This fucking guy... what a terrible person

This fucking guy... what a terrible person.

Every one of their videos involves purposely misinterpreting writers and using oversimplified conclusions to push their agenda.

The video on Nietzsche is just inaccurate youtube.com/watch?v=wHWbZmg2hzU

I can just imagine some fucker watching that and thinking he now understands his works.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
i.imgur.com/qzuCpZs.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=e-WCz951EBc
reddit.com/r/philosophy/comments/3c2dg9/a_critical_commentary_on_the_school_of_lifes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Literally just the Leftist version of Peterson

They make us watch these in my phil courses.

It's sad that for thousands of kids this is the only portal they have into philosophy.

>reads Wikipedia of philosopher
>creates line of thinking
>philosopher
>human
>human desire
>human desire to be dominated sexually
>so just like let someone spit on you if you love them
>posts video

>school of life is up there with david attenborough

hahahahhahahahahhaha

He's generally accurate in his readings even if they're all calibrated towards his personal cult.
I wouldn't use them but you could do worse if you're dealing with total greenhorn normies

Here's an experiment.

Go listen to a video, don't watch it, just ignore the production and listen to it. Write down the main points.

wowitsfuckingnothing.png

His Hegel video was an embarassment to the notion of research in general and made me furious for about three hours; 800,000+ idiots tuned into the desecration of a prophets legacy
Alan the Bottom is the only man I have wished physical harm onto
If I was lucky enough to meet him in person I would clasp his flimsy shoulders firmly and breath angry I want him to know what he did to me

NO NO NO FUCK NO ITS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT I NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THSI IM THE ONLY WHO CAN I NEED TO PROTECT HEGEL

I started watching him like last year and didn't carry on very long. If there was ever a feels>reals with production value, it would be Alain

I genuinely think people like you react like this because your own understanding is so weak that a four minute infograph actually brings people to your level

>doesn't know the first or second thing about Hegel
>hasn't seen Alan's video on him
Not the user but I just watched the video and it's literally the wiki for dialectic turned into pop phil self help, he didn't even mention Spirit or Negation or mutual self-consciousness; that wasn't a video about Hegel

Sure whatever, my point is why give a shit? Its trough for the pigs

>pop phil self help
all his videos that I've seen (again because they make us watch them in phil courses) seem to fit that description. He turns everything into self-help. I think that's why he's so popular.

>why give a shit?
Why give a shit about literature or history? Fool

>Dionysian
>hates alcohol
Was Nietzsche the School Of Life of his time? Seriously, this is really embarrassing. How can anyone this stupid be a philosopher? I mean, his philosophy is basically shit anyways, but having this contradiction on top of the others...
SAD!

>Dionysian
You do not understand Nietzsche's specialized use of that term. For an extended explanation see Walter Kaufmann's "Nietzsche: Philospher, Psychologist, Antichrist"

Because those things actually matter.
Functional illiterates flicking through Facebook getting a wrong idea about Hegel is of no consequence

>Functional illiterates flicking through Facebook getting a wrong idea about Hegel is of no consequence
They use these in college to. I've had professors introduce philosopher's by showing us this guy's videos. This wasn't a one time thing.

Give me the cliffs bruh

You do not deserve an explanation, but since I am generous: In his later writing (Birth of Tragedy is a different story), Dionysian basically = a fusion of Apollonian and Dionysian. When he says Dionysian he's talking about an "exalted" form that's a fusion of both ways of being. That's a simple version.

You don't understand what philosophy is, or was.

Dude get off your fucking high horse.

Two different posters

What's so complex about it? It's controlled frenzy, he hates over-rationalisation, yet subsumes Dionysus to over-rationalisation - all with a strange fallacy at its core. He's just a sober fool who can't hold his liquor.

He believes both the Dionysian and the Apollonisian are profound/sublime and he does not want to commit to one at the expense of the other. Also Apollonisian =! only rationalization.

In any case, he both couldn't drink alcohol for medical reasons, and he considered the drinking culture of Germany vulgar so he wouldn't want to be associated with it.

I've a degree in philsophy you retard. I'm just not a touchey little pimp who cares what depressed office workers fill their four minute timeslots with

The problem there is the shitty college

>College is shitty
>Therefore nothing else is also shitty
These things aren't mutually exclusive you contrarian faggot

Sounds like sour grapes.

>It's sad that for thousands of kids this is the only portal they have into philosophy.
>It's sad
But the average kid is wiser than the average academic philosopher.

If grapes could be retarded you would be retarded grapes.

define average

I'd really like to hear you explain this one.

Punny!

Did I ever say the videos aren't shitty?
I'm saying get your fucking priorities straight

lol true bro those fucking leftists don't even clean their rooms

You're actually awful at explaining things.

My priorities are straight. I know what I believe and I stand by it. I wholeheartedly believe in limited forms of censorship. I believe that that guy should be censored from college campuses because he dumbs them down. Just because my priorities aren't your priorities doesn't mean my priorities aren't "straight".

