and no real beginning. So all in all, not well.

Alright, here’s where I’m at. I’ve got the whole thing written and I’ve split it up into 7 sections. 4 of those sections are great. They’re where I say what I want to say and I really do think they’ll stand up to criticism.
The other 3 pieces are interconnectors. Getting the story from 1 important scene to the next. And they’re terrible. Dull monoutanous pieces with nothing to say other than that we are going from X to Y. I’ve rewritten them dozens of times to no avail. I’ve tried adding in a secondary plot there, but it just doesn’t mesh with succinct, clear cut story I’m going for. But leaving these transitions out makes the story feel stilted. It’s driving me insane.

I have elaborate shilling ideas with interactive webcomic sort of thing but that is beyond me at this point. I have neither the expertise nor the energy to make easter egg things.

at the moment very raw. I need to do my own line editing and fix a couple of continuity issues as well as specific research for a few things that I have just put placeholders for. It's in two parts at the moment and I have put off a small epilogue until I get everything lined up.

Slow but steady. About 1000 words a day. Should be around 70k-80k at the end

writing a catalog of short stories and poems

You don’t have to go over the top when it comes to advertising. Big, elaborate advertising campaigns are the domain of companies and celebrities. A nice, simple, inviting website and a few euro/bucks thrown at a graphic designer and you’re set.

I'm not writing a novel. My screenplay, however, is coming along fairly well. I've written about an hour worth of material so far and I'm taking a break to refresh myself.
Though I am nervous I might not make it to 90 pages. My problem has always been writing too little.

sounds doable. Would it be important to know how google analytics work?

Can’t hurt, really. I’d also look at material on how Amazon and Facebook works.

Trying to get my friend to edit it, but he's being a stinky linky. I'm even paying him.

I finally managed to complete the gang rape scene at the end so it’s going pretty good.

*their advertising systems, that is.

Never hire friends or family for work. Especially when it comes to subjective stuff like writing. Go looking for someone else online.

It's coming along ok. I'm busy with work and school though so I don't have much time to write, and when I'm home I am usually just playing video games or something.

13,000 words into the first draft of my first book

Having a lot of fun writing it so far

So slow-going. I have been losing my writing mood quicker and quicker lately. As well, my attempts at sobriety over the past six months have put a damper on my creativity and drive.

I wrote the first few sentences of this novel almost eight years ago and have been abandoning and returning to it with a stronger belief in it each time. I have witnessed myself grow as a writer but I'm extremely sporadic and undisciplined in the act of writing and rewriting.

The first draft of the first of three parts was completed just two months ago. The beginning and end of the other two parts are known and developed, but each part is not yet a coherent and united piece.

The whole process has been a struggle but every time I step back and look at what I've created so far, I feel extremely proud of myself, even though I know I have so much more work to do and so much more to grow.