How do i go from middlebrow to highbrow, I cant take living like this anymore

How do i go from middlebrow to highbrow, I cant take living like this anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tgg6_-oBOfQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Browse more Veeky Forums

Try to write and verbalize your tastes. Develop a philosophy beyond good or bad.

Stop believing in political ideologies

Become enlightened user

large doses of psilocybin mushrooms

Spend more time alone and away from any sort of screen. Walk everywhere. Allow yourself no more than five to six hours of television/film content per year, and no video games- none whatsoever.

You must read 1018 books

>no videogames
guys like you are dumb. highbrow games exist and will only become more common considering it's the fastest maturing artform OAT

read good books and not bad books

I've thought about this for a long time and recently concluded that, in modern Western society, after a certain point in one's life (late childhood, I would say), it's not possible to transcend middlebrow. To be highbrow is to have an intimate, sincere, and intuitive understanding of aristocratic and intellectual culture. It's not just namedropping the right names and having interesting and intelligent opinions that serve your genuine appreciation for art. It's a noble attitude towards life itself that informs your every behavior, a cadence not in your speech but in your pattern of thought. What middlebrows don't understand is that, in this particular arena, intellect and drive doesn't actually matter. It's culture. It's a language unto itself. You need to be raised in the proper milieu that consistently rewards aesthetic curiosity and doesn't simply provide the resources necessary for one's intellectual development, but actively encourages it to its fullest and most thorough extent.

The typical American or American-influenced lowbrow/lower middlebrow can still approach upper middlebrow, which is something. And it's important to remember that middlebrow doesn't necessarily equate to mediocre (though that's usually the result). The conventional (middlebrow?) example is Shakespeare, who was essentially a middlebrow writer and yet also the single greatest dramatist in the history of the English language. There are countless other middlebrows what beat highbrows at their own game, since highbrows are prone to hubris, inbreeding, and solipsism.

But becoming highbrow is essentially off-limits, hence why highbrow is highbrow in the first place. Aspiring towards becoming highbrow, that is a lower middlebrow idea, and you should work to conquer it.

I think you need to examine why your happiness is dependent on your brow level

This is the only highbrow videogame that ever has and ever will exist for all of human history
>tfw spent all my HS years building a replica of mid atlantic urban blight and wrote a fan fic for my city (Rock Creek) describing the politics of corruption that lead to it's decay

>tfw played CSS through high school and gained nothing but quicker reflexes

you're probably right

youtube.com/watch?v=tgg6_-oBOfQ

>5-6 hours of television a year
Are you a fucking monk?

i am right

ye when the fat 95 iq cod soyboys grow up what they will really demand is a much more cerebral and mature experience for sure and not nude little anime girls

audience demand has nothing to do with it. i'm not defending the industry but the medium.

who are some highbrow writers?

uhh ok, and we would all know kubrick's name if he didn't have a budget right?

videogames are just slot machines that don't even have the decency to pay out once in awhile - you can barely point to anything that is highbrow or avant garde in the medium, I mean I would be surprised if you could name an example I would agree with.

I would be surprised if you agreed with anything.

sub human

I would agree that things like vr open up possibilities for some interesting new art, but because of the complexity of creating a game and the economics involved I really doubt anything that good will be made anytime soon - not that it's impossible, they would really need to hire much, much better writers at the least.

If my bitch didn't always ask me to watch movies with her (not that I ever pay attention to any of them for more than 15 minutes anyways), I'd literally never watch TV. It's not that hard, kid. I didn't even own a TV for 8 years (but since we live together now, well...).

This. You must completely disassociate from culture until you are ready to be reborn as a proper intellectual.

>Aspiring towards becoming highbrow, that is a lower middlebrow idea
This seems accurate.

kek

Fuck you, you're just as middle-brow for entirely diluting Fussell's ideas from "Class". OP needs to read the last chapter from the book, about X people

smok weed

highbrow videogames are gonna be low-budget single dev games (at the very least an auteur game)

metal gear solid