>>I've a degree in philsophy you retard.
>"philosophy doesn't matter"
>spends thousands for a degree in it
Who's the real retard here?

You're actually right, but I can't escape the feeling that you're a retard

Ok.

The Bottom is just the tip of the Jew iceberg. Our priorities are the same I just think he's beneight your attention

>t.16 year old

I mean common.

>I'd really like to hear you explain this one.
Kids don't try to explain things and don't imagine they understand things, and they listen to their elders. Also, the average academic philosopher is a mere historian of mummified ideas; he is not a contemplative of Ideas in the Platonic sense.

Good point, even if you're being facetious.

i have a degree in physics i couldn't give a fuck if the average person has no idea about subatomic particles but wants to watch some silly youtube video talking about the higgs boson

what matters is that they care about learning instead. much better than most kids today that listen to hip hop and go outside to act like apes.

so being ignorant is wise?

>they listen to their elders
What alternate universe do you live in? Must be pretty nice. In our universe rebellion against parents/authority has been normalized by culture and on television. Perhaps they don't have television in your universe. It's difficult to explain. It's like this magic box with pictures on it.

>6 minute format to teach you about a philosopher and all of his works
this is the problem with "quick" learning, sumaries, etc. the same fucking faggots using sparknotes in college instead of reading the book. channels like this promote mental retardation.
>hurr quick and easy Nietzsche! only 5 minutes and u learn who he is!! wow that's convenient!
convenience and serious study don't go together

But you would care if they completely misexplained the subject of physics they covered and spread disinformation to people who will never know any better, but will think they do. That's the point, I get the feeling you're lying anyway

>That's the point, I get the feeling you're lying anyway

This is your brain on self teaching

This is one of the worse threads I've ever seen on this board. Literally youtube comment level discourse by people I can only hope are underage

>so being ignorant is wise?
Indeed, read Plato.

By kids I was thinking more 6 year olds than 16.

>By kids I was thinking more 6 year olds than 16.
I see. However, it's not unusual for kids like that to be snot nosed brats these days. Most parents are very weak.

inaccurate physics might lead to some misconceptions, that's not the end of the world. misconceptions are everywhere anyway. the problem with school of life is that their inaccuracies are used to create propaganda. that's not your argument though, your argument is that somehow knowledge should be both complete and accurate in all fields otherwise you're an idiot. nice you sure are someone we should all look up to.

Scientist: "science is important!"
Philosophy student: "everyone should learn philosophy!"
Programmer: "we should teach every kid how to code!"

Fuck outta here nothing is important just learn whatever you're interested in.

Being a good person is important you fucking pseuds.

>your argument is that somehow knowledge should be both complete and accurate in all fields otherwise you're an idiot.
Literally what are you on about. It must be odd to live with those kind erratic leaps on straw

>Dude just do whatever Xd

Kill yourself mightily

>this whole discussion
Dunning-Kruger effect: the thread

no u

you literally believe that it's wrong for somebody to watch a short introductory video on science or philosophy and that these people should just all go read dense books because these topics are important to our life

you british sack of shit

>heheh everyones stupid but me

/r/iamverysmart

Walk up the comment chain and see the only implications I ever made were from
Which is not the case, you sound drunk or teenager, or both

youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
if this hegel video is bad then witch one am I supposes to watch?

You need to watch the Sandman

>makes video on Aquinas
>lol dude Aquinas was like a christian scientist and shiet dude faith and reason lmao
>doesn't even explain the quinque viae throughout the vid
I mean it's a 6 minute vid on youtube which is destined to the masses but this is just unjust

kids don't have libraries?

try this guide i.imgur.com/qzuCpZs.jpg

By "only portal" I don't mean they have no other way of learning about philosophy. How is that not fucking obvious? If they're watching a video, then surely they have access to the internet... Having access doesn't mean they will go and use it. 99% libraries are fucking awful for philosophy anyway.

i have no phil book in my (physical) library and i have yet to find one who has any

ITT: Gatekeeping

I've watched a couple, and they pretty much boil an entire author/philosopher down to

>"[Author/Philosopher] thought that the meaning of life was ___"

It's a gross oversimplification and borders on misrepresentation, but what are you expecting from a 10 minute YouTube video made for people with no background in philosophy?

Just accept that they're made for people with a faint passing interest in philosophy, and just want to hear who this "Nietzsche guy" they keep coming across is and what he was all about, but don't really care enough to read the work itself.

It's like you're taking issue with someone attempting to have some knowledge of what you've built your identity around, so you'll gatekeep the fuck out of anything 'too accessible'.

Not him, but this is the majority of discussion by people who aren't educated in music start talking about music. The constant false allusion to profundity or understanding when it's clearly lacking. This is made worse by fretplebs presenting themselves as an authority when they can't tell portamento from their assholes.

