Is the started kit good for a pleb? Seems a bit Americanized

Is the started kit good for a pleb? Seems a bit Americanized.

the greeks are the only starter kit you need

start with the greeks they are fuggin gay but were smart enough to make multiple copies of their lame shit

i've been making my way through the list and it is all very good literature

Like this?

It’s basically what americans have to read in school, isn’t it? Won’t get much more pleb friendly than that.

>Herodotus
That's a biiiig book ;_;

BNW = shit
ACO = movie's better
TKaMB = overrated
Catchy my age = awful
One Flew Over the Cuck's Shed = Someone killed my cuckoo and I wanna know who; pretty good.
1984 = I guess it's worth reading, the story is pretty bland. Read 'Road to Wigan Pier' instead.
Slaughter House Five = great
Rye Catcher = sure
451 = should read
Invisible Man = read
Amerian Psycho = Just watch movie
Gatsby = Not his best story.
Las Vegas = read
Of Mice and Men = great book, but, not his best either
Dorian Gay = read
>tfw no loli gf
Read all the bottom 4.

Meh. I'd personally ditch the secondary stuff. Theogony should be at the top, especially if you're unfamiliar with Greek myth. Reading epic fragments before you've read Homer and Hesiod seems backwards to me. Many of the specific editions being recommended here wouldn't be my choices either. Fagles is easy to read but I prefer Lattimore for the epic poets. There's definitely better translations for Herodotus and Thucydides than penguin, the Landmark editions are very nice. For Sophocles (and the other two tragedians for that matter) I really like the Chicago Press series

So?

How important are the Greeks? Should I retroactively start with them if I never plan to read philosophy?

Do you expect to understand philosophy without being familiar with Plato and Aristotle?

There’s are just books that are commonly or at least plausible read in American/Canadian high schools, or at least by high school students. While a lot of these are worth returning to down your literary career, they mostly accessible enough to be the first books of ‘literary fiction’ for the average person.

I will say that A Clockwork Orange is on the more advanced side of the books here, it’s style makes it very difficult to make out anything that’s going on. I remember trying it and giving up in high school, it was only years later that I came to appreciate it.

Also American Psycho is far too violent to actually be read by high schoolers, but it is good and interesting literary fiction. But seriously, the intensity of violence here requires a string stomach to get through.

To this list I’d add;
-The Outsiders
-All Quiet on the Western Front
-The Bell Jar
-The Scarlet Letter
-Night
-The Old Man and the Sea
-Frankenstein
-Beloved
-Metamorphosis
-Handmaid’s Tale
-A Couple Edgar Allen Poe stories; Tell Tale Heart, Cask of the Amontillado, Pit and the Pendulum, Murder at Rue Morgue, Purloined Letter etc. There are plenty
-Fairwell to Arms

And then for a bit more advanced;
-Heart of Darkness
-Mrs. Dalloway
-Wuthering Heights
-Jane Eyre
-Dubliners
-As I Lay Dying
-East of Eden

OK user, I'm taking your recommendations at face value and ordering the books you think I should read. I hope you're not a fucking faggot with shit taste.

>Fear and loathing
Yuk.

I read it in highschool because they don't spend any time on ancient history and practically none on Greek Veeky Forums outside of Oedipus the mom fucker.

reddit please leave

>shitting on catch 22

Too "Kafkaesque". Sure the whole message and "aha" moments are great; but the prose and story as a whole, is mediocre.

Siddhartha is Hesse's worst book

Man a lot of historians are named Strauss.

4u

What do the colored lines mean?

This chart fucking sucks

>Hasn't read the wave chapter
Yuk.

This chart is great if you're American and you want to discuss "literature" with freshman literature students at community colleges. Which you shouldn't want to do imhotbqhfam. It's literally normie "literature" 101. Might be useful if you want to understand the shallow literary references made on popular television.

>Slaughter House Five = great

So what do you recommend

try this one instead

Honestly, the OP is alright if you want to have entry-level discussions or do some light reading without exercising your brain at all. I mean, several of these books are aimed at children.

If you want to be Veeky Forums, read:
>The Iliad and the Odyssey
>The Aeneid
>The Bible (KJV or Douay-Rheims, and particularly the New Testament if you can't be bothered to read it all)
>The Divine Comedy
>Paradise Lost
>The tragedies of Shakespeare
>Ulysses
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Infinite Jest

As for philosophy:
>Plato's dialogues
>Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and Physics
>Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
>Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit
>Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil and On the Genealogy of Morals