i wish i could read latin
at least greek is coming along

THATS KINda sexy

>the year of our Lord two thousand and eighteen
>not OCT or Teubner
Pleb alert

>Teubner

But I'm not German

Neither am I. Teubners have the original Latin or Greek text with a critical apparatus.

Is it true that these have cheap bindings?

Not sure about this line in particular but I just bought a couple of Oxford 'hardbacks' that are basically cheap, glued-together paperbacks with a hard cover:(

This makes me sad.

The new green ones are well bound, but the older ones that are blue with a green dust jacket are pretty poorly bound, yes.

My favorite used bookstore got a huge (I think ~100 volumes) loeb delivery about a year ago from some grad student or something. Basically unread, like new, custom wrapped dust jackets, ribbons added to every volume. Nearly shit myself. Ended up getting Plutarch's moralia in 15 vols for I think $180, along with statius, valerius maximus, minor virgil works, pindar fragments, lucan, lucretius, younger pliny.

Didn't have enough money to pick up the complete Livy set for like $180.

My God!
A rare treasure indeed.

Best I've ever done was a lone volume of Plato in perfect condition for 20$.

In Australia those books are like $50 each new

on book depository at the moment they're all between $15 and $40

Damn, that's awesome

>tfw half the bookcase looks like greek to me

How do I go about learning ancient greek?

You basically have to study it for at least an hour a day for a couple of years.

Is this something you interested in?

I was just curious as to how someone would go about it today.

Take classes. I knew a guy who picked it up in his forties by going to the local university.

A lot of memorization is involved.
Even a proper name like Socrates changes depending on what it's doing in a sentence.

Question for my good anons:

What does a class do for learning Ancient Greek that self-study does not?

In class, you'll have a teacher and peers to turn to should you reach some sort of impass.

A good teacher will help you with pronunciation. Learning proper pronunciation from a book is much more difficult.

Classes offer you a structured environment. Some people require this sort of order imposed from without to succeed.