A good music man looks at music like an athlete watching another athlete, while an idiot holds them in reverence.

>Literally no gap too narrow to crowbar in Peterson

He's the definitive intellectual of our age of course he's going to apply

>Sure whatever
Could you maybe stop coming here?

>It's a gross oversimplification and borders on misrepresentation, but what are you expecting from a 10 minute YouTube video made for people with no background in philosophy?
I expect it to not be fucking made it in the first place. It's like if someone made a 10 min video called "explaining quantum physics" and made all sorts of dumbass claims like dude quantum physics it's like when you watch a particle it appears looooool and massive legion of huge retards swallowed it up because they need to feel intellectual (as if we didn't have enough problems with dunning kruger on the internet already). Stop tollerating this dumb shit.

what's a good alternative? genuinely curious

>lets condense incredibly complec philosophy into a few minutes of digestible and entertaining video that's meant pique interest in people that usually dont care for this
>Veeky Forums REEEESS continuously and doesnt get it's not for them

You're all fucking tryhard pseuds. Just keep reading and studying whatever it is you do, why does this channel bother you so much?

EAT A DICK FAGGOT!

>What do you mean feeding disinformation to ineducated retards in the age of rampant dunning kruger is a bad thing? Fugging bseuds :DDDDD

please leave

>I can just imagine some fucker watching that and thinking he now understands his works.

You wouldn't be genuinely upset unless you'd built a personal image around the dozens of hours you've put into pursuing philosophy. It's something that makes you an 'intellectual' and something the "legions" will never get, and the chance that they might erroneously put claim to it drives you up the wall.

You're the Nirvana fan asking "oh yeah? Name 5 of their songs."

It's because people here define themselves through what they study. They have no personality outside of their bookshelf. That's why they are so offended, an insult to the subject they study is an insult to them as well.

It's not a class you mong, It's a 5 minute video with the simplified gist that tries to extract self-help attributes and interpretations. It's not teaching the philosophy, rather how you can use it to "better yourself" It's not feeding misinformation. You sound like you subscribe to Alex Jones.

Pure projection lad. All I'm saying is that it's bad because it creates legions of imbeciles who don't understand yet they think they understand. I'm not against divulgation at all, but it has to be done well (e.g. Sadler)
>You're the Nirvana fan asking "oh yeah? Name 5 of their songs."
Jesus fucking christ. Philosophy isn't a fucking rockband, it's a serious thing.
How would you feel if I started a youtube channel devoted to share facts about bodybuildining but got my facts wrong half the fucking time? Same thing.

No one's writing a dissertation on these videos.

Their audience is someone who heard "Nietzsche" referenced on a TV show and want a rough idea on what he was about.

If anyone cared enough to go into more depth, there's free hour-long lectures out there, and public libraries.

It's a total non-issue, which is why what you're really upset about is the thought that "the masses" might think they understand your precious, impenetrable philosophy.

ITT: Brainlets mad that a high IQ multi-millionaire using his PhD level knowledge of philosophy is using youtube to offer self-help videos to the masses

>muh misinterpretation

three minute philosophy

All right, you seem to be hellbent on creating a strawman of me based on some image of a smug philosophy guy you conjured up in your head for some fucking reason. Go ahead and do your thing.

good video for this thread youtube.com/watch?v=e-WCz951EBc

This is actually a good insight. I was angry when I saw the videos, but maybe it's because I don't like the idea that someone now thinks they know Hegel or Nietzsche after just 10 minutes, when I've had to spend hours and hours, and if were at a party both of us would have similar things to say (the conclusion) since you don't get to show off all the knowledge in general everyday conversation.

dude 10 minutes is a lot of time but they use it entirely to repeat that main oversimplified idea

I remember the first video I saw from that channel was about camus...he quickly dismissed a few philosophers due to their love life. "sexually unsuccessful schopenhauer" he said.
it's a decent channel for the daily swine to get a "cool" fast summary with nice pictures and "quirky" animation. perfect for the ADD generation that needs everything to be entertaining.

>.he quickly dismissed a few philosophers due to their love life. "sexually unsuccessful schopenhauer"

>"sexually unsuccessful schopenhauer"
Sounds like one of those monikers Trump devised for his opponents

Trump would come up with something more simple and catchy than that. "low energy Jeb Bush", "lyin ted", "crooked hillary", "little rocket man", "sneaky diane", "little Marco", "1for38 kasich". he's a true savage

>It's okay that it's shit because the format makes it impossible for it to not be shit. Pointing out said shitness is gatekeeping, and a reflection of some contrived personal inadequacy.
Or maybe you're just a dumb faggot.

It's very difficult for many adults to know where to began, how to understand and to get anything out of philosophy, never mind children. Short videos are a lot simpler to understand and are more like to pique the interest of children than the prospect of reading ancient greek books.

reddit.com/r/philosophy/comments/3c2dg9/a_critical_commentary_on_the_school_of_lifes/