Just picked up a copy of this, but rarely see it discussed on Veeky Forums compared to his other works...

Just picked up a copy of this, but rarely see it discussed on Veeky Forums compared to his other works. What to expect/be looking for?

a tour-de-force

a coupe-d'ouil

a coup de tête

I preferred Devils.

The first couple pages (all I had the attention span to read) are more cognitively challenging than Brothers K or C&P because it's written in epistolary style.

I'll definitely try reading it again though. I was reading a different book at the time so I lacked the patience to code-switch back to Dostoevsky's style.

Yes, I'm a brainlet.

If you're a big Dosto fan ie you've read C&P, BK, Notes, The Idiot, then you should read it

The reason I bought it is because it was the same price as Notes from the Underground by 3x as long, meaning more value

one of his hardest but most rewarding novels, it takes the Russian realist tendency to throw a million names and pseudonyms at you to an extreme, the amount of social intrigue behind the scenes and the epistolary form give it a free wheeling chaotic form; as it exposes more and more of the true nature of events and characters (which is still often second hand) finally it begins to make sense. Basically the first half of the novel is confusing as hell.

I have trouble finding it in used bookstores. I refuse to patronize Amazon for my leisurely readings. Sadly it appears I shall never read this book. Pray for me anons, that one day Demons/The Possessed shall appear in McKay's Used Books, CDs, and More for me. God Bless Dostoyevsky!

REEEE FUCK OFF JOE ROGAN PODCAST LISTENING FAGGOT

You should read A Raw Youth after that for comparison.

I'm 2/3 in and I don't understand why I read everywhere that it's his best one. The story is confusing and it seem to be leading to nowhere.
I hope is right but if 2/3 of the book is midly boring I don't see how it can be perceive as better than the idiot or cp

Only other Dosto I've read is Brother's K, I prefered this one.

It's not as well crafted as Brother's K, in fact it's a mess. But it's filled with this fierce energy, you can sense Dosto wrestling with everything he hates, everything evil, and still finding humanity in those characters. The biggest problem is that the shit Dosto had a bone with isn't always relevant anymore, in fact a large portion of the social commentary can be a real drag. The second biggest is that the best chapter's in the appendix. Read that chapter chronologically within the story, it's worth it.

Beatles For Sale is like twice the length of Hard Day's Night, but that doesn't make it the better album.

Just go to the library

It’s in the Greensboro McKay’s... how many McKay’s are there?

How is A Raw Youth? Is it as mediocre/bad as people say or simply not as great as Dostoyevsky's major novels?

It's pretty funny and more political than his other works. Plus, there's hardly a single likeable character in the book, but you still want to read about them

You can blame his editor for that. More modern editions tend to weave that chapter into its proper position.

You're right about how foerce it is, it really feels like a kettle full of milk slowly heating up, and then exploding into a bubbling mess.

Dostoevsky spends half the book showing off by using French (via the character that satirizes Turgenev). Really annoying.

Read half of it but felt like I was missing the satire. Feel like I need a danteish companion text talking about russian culture.

It's partly mocking something that happened in Russian politics so read the introduction or look up some background info to see what Dosty is making fun of
exactly.

The first 100p is just the setup of the story so don't get dismayed.

SPOILER
Boy that passage with Shatov by the lake was really awful. Dosto can really pull off tense (almost gothic) climactic moments and get every ounce of impact out of them.

Question; why did the nihilistic main character act like he did? I've forgotten completely

His hardest book, but a good read. I just finished The Idiot and I think I preferred Demons.

I, like Dostoevsky but that book is quite tedious/boring.

I have started and stopped reading it a few times. Still haven't gotten through it. I'm not an impatient person either. I've read The Brothers Karamazov, Demons (twice), Anna Karenina (twice), War and Peace, The Life of Johnson.

What about Ivan Shatov?

How is this relevant?

I'm an enormous Dostoyevsky fan and Russian literature fan in general, and I would not recommend A Raw Youth/The Adolescent.

>I've never read a 19th century Russian novel, the post

He's literally a cuck. JK, I like him.

jordan peterson mentioned the book in his latest interview with joe rogan

not a fan of peterson, but is that interview sufficiently interesting to merit listening to it?

How do you know that without also being a Joe Rogan podcast listening faggot?

probably not if you don't like peterson
got me

It's okay. I also listened to it.

It's worthwhile for the 20 minutes or so he spends explaining how much time most people actually waste in a given day, and just how valuable it would be to put it to use.

When he suddenly gets his gf back and becomes a father, I was like, I'm up to your dirty tricks Dostoevsky. It's like a cop in a movie saying he's two days away from retirement and showing a picture of his children. It still worked tho, [certain event] was really impactful.

He literally wants to raise a 'my wife's son' though. Chad Stavrogin vs Virgin Shatov.

Fuck, I had actually forgotten about him. He had a hard life, alright

It is discussed here all the time. Lurk more faggot.

>le beatles analogy
Kys reddit

Shatov did nothing wrong and deserved better.

a stromboli

Preach it.

it's more reddit because he made the analogy with EARLY beatles albums. y'know, the ones that are 100% mindless pop

I think the Posessed was better.