>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/8014195/The_Chronicles_of_the_Black_Company_-_Glen_Cook
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for webnovels are novels too

>romance book
graceling i guess. like 10 years ago. good book from what i remember
>what are you reading?
cleric quintet. its just ok.

dont know what to read, so reccomend me a good fantasy book. read so much shit the last few months

>deconstructionist fantasy

Do you want a genuinely good fantasy book or pretentious, bloated crap you wanna read just so you can pretend you feel smarter for having read it?

No. what i TRULY want is a very comfy book.

Any good interspecies romance?

Go watch The Shape of Water if you haven't. Pretty good genre romance flick.

The Dragons of Babel if you want something different that's also great. (or the Iron Dragon's Daughter)

The Wizard Knight is comfy.

I unironically enjoyed The First Law books

well, what have you read?

fudge late gain
sanderfag a hack

shit film, disgusting

some. stormlight archives, mistborn, kingkiller, the first law, game of thrones, and some other mostly bad books. read quite a bit of sci fi too, but dont feel like reading it now

Try adding it to yiff.party's database. If you can view it immediately, it's not CUF, if you can't it's protected and you must pray for someone's generosity

So if I wanted to view chapter samples (words) from a writer on patreon would I be able with this furfag.party?
One of his characters /wife is a catgirl if that helps.

Perdido Street Station

Brandon Sanderson's books are to literature what Skyrim is to videogames.

He somehow manages not to excel at any facet of his work. To borrow from Bloom, he has no discernible talent. His dialogue is stilted and uninteresting. His characters feel more like plot-convenient afterthoughts than people. The plots themselves are generic filler, somehow managing to be even less interesting than million get-to-the-end-of-the-dungeon quests of Skyrim. His prose is "workmanlike" or "inoffensive" (read: shit) in the way that combat in Skyrim is "inoffensive". I challenge Sanderson fans (?) to name one thing that he does better than passably: one single thing he is actually good at.

The most common response to this is Sanderson's worldbuilding. Like Skyrim his worlds impress you at first with their scale and detail, but even this is quickly revealed to be flat and cliched. How many times can Sanderson get away with his utterly inane caste-system-attempting-to-be-some-kind-of-political-allegory?

>but muh magic system
Even if you're a fan of the sub-genre consisting of explaining everything about magic until it ceases to be magic (why would you be?), Brandon Sanderson does not do this particularly well. His magic basically devolves into people flying around and hitting each other because Sanderson (and his fans (?)) think this is the height of entertainment. People describe his works as anime but it should be specified that it's the anime aimed primarily at 10 year old japanese boys (yum).

>muh cosmere
Fans (?) of Sanderson think of him as some kind of genius and of his books as some kind of unified masterpiece because "it happens in the same universe xd". The "co-smere" is the shitsmear on the toilet-bowl which is his writing. Sanderson insults his readers (?) by using a gimmick originally conceived to sell capeshit with lacklustre tie-ins.

>B-But he writes fast
More evidence of him being a shit writer. It takes time to write and all the best fantasy authors spend a long time on their works to ensure we get the highest quality (see for example Rothfuss).

>you haven't even read all his books
No shit. I've read enough to make a judgement.

The only possible justification for people reading his mediocre works that I can think of is a desperate attempt to fill in the hours between now and the time they die. At least Skyrim has loli/shota(yum) mods. The fact that Sanderson's target audience is 14 year old mormons stops him on this front too.

Read BoTNS

Just try adding it to the database, only takes about a few seconds. Their server doesn't care whether or not it's furfaggotry or not. I added a few artists from artstation who weren't furfags.

>look ma
>i posted it for the 20th time in a row
>i'm so quirky

This is what it looks like when a CUF protected user is added, in this case it is nkjemisin.

and iirc, this is what it looks like when they aren't CUF protected

It wasn't funny the first time. And it isn't funny the third.

book of the new sun if you havent already. wheel of time should keep you busy if you get into it. and theres always malazan.

Thanks user.

is malazan good? Have it laying here somewhere but never got around to reading it

It has some good in it, but overall I can't say it's a good series. You'll probably love it though since I can tell you're a pleb.

