Ernst Jünger

>Ernst Jünger

Impressive

Other urls found in this thread:

nupress.northwestern.edu/content/worker-0
telospress.com/store/#!/Eumeswil-paperback/p/53032948/category=4186633
youtube.com/watch?v=wcV1UpZAWAc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Imagine being Ernst Junger in 2018 and having to be all like "damn, /pol/, you fuckin' fine, all sexy with your plebeian populism and horrific crypto-nazi NEET shitposting. I would totally identify as one of you, both my character and the real me." when all he really wants to do is fight another world war in his coffin. Like seriously imagine having to be Junger and not only sit in that grave while /pol/ flaunts its disgusting politics all over you, the favorable anonymity barely concealing the acne and morbid obesity, and just sit there, post after post, thread after thread, while they perfected that ideology. Not only having to tolerate its monstrous fucking visage but its haughty attitude as everyone on set tells her she's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION LOOKS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch its mannish fucking gremlin face contort into types of LARPing you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blonde beasts and Prussian junkers and later alleged July 20 plot conspirators for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in Heidelberg. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the sweat that's breaking out on her dimpled trap stomach as she sucks it in to writhe it suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to sit there and revel in her "Western (for that is what she calls herself)" beauty, the beauty she worked so hard for with gaudy romantic painting threads in the previous months. And then OP calls for another "redpilled literature" thread, and you know you could kill every single person on this board before the janitors could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking dead. You're not going to lose your salvation over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

>Throughout his life he had experimented with drugs such as ether, cocaine, and hashish; and later in life he used mescaline and LSD. These experiments were recorded comprehensively in Annäherungen (1970, Approaches). The novel Besuch auf Godenholm (1952, Visit to Godenholm) is clearly influenced by his early experiments with mescaline and LSD. He met with LSD inventor Albert Hofmann and they took LSD together several times.

I feel like anything I do with my life, no matter how grand, will never match the sheer scope and gravity of everything this dude went through and saw in his time.

>Assigned to an administrative position in Paris, he socialized with prominent artists of the day such as Picasso and Jean Cocteau.

>Jünger was a friend of Martin Heidegger. Jünger was admired by Julius Evola who published a book called L'Operaio nel pensiero di Ernst Juenger (1960), in which he summarized The Worker.

>Jünger was among the forerunners of magical realism. His vision in The Glass Bees (1957, German title: Gläserne Bienen), of a future in which an automated machine-driven world threatens individualism, could be seen as science fiction.

This guy not only ran with a who's who of the 20th century, remembered and embraced the remnants of the 19th, but also predicted some of the key elements of the 21st. Impressive af

>Among the trips in the geographical and metaphysical worlds, which I am attempting to describe there, are those of a purely sedentary man, who explores the archipelagos beyond the navigable seas, for which he uses drugs as a vehicle. I give extracts from his log book. Certainly, I cannot allow this Columbus of the inner globe to end well-he dies of a poisoning. Avis au lecteur

He was a good 50 years ahead of his time. thanks for letting me know about this guy OP. I have to read his work before I judge whether or not he is a good author, but from the looks of it it seems like as a cultural figure he was a good 50 years ahead of the curve.

>One of his many hobbies was the collection of antique sandglasses, on which he was an authority

I love this man

>Ernst Jünger had 16 pocket-size diary notebooks after his almost four years in the trenches of the Western Front 1914-1918 – "quite a pile of them", as he put it, totally 1500 pages.

Aspiring writers can learn from this.

This is impressive.

Where do I start with Junger?

So where can I find the elusive unabridged edition of Storm of Steel in English?

>What were their expectations as they approached Mr Jünger's pleasant home in Wilflingen, southern Germany? Should they praise his 100 or so books (“Ever read any, Helmut?”), or his bravery as a soldier, or ask to see his famous collection of 40,000 beetles?

>A year before his death Jünger converted to Catholicism and began to receive the Sacraments.

Storm of Steel is a good start because the work is fairly easy to find and is inexpensive.

A translation of The Worker just came out. It is one of his most important works.

>This work, appearing in its entirety in English translation for the first time, is an important contribution to debates on work, technology, and politics by one of the most controversial German intellectuals of the twentieth century.

nupress.northwestern.edu/content/worker-0

Telo Press released Eumeswil which is another really special book.

>Eumeswil, ostensibly a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel, is effectively a comprehensive synthesis of Ernst Jünger’s mature thought, with a particular focus on new and achievable forms of individual freedom in a technologically monitored and managed postmodern world. Here Jünger first fully develops his figure of the anarch, the inwardly liberated and outwardly pragmatic individual, who lives peacefully in the heart of Leviathan and is yet able to preserve his individuality and freedom.

telospress.com/store/#!/Eumeswil-paperback/p/53032948/category=4186633

Many of his works have not been translated into English. I hope that this will change some day.

Nice.

How to fuck are you supposed to compete with this guy?

How is this allowed?

What's your native language?
If it's English then German shouldn't be too hard to learn.
I know you will likely never enjoy it from the perspective of a native speaker but it can open so many doors if you're willing to give it a go.

>Throughout the war, it was always my endeavour to view my opponent without animus, and to form an opinion of him as a man on the basis of the courage he showed.

>What's your native language?

It is French, but my English is very good.

>it can open so many doors if you're willing to give it a go

My mind is on mastering Ancient Greek.
Should I achieve this, I may turn my eyes towards the German tongue.

translations aren't an issue. I can read german pretty well but I've never read Junger

Guys like him only come around once every couple of thousand years.

I just recently started doing this. Always in my back pocket.

Aaaah! I remember this pasta

>Lachman
>writing on Junger
>while I'm researching Junger
>in a book I didn't know about
>on a topic really important to me

my nigga, goddamn

thanks for this post

Lad, believe me you don't have the faintest idea on how much good literature from post ww2 Europe anglos haven't translated.

