Who writes better short stories?

Who writes better short stories?

Gogol
Hawthorne
Hoffman

akutagawa comes close

waiting for someone to write Hemingway so I can respond with a demented wojak

Carver

Borges shits on pretty much every ss wroter.

Kafka
Chekhov
Döblin
And personally I really like Kaschnitz

Hemingway

Borges is hamstrung by the fact that he only writes about ideas and fails to understand people

Good post

Does the English language have such a wide variet in (not abstract) prose like Germans have with von Kleist?
I doubt you can properly translate Kleist without much of the telling getting lost.
One of the most interesting Short story writers I have read and his influence is definetly felt in later writers, for example Kafka.

That’s like saying dark chocolate sucks because it’s not sweet. If you want sweet, eat milk chocolate.

Classic Kleist

Robert Walser
Flannery O'Connor
Lydia Davis
70s-era Stephen King
Kafka
Beckett
Russell Edson
Harlan Ellison

>Lydia Davis
I hope this is bait

I like her work, blow me.

How can you stand her tesious rhythm? All her sentences are roughly the same length. It's one thing to write plainly, but she's just monotonous. Especially given her subject matter.

Chekhov
Akutagawa
Maupassant

>All her sentences are roughly the same length

That has to be the most banal criticism I've ever read. Anyway, she has a particularly idiosyncratic style that I like, and I've always been interested in super-short fiction. She has a knack for boiling a story down to its barest elements, especially in her more recent works, and she's a damn fine translator to boot.

>boiling a story down to its barest elements
So does (will) a robot, which if what she sounds like.
>damn fine translator
She shat on Proust with her shitty hackjob. I can't stand that woman and her idiot syncrasies.

I've never understood what's so great von Kleist. Give me one story of his that I should reread to change my mind.

Her Proust translation is universally critically acclaimed but you do you, dude.

She's an objectively terrible translator and it wasn't a criticism. I was literally asking how you could stand something monotonous. But I guess it's because you have a weak mind.

No it's not.

Das Erdbeben in Chile.

actually if you want more on why his Prose is so great read "Michael Koolhaas", though it is a longer read than "Das Erdbeben in Chili".

Never seen insecurities so blatantly projected in the wild. It's cute in a pitiable way.

he just has that flaw, or mark of ouvre. i love borges, but you wont be able to understand the human through him. he provides top entertainment though.

jej

stephen king