Why are the English obssesed with dystopian ideals...

Why are the English obssesed with dystopian ideals? The more I look into it the two most popular books that use it are set in London (1984 and brave New world). There are shows like black mirror which is from the UK. There are even games set and made in UK as well. Several movies too like a clockwork Orange and v for vendetta.

because their eternal enemies were totalitarian regimes (ruskys and germans), they´re afraid they will becpme like them

Red trees are aesthetic as hell imo.

England is a dystopia. Shitty food, shitty weather, royalty exists even in modern times, their queen is old and ugly, their houses are small, etc.

They have to keep imagining a worse world than the shithole island theyre living in now otherwise existing would become too untenable.

top kek

>because their eternal enemies were totalitarian regimes (ruskys and germans), they´re afraid they will becpme like them

Our eternal enemies are the French and Germans (threat of continental hegemony), and the final boss is the USA (perversion of British values on steroids with 5x population and an entire continent of resources).The Russians are a fellow European Periphery country thus, despite being temporary enemies, we are natural allies. Indeed in all the big conflicts (Napoleonic Wars, First and Second World War, etc), they were allied.

>Why are the English obssesed with dystopian ideals?
Because we had one of the earliest tastes of non-monarchial autocracy with Cromwell's Commonwealth of England which was a kind of puritanical dystopia. This left a lasting impression and the literary tradition has never forgotten the fear of dystopia.

>Murica is a continent, mates!

They've been getting kiked for longer than most.

It's a form of reductio ad absurdum with some irony. It's a much more interesting way describing the world than just whining about it.

Because we are also the most utopian and the modern inventors of utopian ideals. We got the scientific revolution and Enlightenment project started.

I think the answer is small-c conservatism. After the mess that was the English Revolution, as mentions, the Britbong consensus was for gradual change, not grand radical schemes to make the world better (eg the French Revolution, Communism). Also visible in philosophy- scepticism and empiricism, not romantic idealist weirdness. The British dystopias are in this vein, critiques of grand collectivist schemes and defences of individual liberty.

Because London itself is the closest thing to a dystopia you could find, we're not even benefiting from all the surveilance as the goverment keeps cutting police funding as violent crime rates rise. The average londoner is on 70 cameras a day.

Because they are boring retards who can only think in a reductionist way so they take one bad aspect of society and exaggerate it to the extreme.
Every time I hear an Anglo say "Orwellian" I puke.

This is what Inner Party bias looks like. Begone thug

setting aside the fact that you don't know the difference between england and the uk

you could equally say
"why are the british obsessed with writing great plays"
or
"why are the british obsessed with making dictionaries"
or
"why are the british obsessed with scientific discovery"
etc etc etc

it's because britain was the first and/or best at everything. britain invented the modern world. including the idea of what would happen if it was destroyed.

>Society could be worse, so don't rock the boat and obey our masters

There's a reason the two dystopian books were written by and set in england, a monarchist imperialist hell hole.

>literally ruled over people who think they have superior blood / ordained by god

That is scifi levels right there.

Industrialization hit them harder than other nations

I don't know why you posted about those two things you didn't start at all when it was literally a englishman who coined (or popularized) the term utopia. I didn't know he was a saint though

Britain is the idea of what would happen with the modern world if it was destroyed.

Missing the point intentionally

Writers are smart people and a lot of them feel compelled to imagine what the future will be like if we do not change things in the present.

You're right about these writers being idiots for thinking that their books will change the world. Global warming and over population will destroy all quality of life except for the elites if nuclear war does not get us all first. Why not just give in to hedonism?

>it's because britain was the first and/or best at everything.

He's right, you know

why are the british so obsessed with cutting off the balls of homosexuals

The Queen eats them.

Bongs are a miserable people on a miserable island so they compensate by saying WELL IT COULD BE WAY WORSE. Probably why theyre so into diversity rn to try and make themselves feel better.

london is the best city in the world, and highly literary with it

if you're thinking of turing it was hormones senpai.

like every civilization made dictionaries, there's a chinese one from the 3rd century.

Because we're pessimistic.

>like every civilization made dictionaries, there's a chinese one from the 3rd century.
nobody suggested they didn't
the british also didn't invent the dystopian novel. "we" was published in 1921 and influenced both huxley and orwell. but still 1984 and brave new world are better known (in europe and the usa anyway)

>Have to re-mortgage my house to buy a pint
>Best city in the world
Sure

We just hate ourselves basically

Yeah man, red maple is the shit

Dylan, are you still fooling around on the internet? I told you to get to bed. You have school tomorrow.

And I fucking warned you about samefagging, you little prick.

After bankrupting and exhausting ourselves fighting the Nazis, we're pretty suspicious of utopianism, authoritarianism and nationalism. Which is what most British dystopias portray. And which Murcans just don't get ...

Oh fuck off. Every country worth reading has written about dystopian societies. The English aren’t special and they don’t write the most about dystopia

Then you haven’t read enough if you believe that

Because they are totalitarian countries where dissent is frowned upon (get in line, don't step out of your place, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it, respect the flag etc.)

So the only way to criticize the present is to write books like, what if it was like the present, but too much?