It's not meant to be funny. It's criticism.
So far the only person who has attempted to respond to it is and I'm pretty sure that was bait.

>Writes a side character that speaks and writes formal, language while dresses in a somewhat archaic, formal fashion, with the intended purpose to show that its merely something said side character is trying to cultivate something he's not.

>People who read it keep telling me that's not how people act and that I should rewrite him.

Are people just that dense or is it just me.

we answered your question last thread

I just want reassurance since people are stupid.

Do you think I should make more aspiring authors macros? They are getting numerous as of late.

No, your time has passed, the day of the second-level memes is here.

So I need to make more meta-memes like pic related?

You may rest, bold hero. You may rest.

O-okay user.

Kiva Lagos was busily fucking the brains out of the assistant purser she’d been after for the last six weeks of the Yes, Sir, That’s My Baby’s trip from Lankaran to End when Second Officer Waylov Brennir entered her stateroom, unannounced. “You’re needed,” he said.

“I’m a little busy at the moment,” Kiva said. She’d just finally gotten herself into a groove, so fuck Waylov (not literally, he was awful) if she was going to get out of the groove just because he walked into it. Grooves were hard to come by. People have sex, and he was unannounced. If this was what he walked into, it was his fault, not hers. The assistant purser seemed a little concerned, but Kiva applied a little pressure to make it clear festivities were to continue.

“It’s important.”

“Trust me, so is this.”

“We’ve got a customs official who won’t let us take any haverfruit off the ship,” Brennir said. If he was shocked or scandalized by Lagos’s activities he was doing a good job of hiding it. He mostly looked bored. “Offloading our haverfruit is why we came to End. If we don’t sell it, or develop licenses, we’re screwed. You’re the owner’s representative. You’re going to have to explain to your mother why this trip was the cause of the financial ruin of your family. So perhaps you might like to join Captain Blinnikka in talking with this customs official right now to see if you can resolve this problem. Or you can just go on fucking that junior crew member, ma’am. I’m sure those are equivalent activities as regards your future, and the future of this ship, and your family.”

“Well, shit,” Kiva said. Her groove was definitely gone, and the assistant purser, her little project, looked pretty miserable at the moment. “That was a pretty impressive jab you just gave to someone who can fire your ass, Brennir.”

“You can’t fire me, ma’am,” Brennir said. “I’ve got tenure with the guild. Now, are you coming or not?”

“I’m thinking.”

“I should go,” the assistant purser said. “I mean, I can go. Maybe I should go?”

Kiva sighed and looked down at her conquest. “When are you on duty again?”

“Three hours.”

“Then you stay right here.” She untangled herself from the assistant purser, put on something acceptable for the outside world, and then followed Brennir out of her stateroom and through the ship.

So this is the power of the Hugos.

what's gri?

Your sex life.

used to mean gay rape incest.
now its pretty much anything with sex in it.

Please make more meta-memes

Anyone have a copy of the Black Company? Been looking to read it for ages

Is there any capeshit sff that's actually a good story and not just a good superhero story?

Worm is the latter

d-list supervillain(bad guy is being a bad guy but sometimes a good guy)
super sales on super heroes(empire building)
so not a hero(female mc)
windrunner(more anime than sanderson books)
theyre all more or less anti-hero stories though.
theyre all in all pretty good books though.

doesn't look like theres a lot of winners. Ive gotta wonder, what is it that defines the other case.

The Dark Knight for example is usually counted since you can cut out batman and it's still an awesome action movie. The same goes for wonder woman albeit as a war movie, but then you also have the incredibles in there where you can't really separate the heroes.

