Anyone who doesn't like this book is normie scum. Whenever someone says they hate Holden...

Anyone who doesn't like this book is normie scum. Whenever someone says they hate Holden, they are saying that they hate any person who relates to him. They are all scumbags.

Holden was a white knight who didn't have any moral/religious background to provide him a frame to work within so he looked all confused and messed up.

Dude, this is like the most normie-tier book you could ever read.

>unless a book is totally incomprehensible for the average reader and lacking any aesthetic standard whatsoever it's normie

now you're catching on

>i like being an emotionally retarded fag who identifies with a book that wasn't meant to be appealing in that way

its not, wasted dubs

>not of high aesthetic standards
>worthy of reading
Remind me why did this modernist meme catch on?

>im a teenager and this book really accurately describes how i feel
welcome to Normietown

Sorry for the grammar mistake, it's late and I'm not a native speaker.

>i'm a young adult, this book looks sophisticated and it is subjected to free interpretation due to it's vagueness, therefore it must be good

For those who think this book is normie:
Samuel Beckett loved this book
So fuck off

wow, an aspie Irish hack who never produced anything of value enjoyed mid-brow YA trash?

such a recommendation!

Read Nabakov's short essay "Good readers and Good Writers." You're approaching literature the wrong way.

Who wouldnt hate a whiny pseud?

What if I like it in a general sense, but don't like it in comparison to Salinger's other work?

>t. normalfags

shouldn't have tagged me I agreed with the thesis of the OP

I love the catcher in the rye, one of my faves. Why are some people so against it?

because Holden is uncool and people think if they say they like the book they will be uncool by association. that's it

There should have been a part two wherein Holden Sorts Himself Out so that Holdenesque types could have hope or something.

Because it's mainly read in high school where it's themes are parroted by misanthropic pseuds. If Catcher in the Rye changed places with, let's say, Infinite Jest, then the former would appreciated while the latter would be maligned.

Pretty much anyone who hates Holden used to BE Holden.

Hear hear. Anyone who hates Holden hates all that is good! They must be stopped!

>Joyce
>lacking any aesthetic standard
ohhhhhh boy

>t. brainlet

Holden seems like a whit knight because he wants to 'save' kids from peril.
But if you follow his line of reasoning far enough, he wants to kill children and himself.
Faced with growing up, he's seen the dangers ahead and wants to 'spare' them those dangers.
He's like an anorexic, faced with maturity he responds by rejecting it. Not just for him but for all.
The author is optimistic about you by not clearly stating this. Holden is moving towards nihilism.

Holden is right