TFW smart but have poor vocabulary and never listened in HS English class, so I have crappy writing skills

>TFW smart but have poor vocabulary and never listened in HS English class, so I have crappy writing skills.

who gives a shit u fucking mong

>smart
>poor vocabulary
heh

How about you read a fucking book then and learn some style and new words you spaz

I'm trying. I have read almost everything by Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, a bunch of philosophy books, Swann's Way, and a collection of Freud's works. I have seen a minor improvement in my vocab and I have learned many new words, but I still am unable to recall them when I write something.

smartness can only be measured by its manifestations.

maybe your vocabulary is so poor that when you say smart you mean dumb.

>Wojak poster
>Poor vocabulary
>Never listened in HS English class
>Crappy writing skills
Then you aren't smart. In order to be wise you actually need to know things. Don't try to advocate for the "natural intelligence" meme. That doesn't mean anything, you need knowledge to be smart. Someone who is "less smart" according to you, is still a better writer, therefore "more smart."
But that means you aren't smart.

No offense. You have to "learn" that's how you become smarter.

>Smart
How do we stop the dunning kruger effect?

Why would you want to? It gives people motivation.

I am an intelligent person though, writing is just my biggest weakness. I can string together good sentences and well-written, well-structured papers for my university papers (law), but it takes me a long time to get it right. I'm constantly trying to overcome writer's block when I have a good idea because I can't convey my ideas how I would like, and I have always thought it was because I had a poor vocabulary. There was a thread on here sometime last year where anons were doing a vocab quiz to see who had the best vocab and I got an awful score. I have definitely improved my technical English skills since then, but learning a lot of new words (and actually being able to recall them without being prompted is hard.

If anyone has some good resources I can use to improve my vocabulary and some good advanced grammar books, that would be great.

>Strong vocabulary makes you smarter

Not how it works, user. Words are just tools to convey thoughts or ideas. Intelligence is the ability to create unique, thoughtful, and ultimately true ideas from your own consciousness. To put it another way, the difference between an intelligent man and an imbecile is quite like the difference between sculpters—One can have all the greatest and latest tools, but they won't rival Bernini without having that innate genius.

Read more, your vocab should expand, otherwise your arent smart.

I actually think that overthinking one's own capabilities is what's making so many people depressed.

As a kid I could figure out the meaning of words without knowing them simply because I recognized the systematic measures used in creating English. I figured out the meaning of many "big" words on my own because I understood the principles of language. If you consider intelligence natural, I was able to memorize a vast vocabulary without question.

Do you have a memory problem? Memories are scattered in the top of the back of the brain, not the front, where linguistics are interpreted. This means that vocabulary is more of a memory problem than a writing problem.

Easy guide

Read stuff published in your field
Find words you don't know
Look them up
Use them in your later writings.

Each occupation has it's own vocabulary and argot. A sailor has his bowlines, mizzen-masts, brow, yards, etc. A poet has meter, iambs, feet, spondees, pentameters and fourteeners, etc. You must learn the language of your trade. There is no catch-all book that you can read to better your vocabulary. It comes with time.

What makes people more depressed is "knowledge."

People don't have trouble believing what they are told, and if they know that other people are depressed, they will often act more depressed. People have a very slight hivemind effect on each other, although it isn't powerful.

I mean yeah, that's what I thought. I don't think i'm suffering from some Dunning-Kruger effect, I just think my greatest talent doesn't lie in writing and I need practice. Some people are naturally gifted speakers and can convey their ideas with ease (for example, Jordan Peterson), others aren't so good and require a lot of practice to be even close in skill as naturally gifted writers.

>LMAO Gyez I'm really smart I just didn't put in the effort.

Yes I think I have a not-so-good short term memory, but I think part of that problem is just me having a short attention-span - and that is probably from spending too much time fucking around on my computer for so long.

When I read difficult books I know the meaning to the 'bigger' words, its just difficult to incorporate them into my working vocabulary so I can use them to better convey my ideas.

But understand the difference between your practical application, and however smart your ego makes you think you are.
>"Having a short attention-span"

Well, the more issues you add-on, the less impressive your mind is, right?

>"Its"

You are supposed to say "it is" or "it's" even. So maybe you have a linguistics problem instead then. I don't really know.

What exactly are you trying to learn? Do you even know? Did you just make this thread to take pity because you want us to believe you are smart but you can't prove it?

>tfw stupid but have good vocabulary skills and listened in HS English classes, so I have acceptable writing skills

Nah m8 youre a brainlet trying to compensate for your brainletness by saying you didnt pay attention in school.Its ok im a brainlet too. Just try harder you dongus.

Just have a pool of 500 or so ten cent vocabulary words at the ready that you could pull from. It feels like that's what all the good writers do anyways.

I disagree on knowledge making one miserable. I think it's pseudoknownlegde that does one harm.