What are your favorite English words? Those you consider most beautiful, have the greatest definition etc

What are your favorite English words? Those you consider most beautiful, have the greatest definition etc

Plump

Nostalgia

"Yonder" and "lopsided".

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPFFFFP_PPPHHPPTTTTFFFfffff...

Gay

grls

True

Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

Thats Latin. But it's in the English dictionary so yeah.

asunder

Flabergasted. Lullaby. Cunt.

Void

Fart. I fucking hate this word, but can't deny that it does its job to perfection.

Apotheosis. Enlightenment. Renaissance. Universe. Philosophy. Malice. Aristocratic.

kafkaesque, orwellian, lynchian, petersonian, sadleresque, cliffian

Bowels, I just loved how my tongue rolls when I say it, reminds me of actual bowels contracting in their jiggly bowel-y way.

This.

>CUPCAKE

Judged from a purely sonic perspective this has everything:
- letter "C"
- letter "P"
- nice alliteration on the "C"
- easily-rhymed ending for use in verse
- perky, upbeat trochaic rhythm

D.H.Lawrence, poor priapic lunatic that he was, *loved* talking about bowels.

Here he is in typical form in The Rainbow:

So the Brangwens came and went without fear of necessity, working hard because of the life that was in them, not for want of the money. Neither were they thriftless. They were aware of the last halfpenny, and instinct made them not waste the peeling of their apple, for it would help to feed the cattle. But heaven and earth was teeming around them, and how should this cease? They felt the rush of the sap in spring, they knew the wave which cannot halt, but every year throws forward the seed to begetting, and, falling back, leaves the young-born on the earth. They knew the intercourse between heaven and earth, sunshine drawn into the breast and bowels, the rain sucked up in the daytime, nakedness that comes under the wind in autumn, showing the birds' nests no longer worth hiding. Their life and interrelations were such; feeling the pulse and body of the soil, that opened to their furrow for the grain, and became smooth and supple after their ploughing, and clung to their feet with a weight that pulled like desire, lying hard and unresponsive when the crops were to be shorn away. The young corn waved and was silken, and the lustre slid along the limbs of the men who saw it. They took the udder of the cows, the cows yielded milk and pulse against the hands of the men, the pulse of the blood of the teats of the cows beat into the pulse of the hands of the men. They mounted their horses, and held life between the grip of their knees, they harnessed their horses at the wagon, and, with hand on the bridle-rings, drew the heaving of the horses after their will.

"Bollocks."

Just the most satisfying word to pronounce. The fact that it's so dismissive and disdainful of everything elevates the speaker to the status of a god.

Underrated.

There are times when only the word "cunt" will do. Although "vulva" is such a pleasant word to pronounce.

Volvo

frost
cauldron
peekey
home

Was Dali against Christianity? It seems like this painting is saying Christianity will be crushed under the onsaught of modern decadence ecclecticism and general confusion. But the way he portrays that sickly figure of Jesus is hardly dignified, being relegated inthe corner and holding up some mangled twigs. Very uncanny.

dickhead

Serendipity

Opprobrious
Jejune

>jejune
what a fuckin retarded word where did you even get that from haha u gotta be shit me

Yearning

That's a retarded statement.

chiaroscuros

Reading the Rainbow is like chewing over a mouthful of vomit sometimes

>Judged from a purely sonic perspective this has everything:
>- letter "C"
>- letter "P"

Pederast.

remote

I love it so much

Can anyone answer this?

it's St. Anthony, not Jesus

a big idea within Christianity is that the temptations of the world, while you're still IN the world, are very difficult to resist. So it makes sense that these things would dominate the composition.

Irrespective of that theological perspective, I think that something that anyone who has been tempted (all of us, even seculars) must be well aware of is how a really strong compulsion can totally dominate all our thoughts (think of those stupid cartoons of people stranded in a raft where the hungry passengers start seeing each other as cheeseburgers). Considered in that light, I think the painting accurately depicts that experience of temptation.

Furthermore, Christianity does not subscribe to the pagan morality where big power is the ultimate goal. The key scene, for most Christians--the essence of the symbol that they use to identify themselves, the literal crux of history--is their messiah's tortuous, "ignominious" death. If there is anything uncanny about Anthony here, it surely pales in comparison to the indignity involved in death by crucifixion--where the creator of the universe did not merely hold up some mangled twigs, but was nailed to them...

Okay thanks. I suppose it was rash to assume that was Jesus but I'd seen Dali's other depictions of Christ, like with short hair and no beard. I just don't want to catch myself indulging in anything explicitly blasphemous and I quite like this painting.

if you're that worried about blaspheming yet didn't know that wasn't Christ in the picture, you should reevaluate your priorities

Furtive
Pygmy

Bonus round: furtive pygmy

I understand now that I probably could have reverse image-searched and had my concers alleyed but I don't think internet savvy is a factor of one's piety.

I love the word "girl." I hate "woman." AMA

>I love the word "girl." I hate "woman." AMA

thunderfuck

you just made that up

cognoscenti

Eloquence is single handedly the best word in the English dictionary.

Do not @me

Imperative

Good emo music

man ds1 was such a pleasant surprise

i miss having fun

Best In Thread

Have a catgirl

>choosing anything other than Floccinaucinihilipilification

>English

Best answer. I pity the Americans who don't have the chance to use this word.

Euphoria

Flabbergasted

It sounds fucking retarded and that makes it even more perfect for what it's supposed to describe

shimmer

This is Saint Anthony, not Jesus

Beauty it's just... It just sounds so beautiful, atleast compared to our norwegian word: "vakker" wich means the very same thing.

cellar door

pulchritude :3

Philology

opulence

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Abattoir
>Gorgeous phonetics
>Ugly definition
>DatDichotomy.jpg