Mfw he wants to talk about art and doesn't know his Wagner

>mfw he wants to talk about art and doesn't know his Wagner

>mfw I have to listen to another pleb who speaks about symbolism, impressionism, romanticism, or any other styles in European art, all of which Wagner created, and he replies in the negative when I ask him if he knows his Wagner

>mfw people reading Nietzsche or Wilde or Rilke or literally anyone without knowing their Wagner

>he wants to talk about literature but he doesn't know his Wagner

Charles Baudelaire, Stéphane Mallarmé and Paul Verlaine worshipped Wagner.[214] Édouard Dujardin, whose influential novel Les Lauriers sont coupés is in the form of an interior monologue inspired by Wagnerian music, founded a journal dedicated to Wagner, La Revue Wagnérienne, to which J. K. Huysmans and Téodor de Wyzewa contributed.[215] In a list of major cultural figures influenced by Wagner, Bryan Magee includes D. H. Lawrence, Aubrey Beardsley, Romain Rolland, Gérard de Nerval, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Rainer Maria Rilke and numerous others.[216]

In the 20th century, W. H. Auden once called Wagner "perhaps the greatest genius that ever lived",[217] while Thomas Mann[213] and Marcel Proust[218] were heavily influenced by him and discussed Wagner in their novels. He is also discussed in some of the works of James Joyce.[219] Wagnerian themes inhabit T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land, which contains lines from Tristan und Isolde and Götterdämmerung and Verlaine's poem on Parsifal.[220]

Many of Wagner's concepts, including his speculation about dreams, predated their investigation by Sigmund Freud.[221] Wagner had publicly analysed the Oedipus myth before Freud was born in terms of its psychological significance, insisting that incestuous desires are natural and normal, and perceptively exhibiting the relationship between sexuality and anxiety.[222] Georg Groddeck considered the Ring as the first manual of psychoanalysis.[223]

>He hasn't yet penetrated Wagner's Ring and explored the darkness of it's interior

Some of that should have been included in the OP. Where a the quotes from?

Wigner>Wegner>Wagner

Wagner composed as bad as Nietzsche wrote.

Thinking Wagner is a great composer is like thinking Hans Zimmer is a great composer.

Listen to Strauss or Mahler instead.

xD

He's not even on this arbritrary list I saved

I know that feel op, The Ring is the pinnacle of art

Wagner and his music dramas are at the height of European culture. He's considered to be equal to Shakespeare and Aeschylus, yet plebs like to pretend they can ignore him.

>waaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiilllllllWAAAAAAAAAAAILLLLLL
>snivelingsuphurousbreastygouty
>CYMBALCRAAAAAAASH
>WAAAAAAILLLL

t. Wagner

I liked that part.

Reminder that to truly appreciate Wagner you should do years of ear training and learn your theory, counterpoint, melody and harmony. I'm sure 99% of you guys don't even know how the Tristan Chord should resolve.

Strauss and Mahler would disagree with you.

what the actual fuck is this list about? i know /mu/ is contrarian, but to not include mozart and beethoven in a ranking of composers is a whole other level of retardation

why do you reply to bait? do you have any dignity?

stop polluting Veeky Forums

Just read the Nibelungenlied

According to the foreword in my copy of Beyond Good and Evil, Neechee and Wagner were actually very close friends, until Wagner forgot to invite Neechee to his Christmas dinner, offending Neechee and causing him to stop promoting Wagner's new opera house being built in Bayreuth.

Who cares? The Common Practice period has no purpose other than self-reference. Knowing how it resolves is irrelevant to everything other than knowing how it resolves. The whole thing is just sunken cost and buyer's remorse.