Why cant I speak like I write

Why cant I speak like I write

Different cognitive processes
Schopenhauer also talks about writing differently than you speak. He basically says if you speak like you write, then you’re a pretentious cunt

when writing you have much more time to think through your words
but also practice, if you make an effort to pick up on metanarratives, symbology and syntactical sugar in your small talk, soon you'll be able to manipulate it to your own advantage. I find that personally, when I start talking about something that I've both read and thought about a lot, I manage to use much better language and more complex sentences to convey all the nuance I need to accurately represent my statement.
Practice practice practice, and read a bunch of whatever you want to sound like, some of it aloud.

Why can’t I write like I think?

But how do others know that I read books?

you only think your thoughts are profound because you intuitively leap over the gaps in your own logic, but when you try to commit them to the cold, objective reality of ink and paper, their flaws make them inexpressible.

>intuitively leap over the gaps in your own logic

Does this mean Im dumb?

because you spent all your time shit posting on Veeky Forums
go outside talking to people or if you don't want to practice social skills start vlogging (no need to upload it, just actually talk to yourself about what you do) and you'll practise speaking

I talk to people all day at my job

forgot to say that recording it is helpful since you'll see how you talk and notice easier what to improve

then I'd guess you either have much more time to fomulate a written sentence than a spoken one or I'm not sure what your problem is

No it's inescapable, you have to put it to paper to work it out, but you also have to be fearless in writing it, you can't be put off by "oh boy this is so obviously a bad idea"

Working out and exploring ideas that sound good in your head and then really bad on paper are the only way to get to the really good ideas

Related: Why can't I write like I speak? I feel like I'm trump everything that I say sounds good and people can follow it and I'm a socially successful person, before I stopped being a brainlet I was successful in high school debate stuff and state mock trial stuff, but all my teachers that I respect and that love my contributions in class, tell me they cannot follow my paper writing, one teacher told me my paper on Aristotle's Physics "bordered on the incomprehensible"

The best feedback I ever got on a paper was from the teacher he wrote "A decent treatment of a very subtle matter".

Maybe this suggests that most of my papers are too ambitious, I try to go to far and get tangled up.

But why would it be that my writing is so much more ambitious than my speech? Or, why is that we can follow an ambitious speech much better than an ambitious text?

I always speak in my head before I write, imagining a conversation with my audience, and I never hear them respond but I can always see them shaking their heads when I say something problematic that I need to take a few steps back to work on.

Okay does that mean im smart then

stop fucking baitposting you useless nerd

It's not fucking worth it. I once used a big word naturally in conversation and they fucking pointed it out. And this was with a posh person and a rich banker. Actively hide your lit cred

Careful what you wish for. I speak exactly as I write due to my autism. Needless to say, I have only a few friends.

>tfw I finally realized why I speak like a redneck with autism despite writing well enough and getting a 170 on the verbal GRE portion
turns out that as a kid I conciously chose to speak less fluently to fit in with my uneducated parents and largely minority public school classmates. Eventually I internalized this and forgot I even choose to do it in the first place. How do I unlearn this shit /lit?

So you would actually verbalize "needless to say"?

Because other people won't let you.

He was teaching me user, i was actually taking his word

Oh yes. Most people find it annoying, but sometimes you get that one person who can not only keep up, but who is also devastatingly eloquent. Especially if they're from a good family.

I couldn't really go back to drunken banter after that. It just wasn't fun anymore. By contrast, my little brother is literally incapable of using complete sentences, due to the wretched company he has surrounded himself with for years. I'm sure there's a middle-ground.

We all want to have Marathe/Steeply style conversations, user. But most of us aren't in a position (socially or economically) to really thrive in that kind of discourse. Try to be more practical.

>devastatingly eloquent

ok that's gay even for a casul convo on a Xiongnu bronze smelting image forum.

I wasn't calling myself that, mate. Clinically speaking, autism tends to have an effect opposite of eloquence.

I was making a point of you using those 2 words you aspie

Anyone else struggle with fluidity while writing but can "write" in their head much better? I'm going to get a tape recorder, speak my thoughts, and then translate them into word form.

are you a brit? I could imagine a brit saying "wretched" but in America if you said that out loud in any informal social context people would make strange faces

what if the imaginary audience responds? What if they're doing most of the talking? What happens if I get all my ideas from an imaginary man talking to me in my daydreams?

No, Kiwi.

the absolute state of the western continent everybody

Eh, when in Rome.

Don't, literally a massive advantage in every industry you would want to work in, when you perform like a the smartest people do and talk like the dumbest do you are seen as honest, trustworthy, and direct

Im really good at getting my thoughts out in words, but horrid at getting them out in writing.

I believe its the spontaneous nature of speaking or conversing that pushes them out naturally. When writing you try to plan what you want to say and how you want to say it, those things often conflict and make your point illegible. Either that or you try to hard at writing well that you lose your original point.

why cant i speak like i think?

why dont u try writing like u speak instead of spending your life pretending to be someone you're not.