Then you have the watchmen and kickass which earn their points by being scathing deconstructions of the genre

Conversely, there are stories where superpowers play a different story role that are remembered terribly (my super ex-girlfriend, handcock) because they were all gimmick and no substance

You dumb faggot.

thepiratebay.org/torrent/8014195/The_Chronicles_of_the_Black_Company_-_Glen_Cook

well i recommend to you atleast have a look at d-list supervillain and super sales on super heroes.
the former is basically more about relationships between people and how those shape people. the overarching story is simple. mc was wronged and went villain mode. its about the things that happen inbetween though that make the story good. super sales is weird. i only read it because it was post here a few months ago. basically mc has a superpower to modify anything he owns but hes not strong enough to do anything meaningful. some day when buying bismuth from the black market instead he gets slaves. turns out if he owns people their power increases his power. from that point on the story picks up in a lot of unexpected and more often than not hilarious ways. think about what can be done if you can modify or change anything about anything you own. so mc goes with the idea and founds a company. super powers still play a role but the story is mostly about deicisionmaking and greyareas. the story has no black or white morality. its pretty much all ambigous but nothing every truly bad happens. same with d-list supervillain. nothing really bad every happens. well apart from the world pretty much ending in the second book and being unfucked with the help of biz markie.

The Black Company

honestly, that sounds like a parody version of Worm. Then again, I can't really complain either. The only idea for superhero story I can think of is a blatant fanfic about a metahuman kid who avoided becoming a hero because she was a coward but then when the generic endbringer knockoff attacks she and a bunch of other people with useless powers join the fray out of a feeling of responsibility. Meanwhile the all-powerful hero she looks up to becomes a turncoat out of cowardice making the whole thing a retarded fucking sermon about courage being the real strength

yeah nah. you wont find anything that simple in the books i recommended. motivation for many characters are actually very vague and can be taken or interpreted many ways. theres not really a clear cut answer in both the series i mentioned.
i say give them a try and judge for yourself.
i actually recommend the audiobook versions of both d-list supervillain and super sales. theyre both pretty terrific if you are into audiobooks.

As someone that enjoyed Skyrim, I'll check his work out.

Agree 100% with this post. His work is overrated anime garbage without any prose or depth to disguise his shitty world and character building.

He is a SK-tier level hack.

>Kiva Lagos was busily fucking the brains out of the assistant purser she’d been after for the last six weeks of the Yes, Sir, That’s My Baby’s trip from Lankaran to End when Second Officer Waylov Brennir entered her stateroom, unannounced. “You’re needed,” he said.

Please tell me you made this up as a spoof and it's not actually a book that was written and published

Just check the Amazon preview. There's a search box that you can use for stuff that isn't included in the full preview.

Like this

Story with the most indepth world?

Anything set in the real world.

So what's/lit/ view on edgy and/or dark fantasy?

Is it that hard to world build?

If you're asking about grimderp then the answer is it usually sucks. It can be good if it's well written and not too nihilistic, but more often than not the writers focus exclusively on making their worlds and characters as terrible as possible which can be beyond tedious and boring.

But if you're asking for non-nihilistic dark and gritty fantasy then sub-genres like Sword & Sorcery and Heroic Fantasy are my suggestions.

I was just being a smartass.

I wonder if it gets worse the more read, but I definitely won't be reading this to find out.

noob here, can i ask for your advice?

are there any books which focus on real human drama, preferrably dark with romance and tragedy in a serious manner, but still with aesthetic standards or is all fantasy derp hero slays the dragon and saves the world and forced edginess?

Rigante series by Gemmell

I don't even know any examples of dark and nihilistic fantasy that people keep mentioning besides Bakker.

Consider yourself lucky then.

What if I did the witch king thing where it's prophicied that no man my slay the villain, only the wording is "nobody" not "no man"

and so he's killed by a ghost

What if I did the witch king thing where it's prophicied that no man my slay the villain, only the wording is "nobody" not "no man"

and so she's killed by a ghost

Make it "no arm of flesh" and it's a skeleton that does it.

Just read I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A Heinlein

Wowee. Certainly different than most scifi however I couldn't help but question what it was even about.

The, admittedly, erotic shopping and clubbing and sex adventures of a 100+ year old male billionaires brain transplanted into a mid 20s model body.

Nothing really happens except the protagonist almost immediately craves the dick and to be slapped around after becoming a woman.

SJWs would hate it yes but ultimately without merit

>Nothing really happens except the protagonist almost immediately craves the dick and to be slapped around after becoming a woman.
Well what would you do if you became a woman?

