Bob Dylan

A friend and I were discussing Bob Dylan's Nobel win and he stated that Dylan didn't deserve it because he hadn't written a book. Lo and behold, telling this talk to my wife and she mentions Tarantula. So I picked it up and what the fuck? Am I too brainlet or does this "book" seem like schizophasia-esque ramblings, more so than his already word salad songs?

>does this "book" seem like schizophasia-esque ramblings
Sounds like a postmodern classic.

Homer never wrote a book either. I guess we should stop teaching him in literature courses.

>word salad songs
Brainlets need to stop projecting their intellectual inferiority onto Dylan, of all fucking writers. If you think Mr Tambourine Man is 'word salad', you have probably never read a line of verse throughout your entire life

Herbs we dance around in solace
Words we prance around with hollies

It's obvious Dylan just writes until he gets words that rhyme and sound cool and then says they have meaning.

I don't think he should have got it because it sets an awkward precedent once we include music.
And also because I think if we are giving it to a musician I wanted it to be Leonard Cohen first.

Dylan needs lteral nonsense, while Cohen needs romantic delusion and so on.

There is literally ONE folk songwriter who's worth any attention. Joyce would be either proud or jealous of Shane.

Joyce would also be proud of an impressively sized shit so I'm not inclined to consider his opinion too seriously

Ok dumb dumb, I'll make this ez for you. Homer is e exempt from the criteria for two main reasons: 1) he never won a nobel and 2) he couldn't fucking write

Cohen wrote bad poetry set to music. Dylan wrote great lyrics that happen to also be good poetry.

Don't misunderstand me, word salad doesn't mean bad per se, his lyrics ARE off the wall and all over the place but often times they're not. Tarantula reads as a mess not unlike the Book of Disquiet. I like Dylan but Tarantula just seems like it got published for being Dylan.

I'm not the one arguing against Dylan winning, my friend was. I think song lyrics (especially like Dylan or Cohen) can be poetry, so it counts. Homer counts because he wrote epic poetry. I don't think the Nobel should be exclusive to books.

Absolutely pleb opinion
There's difference in taste to be sure, but to say that Cohen's writing was bad is just outing yourself as a brainlet.

The Nobel is about literary contribution and the criteria changes pretty much from year to year. Some years it's about aesthetics, some others about influence or novelty, etc. In the case of Dylan, he was awarded the prize not purely for the literary content of his lyrics, but for his literary contribution to music. This mean that it's not like they thought that if you read his lyrics removed from the music they're so good that he the deserved the Nobel. It's mean that they thought that the way in which he used literature to improve music made him worthy of the prize. It's not orthodox, but I think their criteria was valid.

I absolutely agree, I made a similar argument to my friend. I still think Tarantula is a mess, but that's me. Just curious on everyone else's thoughts.

Excerpt from tarantula? What's it even about?

I don't really know how to describe it, it's kinda like a half Prose, half poetry style rambling from Dylan. Very stream of consciousness, there's no narrative, it's just looking into Dylan's extremely fucked up head.

Here's an excerpt. One of the poem parts:

"the truck driver coming in with a carpet sweeper under his eyes everybody says hi joe and he says joe the person that owns this place. I'm just a scientist. I aint' got no name the truck driver hates anybody that carries a tennis racket. He drinks all the senator's coffee and proceeds to put him in a headlock"

It's terrible.

It's kind of funny.

Never read it, but that book got pretty bad reviews. However, Dylan also wrote Chronicles, which is a good memoir though obviously not Nobel-worthy.

My favourite written Dylan is the 'three kings' story from the John Wesley Harding liner notes. The poems accompanying Another Side Of (IIRC) are also good.

Damn. Imagine how long it takes Bob to whittle down to decent songs if that's the stuff that just spews from his head. That motherfucker works!

genius

I'll try that out, as I've said before in the thread I do really like Dylan. If anything Tarantula has at least given me insight to his creative process.

Bob Dylan was CIA. They meant to paint hippies as stammering cretins. They didn't know it was redundant.

>i put the ladle on the table
>i take the hickey from the tiki
>i pluff da goomboom in teh toontoon
>plecheltechgambachumbawanba

>I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more

>Chronicles
>which is a good memoir

No it's not. Bob Dylan offers no insight into any of his identity crises. He's a chameleon. A Jew reptilian, who has gone from folk singer, rock musician, Christian evangelist and back to Jew impersonator. He's a man without identity, and his book offers no insight into his obvious lack of personality. He fashion's himself after a Goy poet, writing about his one legged grandma who smoked confederate dollars. Lol as if any of that stuff is in any way remotely believable, both pairs of grandparents were Slav Jews. Dylan's poetic talent is overshadowed by the insincerity of it all, he's a fraud, he's the worst of it really, he's an apex imposter.

>people thinking tarantula has any relevancy to the Nobel

If you really want to know why it's deserved, read Mark Jones' essay on the song Visions of Johanna. If you can't feel the greatness just from listening to it.

>thinks Homer never wrote a book
You fucking moron. What were The Iliad and the sequel, The Odyssey??

You're just lucky he write us a third before he died, otherwise we would be reading even more of his long, drawn out, wordy, verbose garbage.

The reason he didn't win a Nobel is because Homer wasn't a fucking Swede. He's a Greek. Those shitskins never win Nobels.

2/10

>pissed off med

i wouldn't think much of that book. when it was written people were propping him up to be some mythical figure which he disagreed with. i think he intentionally set out to sabotage his image a bit. he was also doing a lot of speed at the time

Cocaine's a helluva drug

Kanye West will have one in 40 years.

Invention is better. Proof that he has talent.

>and then says they have meaning
The important detail is that he doesn't say this. Everyonw knows he's mostly having fun with words. If he wants a message, he doesn't try to conceal it. Just listen to freewheeling

Only if it was bred of Nora's farts though.

As a dedicated Dylan fan it's a little infuriating how everyone feels entitled to an opinion based on whatever small sampling of his work they're familiar with. When you say "Word Salad" I assume you're talking about a few albums from the 60s. Surely you're not talking about Blind Willie McTell or Every Grain of Sand or Highlands? Have you even heard those songs? Or is it just your privilege as a hipster douche to have a Dylan hot-take at the ready?

So it's Burroughs with less punctuation, not surprising

>poltard shitposts about Jewish accomplishments
>makes me admire Jews for their intellectual achievements even more
Checkmate faggot

>/r/reddit_irl

This makes Lulu sound good.

>Highlands
Great song. I always think of it when I see Veeky Forums memeing about women authors.

Really, you're going to say Hallelujah and Suzanne and Anthem are just bad writing? Or is that because you haven't actually listened to his songs apart from hearing them that one time in Shrek?