I'm teaching myself philosophy. I'd appreciate help with this

I'm teaching myself philosophy. I'd appreciate help with this.

I noticed that in a lot of the lectures that I watch online—lectures recorded in the past decade, at liberal arts departments from around the country—the professors preface the lesson with what i can only, crassly, refer to as: "feminist" and "pro-diversity" context.

I understand trying to frame ancient ideas in a scope that makes sense for students today, but I think sometimes political commentary is gratuitously added as though it were directly from the original author of the work.

The last few lectures I watched were on Kierkegaard, and I just found it strange how the video begins with a discussion about women's role in 50s America, or how somehow Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra requires a recap of racial segregation before the Civil Rights Act. The connections are loose at best.

My question is, someone trying to learn philosophy at home, how do I spot genuine attempts at modernising old ideas vs. blatant ideological indoctrination?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yat0ZKduW18
m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ByQMQ5o7AM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just read the books, don't listen to anyone, if you have doubt read more books.

The whole point of a lecture to have someone help you get a deeper understanding of complicated works, which on the surface might not seem as important as they are.

There are these things called secondary sources and introductions

I've honestly never seen a lecture on Kierkegaard that had a preface in women's role. Care to post the video so I know what your talking about?
It sounds like you may have you just binged a bunch of Peterson videos and now are trying to branch out, and now are looking for ways the video is political.
If you start from the beginning (The greeks) there is enough information in the introductions of each work for you to be able to have a decent understanding of what you read. Moreso than any video or lecture you watch, especially when first starting out

Why are you bringing up peterson? How is that guy relevant at all to what's being discussed? It sounds like you binged a bunch of anti peterson videos/articles.

Very curious post. I only saw one Peterson video and it was the infamous Channel 4 interview.

How ironic. In trying to call out some user for looking for ways something could be political, you blatantly do the exact thing yourself.

I have watched several thousand hours of philosophy lectures online and have never run into this problem. Maybe you are bad t finding good sources.

Please post, would love to see these intros.

What sentence in what I wrote did you take as political?
I asked if you could post that Kierkegaard video because I've personally never seen anything of the sort, and wanted to know how the fuck 50s women's movement and what work of his relate.
My observation of you watching a bunch of Peterson videos is not something incriminating. I said it seems like you now want to branch out, and good for you for doing so.
I just wonder if because of his videos you have become hyper sensitive to anything a professor says. To be honest that looks to be the case with you....
If you want to continue looking into lecture videos please just use then as supplementary, a good person to start with is Gregory B. Sadler.
Relax bucko, and clean your room.

Come on, post the vids.

so you going to reply to

Is that a photo of hell?

Understanding is something you discover yourself if you receive "understanding" from someone else it is just information posing as understanding.

Try studying philosophy in Germany.

Try watching Sadler's lectures. He focuses on explaining the authors views and ideas, and (usually) never impliments his own views into the lectures.

>implying you can talk about anything without "implimenting" your own views

>I noticed that in a lot of the lectures that I watch online—lectures recorded in the past decade, at liberal arts departments from around the country—the professors preface the lesson with what i can only, crassly, refer to as: "feminist" and "pro-diversity" context.

b8 thread. OP cannot post a single philosophy lecture where this happen

When you make students pay thousands of dollars to attend your class they are no longer students, they are customers.

That's the sale pitch so that they won't ask their money back.

And trust me it's not the professor's fault. All that tuition money doesn't go in the adjunct teaching undergrad pockets, it goes towards the administration and the football coaches. Those professors are just trying not to get fired by students either protesting them for not having their exact poitics, or by writing bad teacher evaluation talking about how irrelevant and boring the course was.

And again, when there is a conflict between students and professors the administration always sides with those that pay: the students.

I studied both in europe and the US, and in Europe professors don't give a shit about what you think of their bibliography. You also can attend class for free because it's paid by the state so free for all citizens (you have only to pay tuition if you are pursuing a degree).

youtube.com/watch?v=Yat0ZKduW18
Watch these lectures starting with the first user

Concise overview of the degeneration of American academia. It's nothing to do with politics, it's the fact that it's now profit-driver and the staff (professors) need money.

seconding this.
a history of philosophy is a good podcast

Post the lectures on Kierkegaard, I'm curious.

>mfw

Is a woman or homosexual lecturing? If yes, avoid.

He maybe gay, but he is pretty good informational with his analysis.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ByQMQ5o7AM

Read the books by yourself and talk to people who aren't these partizani garbage that has taken control of the uni's.
You will be much better alone reading the books and chatting on the internet, them watching the garbage you just mentioned.

The professor is just bringing up issues as examples that most people would understand.
I think racial segregation and american chattel slavery are good starting points for Americans to get a base understanding of slave and master morality, for Americans at least.
>ideological indoctrination
Wew lad. You're meant to be learning a variety of ideologies with an open mind, absorbing the ideas without ideological dismissal, to truly grasp them then criticize them. If you're afraid of being indoctrinated by academia, you're not learning right, nor do I believe you want to learn. It's more likely you're just searching for evidence of what you already believe rather than developing that belief or actually learning other arguements.
The reason university philosophy has tge reputation of making teenagers Marxists is because university is the first time these kids are actually taught what Marx argued straight from the books and not from a teacher who speaks of Marx with spite.
My best advice for you is to actually take a class. If you're American, community is fine. This way you can't pick names which you think prop you up, and you'll be knocked down a peg by a professor like all smartasses who get all their ideas from youtube do.

You are literally arguing that reading books is wrong. Maybe you should rethink your life.

There is such thing is having too open a mind.

This didn't happen, but even if it did, then so what? What so wrong about teachers caring about minorities? Kys.

Sage this bullshit thread. /pol/ propaganda isn't welcome here.