Top tier pasta friend, many laughs.

Good man

Blown by the winds of fate.

Sounds like a fag.

>not using your phone so you can write and walk and blend into normieland

Anyone have the version of the second one that is pepe smiling in the space suit with text:
>You will explore space.

He was a real human bean. And a real hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=wcV1UpZAWAc

Most of his work is in german

The penguin classics edition is meant to be one of most true editions. It is translated by Hoffman, one of Jungers friends. So yes, get that one.

The man for whom dreams came true

übermensch tier desu

Terrible advise, the Penguin version omits politically incorrect and unexpedient commentary that gives the book it's unique view on the war in the first place. They practically turn it into a Bertrand Russell book.

penguin also edited the parts on stirner in camus' work.

they're waging a silent war on stirnerists (of which junger was one)

Junger himself wanted the youthful enthusiasms removed from the book, and the work is better for having been changed.

I like reading things more authentic to the attitudes of their original composition. I can absolutely understand authors expurgating and amending their old works, we all want to do it when we see shit we wrote, especially in the public eye. But it's more interesting for us to see those things.

>stirnerfags make everything about them
Pottery

He didn't edit out the good parts until the 30s, the version that got him famous and won wife acclaim is the more authentic earlier version. The Hoffman one is based on the 60s version which is even more shit because it's post-denazification. What makes Storm of Steel so good in the first place is the authenticity, it's a window into what he actually thought and did rather than some politicized pr-friendly propaganda piece. I want it to be revealing of his youthful thoughts at the time, not filtered through his middle aged and elderly lethargy.

Anyone else here read his essay 'The Retreat Into the Forest'? My favourite work of his imo, which was fairly controversial in its time (1950s).

>tfw I speak German
Really need to read this

Are you religious? Why are you learning ancient Greek? Wouldn't you rather learn something contemporary?

This. Have fuck tons of notes with phrases, ideas/etc that occur to me over the day. Not pretentious enough to take out a small notebook

>Why are you learning ancient Greek?

I love ancient philosophy.

>ἕτερον δέ γέ πού φαμεν τὸ ἕτερον εἶναι ἑτέρου, kαὶ τὸ ἄλλο δὴ ἄλλο εἶναι ἄλλου;

What translation would you recommend, I only know of Creightons translation which had many parts of it misinterpreted due to misunderstanding the language.

Many of Jungers editions of Storm of Steel are lost or very old. The penguin edition is not a bad one.

Storm of Steel has been changed very many times and almost all of those times were with Jünger's approval. I doubt you'd be able to find an English translation of the nationalistic edition, which I myself wouldn't mind reading.

>evola
>who's who

However the original diary notes have been published recently

it's on libgen

Veeky Forums strikes again

Ps thanks for the post OP, must look into this guy

Any physical copies available anywhere?

>Its sharp disapproval of violent masses, as well as its prediction or description of death camps, was noted and helped Jünger's rehabilitation after the Second World War although he had not gone into exile like most anti-Nazi authors. Jünger himself, however, refused the notion that the book was a statement of resistance, describing it rather as a "shoe that fits various feet".

Did anyone else think of Steve Jobs when reading the Glass Bees?

What sort of stuff do you record?

Dear diary.
Today I went to work, I then came home and posted on Veeky Forums.

His most important work to me is his second book, “Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis” (Struggle as an inner Experience). It is his philosophical addendum to his first book “Storm of Steel” - basically a warrior manifesto. Absolute justification and glorification of war. And guess what? The book hasn’t even been translated into English, the international language of proles, apparently.

His younger brother, Friedrich Junger is also a good writer. Read his book "The Failure of Technology".

Yeah I know that book. It’s fantastic. I only really like the early Jünger. Later in life he got infected with abrahamism and turned into a peacenik. Poor bastard.

On Pain is great as well

On Pain has very recently been translated and is a short essay. Forest Passage has also recently been translated and is short.

Junger is experiencing a bit of a heyday lately, not sure why. Interesting stuff. Hopefully it leads to even more translations.

>infected wih abrahamism and turned into a peacenik. Poor bastard
Lol see

when you’ve only read his wiki but you think you can comment on his body of work

>not realising it's a copypasta

>he doesn’t understand how embarassing the Nazis were to right wing intellectuals like Spengler and Junger who had integrity and how hard Nietzsche would’ve rejected them

What was embarrassing about them?

Didn't he collect bugs in the trenches and wrote about them?

read the pasta then chop off a finger for me sweetie, all critiques of /pol/ apply directly back to the original niggers

He was a lover of beetles, and other bugs too.

>Jünger himself was a keen entomologist, and a species of beetle that he discovered is named after him.

Did he collect insects in the trenches?

>He's not a historical revisionist and he uncritically accepts what he learned in AP world history

Brilliant

>not reading the critical German edition that contains every revision Jünger ever made
monoglotlets when will they learn?

But I speak many tongues, just not German.

Nietzsche broke contact with his sister because she married an anti-semite. Nietzsche loved nothing more than the Jews and was an anti-nazi.

Reminder that Junger didn't like life and was /ourguy/, too bad he cucked out for Catholicism because he was scared of death

>"I do not consider myself an active man. My life has been devoted to reading the classics, and every time I've intermingled with reality, it has disappointed me".

Whatever makes u happy son

creightons translation is great desu. hoffmann contain a lot of mistranslations as well as he is not a military man and makes things a bit confusing or irrational because he doesn't get the military jargon. I've read both, i read hoffman first loved it, then found a copy of creighton and loved it even more. the shit thats cut out of hoffmann is inexcusable. creightons is fine and if you are going to read one version it should be that.