How do you take notes while reading Veeky Forums...

How do you take notes while reading Veeky Forums? Do you think writing marginalia is a good idea or do you think it ruins the book?

If I'm going to open the book to read some notes on the side I might as well just reread the page

i just mark sections to reread for aesthetics in fic and knwledg in non

I underline a lot but usually only annotate with post it notes. or take notes separately in a notebook.

I copy phrases I like into commonplace books, and take notes on themes and aesthetics, characterization. I can't get store credit if I sell them with underlining/highlighting.

Anyone care to share some dank tips on reading journals?

I wish I could read those notes so we could all have a laugh

For the last few months I've been using pic related. The notes are in a separate notebook

Are all those symbols unique? Are they better than numbers?

Most of my books are from Folio Society or something equally expensive, so no.

I've never seen anything insightful written in a books margin

Numbers are for written notes
asterisks are to highlight 1-2 sentences
Phi's are for highlighting a paragraph, the dots notating how many paragraphs
the crosses are to highlight everything between the single cross and double cross
the triple underline denotes that i think the note is especially important or a useful quote

My note taking is awfully plain, maybe even crude. I'd like to implement something more operational like yours, especially now when I'm digesting longer, and more complex books.

That's because it's not for other people to read, really. It's for jotting down your own thoughts and questions mid-read so that you can better retain/come back to the information you're reading without having to put down the book and disrupt your reading.

Yes. I also dogear important pages(this triggers Veeky Forums)

I'd be interested to know how many people go back to read their marginalia

Simply the act of writing something down or highlighting a certain part is enough to commit it to memory for a lot of people. The point is to get you actively reading and thinking about what the author is trying to say rather than just staring at the words and maybe visualizing. So it doesn't really matter too much whether you go back and read them or not.

Well said

It isn't marginalia but sometimes I go back and check my notes and find shit like this.

What's the context?

Yes, marginalia is good, but you just need to make sure what you're writing there isn't totally stupid. Otherwise you'll cringe when you see it again.

>i literally write "lol" sometimes
>tfw promising young writer
>some timeline may exist where i'm a celebrated author
>die
>people scour my papers and find my retarded shit