Immediately prepare the transplant to a suitable male

books about a lich raising an army when?

Anyone who could become a woman and wouldn't use it as an opportunity to fuck other men is fucking gay.

captcha ate my pic

I challenge anyone to name a worse science fiction novel than Floating Worlds by Cecelia Holland

Keep in mind this is a feminist novel about a poor woman living in a anarchist utopia betraying her species by siding with a barbarian alien race who treats women like cum rags who are fighting against a human fascist Mars

She does this because she is roughly and frequently fucked by every alien she meets before being turned into a alien muslim housewife

why would a feminist ever write about that?
are you sure shes a feminist? might just be a chick with a rape fetish. most women want to submit to a strong man. im pretty sure feminists are closet subs that just want a man to tell them what to do.

Yes to be fair it may be that the feminist title has been thrust on to the book. Its still awful

the absolute STATE

I'm trying to remember the name of a book recommended here. It was described as a political fantasy novel but more action oriented and it didn't get into too much background minutiae even about some central characters... I've also heard of it mentioned alongside game of thrones, but for different reasons. iirc it was about an assassin, although I know it doesn't sound really specific or unique.

malazan book of the fallen?

That book is notorious for being terrible. Other candidates for "worst Heinlein novel" include The Number of the Beast and The Fifth Column.

What does /sffg/ think of the Prince of Nothing series? I am reading the first book right now and I think it's pretty good in terms of world building (the fact that the setting is not pseudo medieval europe is a huge plus) and characters, the philosophy behind them is also pretty interesting. I haven't read fantasy since Gardens of the Moon, but I found the Malazan books too autistically structured and I dropped them.

I don't think it was a series and it doesn't sound familiar, but I may just read that, thanks.
I think it was also focused on a single revolution.

I gay the rape, nothing, and prince of the Incest of Like series.

Thanks man, was talking about physical tho
Know the cover-artist and wanted to get my hands on the original

did you have a stroke user?

>What does /sffg/ think of the Prince of Nothing series
The first one is great, the rest are trash.

That's because they're unironically good.

Yes but Red Counrty was a letdown.

Loved it. You're in for a ride.

Ignore that user. He salty no one likes his dated and worn out prose s&s shit books.

Shadow Campaigns
The long price quartet
The dagger and coin series

This might be pointless to ask but apparently Freddie Mercury was working on a fantasy novel around the early point of his music career. It was set on a land called Rhye.
Some of these ideas were made into songs, like seven seas of Rhye, white queen, march of the black queen, ogre battle and lap of the gods. (I'm guessing what songs were developed from the rough stories).

So I'm asking on the off chance that someone might know more about it, more about the plot, characters or setting?

p.s. I ended up finding a speculative synopsis. It's probably the closest I'm going to get

The Concept
Let's say that it's a fantasy story about a land called, shall we say, Rhye. Rhye is mentioned several times, first on "The Seven Seas of Rhye" on Queen and Queen II, and also in "Lily of the Valley" on Sheer Heart Attack. So it makes sense that the story is about a land called Rhye.

Queen does not make it entirely clear on how the land of Rhye is divided. It could be divided as "above the ground" and "below the ground" or 2 kingdoms separated by a mountain range, or simply 2 kingdoms, one in the east and one in the west.

Anyway, Rhye is divided into two parts, the "white" side, which is prosperous, peaceful, and life is good, ruled by the benevolent White Queen. The other half, the "black" side, where life short, grim and violent, is ruled by her sister, the malevolent Black Queen.

It appears that the "white" side is suffering from the effects of the fading of the protective magic, which is beginning to erode the quality of life there. The Black Queen, noticing the weakness on the "white" side, decides to launches a full-scaled invasion of the White Queen's domain. After all, there's rich farmland, fine shipping and trading, slaves and taxes that can be taken to enrich her.

Sounds like a song of ice and fire.

Any idea on the Tax policy?

>It is a gift. A gift to the foes of the IRS. Why not use this loan? Long has my father, the Head of Accounts at Gondor kept the forces of the IRS at bay. By the accounts of our investors are your dividends paid! Give Gondor this fixed-rate loan, let us use it against them!