Now I a fourfold vision see

>Now I a fourfold vision see,
>And a fourfold vision is given to me:
>'Tis fourfold in my supreme delight
>And threefold in soft Beulah's night
>And twofold always, may God us keep
>From single vision and Newton's sleep!
Pardon the meme, but What Did He Mean By This?

Hahahahahaha
So manny layers, it's a joke about insight.
(Eyes closed)
In the instant, 4 things upon him, across dimensionaly(outside time, 3d is time based (Seeing inside his head))
Ecstasy, Beauty, Light, Truth
3= soft (feeling) beulahs(location) night ( activity)
1 God Yang 0 Karma
2 Self Yin 1 Dharma
This means to stay in Gods ideals, and not to give into gods primatal urges. (Masturbation) which is ironic, hence why it is a joke

bump

He's talking about the single-minded pursuit of reason, which blinds people to creativity, imagination and passion. In the painting of Newton from around the same time, he's trying to measure the world with a compass, but ended up stooped and stunted, short of his real potential. (The compass image is also in The Ancient of Days, which shows Blake's central god/monster Urizen. Urizen = "your reason" or "horizon", again showing the horror of a strictly ordered, rational existence).

yes but partially, for urizen is one of the four zoas which are states to be passed through.

he is not so much against it as such but against taking it as the only one. a one sided passion would be equally negative. what is needed is a balance or a pass through all of them so you can arrive at imagination and thus allow albion to emanate, or build jerusalem.

Who (or what) is "Beulah", though?

Beulah is the place where dreams and poetry comes, the source of creativity .

wait, isnt the source the poetic genius / imagination? beulah being maybe the concrete manifestation of that in the fallen world, which maybe be necessary to pass through it but not to be taken as imagination itself. idk im not fully versed in blake yet

it must be read backwards
1 matter
2 plants
3 animals
4 man

5 and 6 are only implied through repetition of 4 because he only sees shadows of demons and gods

It's been a while since I've read Blake but you may be right, iirc Beulah was the place in the subconscious that enabled access to the source of imagination.

I'd say the "concrete manifestation" is more tied to the cities of imagination he mentions in later works, Golgonooza and Jerusalem - that's what he "will not cease from mental fight" to achieve, in opposition to Single Vision.

Hello Beulah

bump for interest

Fourfould is all that matters and remember"see"
It's not his vision, so it's the image of something else he sees
It's complexest in my delight
Night here means seeing of dreams, poetry below pleasure in its folds
This is an allusion to something that i dont get (twofold always implies a severity of meaning I miss here), but the ethereal is prominent
May God prevent us from seeing a single vision, Newton's sleep, but without dreams, pleasure, and humanity. It's thematically Romantic poetry, but the idea is that via pleasure (Drunken Yourself is this) you achieve a complexer truth. It's bullshit but a pretty line

Where does one start with Blake?

You have to first understand that Blake basically predicted most of Nietzsche. Then everything makes sense.
This is already evident in his early, the Songs, which subvert classical dichotomies and celebrate the body while other romantics are still glorifying the mindspirit.
Something he made up because he can.

the marriage of heaven and hell
and songs of i&e

his prophetic books are something else, they are as work demanding as getting into the system of any philosopher, and even 'harder' for is not just an intellectual thing.

his prose writings are a gem.

The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Where's that version of the Night of Enitharmon's Joy from? Only ever seen the one where she has darker hair

bump 4 intrigue

there is usually many versions of each work, which he made in different circumstances. theyre all in the online blake archive.

For an absolute beginner I'd say Songs of Innocence/Experience first; both are pretty digestible, but people have probably already heard the Tyger (and maybe London) in school, so would have a foothold in that way, from which they could expand to see the whole thing where each poem in Innocence is a mirror image of one in Experience (like the Tyger with the Lamb, and the two Chimney Sweeper poems). After that I'd actually recommend the Auguries of Innocence, which have his famous "to see the world in a grain of sand" bit, and THEN the Marriage. But the critical thing no matter what you read is to take a look at his art plates, not just the text on a boring black-and-white Penguin Classics page.

i agree with that last thing you said, the thing has to be read in the original plate form. and your suggestion is sound as a start for someone who wants to get into blake's whole world, but if someone just wants a glimpse of the thing to see if it is worth it or not i think the marriage is the best choice. cause the songs, even in their apparent simplicity, remain full of references that are only seen when in context and in the light of the later works.

special mention needs to be made to the early illuminated works that usually pass unnoticed, for i think that everything is there in germ, stated in a style that i regret he didnt keep.

>Mock on, mock on, Voltaire, Rousseau;
>Mock on, mock on; 'tis all in vain!
>You throw the sand against the wind,
>And the wind blows it back again.
What did he mean by THAT? Same thing.

They approached similar modes of consciousness Blake loved the weak and the tired, Nietzsche pitied them. there is a stark difference between the two

>pic
Is that meant to be a proto-Urizen? I always wondered about the bearded figure on London - seems too close not to be, especially with that poem's emphasis on everything being "charter'd" (ie mapped, ordered, controlled), but there doesn't seem to be anything in the secondary literature to suggest he had the idea for that sort of representation before the actual Book of Urizen.

yeah it could be red as such. and not only. for example here adam and god are the same.